PDA

View Full Version : Land line or not????

bobbyB
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
We started looking into high speed internet this past week and the thought has crossed our minds that maybe we could do away with out land line phone service and save ourselves $40. Have any of you done this? Are there any hiddens where not considering?

B

JimN
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
If you want DSL, they may not let you kill the land line but you can drop long distance and some of the other things that jack the price up. I dropped everything except the basic line (for faxing) and make very few calls, but I do have DSL. Saved a bunch but I'm not going back to cable since I changed to satellite. My DSL is about $19.95/mo, not the highest speed but it's about 1.3MB/S.

dmayer84
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
We are about to switch over to verizon FIOS (www.verizon.com/fios) 20/5 Mbps internet, Voip phone with 3 hr battery backup unlimited long distance and 200 channels of tv for 99 a month. We currently have the fios internet and cable cant even match the deals.

bobbyB
02-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Good point about the line for a fax.

Verizon won't let you take long distance and other stuff off. There basic low package is $29 and then tack a bunch of fees on to get it up to around $40. Tried to take some options off and they wouldn't let me.:mad: Right now I think I want to dump the servise just because of the principle of the matter, and just use the cell.

bobbyB
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
We are about to switch over to verizon FIOS (www.verizon.com/fios) 20/5 Mbps internet, Voip phone with 3 hr battery backup unlimited long distance and 200 channels of tv for 99 a month. We currently have the fios internet and cable cant even match the deals.

We live about 3 miles out of town and Verizon doesn't offer high speed internet out here yet. I keep entering my address in the web site and it gives me the thumbs down. Shari's going to try to contact them and find out when they think it'll get to us.

LakePirate
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
There is going to be naked DSL (dsl with no phone line) available soon. At least in the 9 former BellSouth States.

Andyg
02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
If you decide to drop the phone service you can always get vonage if you have your internet through cable. Vonage is a VOIP phone service. I think there unlimited plan is $25 a month. I had Vonage when I lived in the Milwaukee area and loved it. I was extremely disappointed when I moved that I couldn't get cable at the new house for our internet or tv.

We ended up getting a PC card from Verizon for our internet that runs off the cell towers. It was the only high speed internet option for us other than satellite, which is not very reliable. Vonage will not work with the PC card unfortunately so we had to get a land line also. I hate paying for a land line. The cost is ridiculous for the service you get. I guess that is the price you have to pay when you live out ini the boonies like I do.

jimmer2880
02-27-2007, 07:30 AM
We have had Vonage over our Cable internet for about 3 years now. Absolute love it & the $400.00 it saves us every year over telco based phone service. It's not perfect, but it does work well. Every now & then we have to go "power cycle" the vonage box. I really like the feature where if our cable line is down, all incoming calls get auto-forwarded to another number (like my wife's cell). As far as faxing goes - I just use one of the online fax services instead.

Farmer Ted
02-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I switched to Packet8 (Thanks BrianM!) similar service to Vonage.

Love the service, really dig having voice mails emailed to me.

Click on the link in my signature and you'll see the services offered by them.

BrianM
02-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I use Packet 8 at home and Vonage at my office. Both great services that save a ton of money over a land line phone. Unlimited calling(local and long distance) for about $25 a month total including taxes and fees.

When I switched to cable internet from dial up I switch over the phones as well. Almost made the cost a wash from what I was paying before with much better service.

As said before the VOIP providers are not absolutely perfect but they are close. Add in the reduced cost and all of the added features and to me it is a no brainer.

By the way Farmer you are going to have to change that signature. Packet 8 is going up to I believe $21.99 a month. Just got the e-mail a week or so ago.

lawless1
02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
We dropped the land line several years ago and never looked back. The only risk is when you call emergency services with a land line your address is presented to the switchboard. This does not occur with a cellular phone. We have digital cable for TV, DVR, and high speed internet and it runs us about $100/month for our package. Not the cheapest but enjoy the faster internet and DVR. Dropping the land line allowed us to step up the services to faster internet and DVR w/o addition expense.

jraben8
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
We have had Vonage over our Cable internet for about 3 years now. Absolute love it & the $400.00 it saves us every year over telco based phone service. It's not perfect, but it does work well. Every now & then we have to go "power cycle" the vonage box. I really like the feature where if our cable line is down, all incoming calls get auto-forwarded to another number (like my wife's cell). As far as faxing goes - I just use one of the online fax services instead.

