PDA

View Full Version : New Stick

LakePirate
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I am looking for a new stick for this season. Looks like I am going to jump off the Kidder/KD bandwagon. Everything I have read prior to the 07 tests say that the Monza is the best thing since sliced bread. Now I am reading that the Fischer is the best. The world records are safe from me, but I would like to pick up a couple of more buoys. Some of you clowns are in the know, what is the deal?

- Disclaimer -

This will not turn into a Erkle buying a bote or UMP buying a Monza thread. Hopefully. :o

ilikeitglacy
02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Always try the skis before you $$$... or buy skis from someone who begs you to bring it back if ya dont like it...

Brent
02-26-2007, 07:33 AM
The Monza is a great ski if you set it up correctly ,it is truly the most sensitive to set-up I've ever had! Fischer & Goode are worth checking out as well. Try before you buy are wise words when your talking about $1000 sticks!

P.S. Buy yourself a 8" caliper & angle gauges ,eye balling is not an option with these skis!

Link to some numbers that work.

http://www.carbonfins.com/FinChart.htm

TNH2oSkier
02-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Dont jump off the D-3 Bandwagon yet. The new Nomad should be much faster then the current one, and still have the stability of the d-3 (kd) your used to. The X-5 is still a very fast ski