We have had the same experiences with Vonage as well and it's really tough to beat the price. It was a pain to get the monitored security system to communicate correctly because they are looking for an analog signal from the security box but my wife found out that it does work now since she set it off yesterday morning letting the dogs out.

bobbyB
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Sounds like I better look into Vonage. If the total is $25 then I save $15 right out of the gate. Cost to upgrade to high speed is $20. Net increase of only $5....not too bad. Off to research, thanks for the input.

B

BrianM
02-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Sounds like I better look into Vonage. If the total is $25 then I save $15 right out of the gate. Cost to upgrade to high speed is $20. Net increase of only $5....not too bad. Off to research, thanks for the input.

B

That was pretty much the math that made me switch. For the record I think Packet 8 offers slightly better service and slightly less cost.

bobbyB
02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
That was pretty much the math that made me switch. For the record I think Packet 8 offers slightly better service and slightly less cost.

Packet 8 added to list. Thanks

jimmer2880
02-27-2007, 01:20 PM
We dropped the land line several years ago and never looked back. The only risk is when you call emergency services with a land line your address is presented to the switchboard. This does not occur with a cellular phone. We have digital cable for TV, DVR, and high speed internet and it runs us about $100/month for our package. Not the cheapest but enjoy the faster internet and DVR. Dropping the land line allowed us to step up the services to faster internet and DVR w/o addition expense.

The 911 service was a wash to me, as you can program a "911" address when you subscribe. The only problem is, that if I program the address to my house, then, move the modem to the river place, if anyone calls 911 from the river, 911 will receive the home address. But - since our box NEVER leaves teh house - it's a non-issue for us.

milkmania
02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
There is going to be naked DSL (dsl with no phone line) available soon. At least in the 9 former BellSouth States.

whoo hoo, which states?

milkmania
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
We started looking into high speed internet this past week and the thought has crossed our minds that maybe we could do away with out land line phone service and save ourselves $40. Have any of you done this? Are there any hiddens where not considering?

B

I've got a friend that told the telco to stick it!
she switched to cable internet and Packet 8 for her business....
very simple procedure in her case.
disconnected her phone box, and backfed from the packet 8 modem into that box. that supplied the connection to the existing hardwired outlets already in the house.

her telco long distance was $300.00 + monthly for her home office phone, and whatever for her home phone and long distance.

saved her a bundle:twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2007, 11:46 PM

B
We have HS internet and have for a few years.
We dropped our land line about 2 years ago. And steadily watched the cell phone min. rise. Not to mention it became way too easy for people to get ahold of us. I also found it difficult to set up new misc. accounts, ie the banks want hard line numbers.

I went down that road and now have a land line again, with no messaging device on a trial basis.

cbryan70
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
OMG workin 4 toys are you back? ive missed ya

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
OMG workin 4 toys are you back? ive missed ya
Didn't know I left.....:confused: But, Thanks for the kind words...;)

Leroy
03-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Everyone has been looking for your and I was guessing maybe you were out shopping for a Honda or something like that! :D

Didn't know I left.....:confused: But, Thanks for the kind words...;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Everyone has been looking for your and I was guessing maybe you were out shopping for a Honda or something like that! :D
Well, if someone were looking, they must not have looked too hard. There are many folks here that have my phone #s, my email addresses, my mailing addresses. Some even know my "name" on other forums I frequent.:confused:

Leroy
03-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Well, if you do not mind PM them to me in case we get to looking for you again! I'll be the contact person!!:)

Glad to see you back!

Well, if someone were looking, they must not have looked too hard. There are many folks here that have my phone #s, my email addresses, my mailing addresses. Some even know my "name" on other forums I frequent.:confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Well, if you do not mind PM them to me in case we get to looking for you again! I'll be the contact person!!:)

Glad to see you back!
I am not sure what you looking at my back has to do with anything8p , I do know however you are near Bob so I guess it's self explanatory...8p

Leroy
03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
You know if Bob or I find a great deal on a Honda, how do we contact you?

There were many posts wondering where you were and what happened to you from 2/25!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 01:12 AM
You know if Bob or I find a great deal on a Honda, how do we contact you?

There were many posts wondering where you were and what happened to you from 2/25!
Trust me, you'd prefer not to ask....:cool:

I have ALL the honda's I can handle. I am getting tired of going to the Honda dealer for parts. And all I have is on Honda genrator, snowblower, and lawnmower. Any more than what I have, and it will force me to subcontract everything!!!! Unless of course Honda sells a housekeeper, I may investigate, I'd guess all the parts would be universal...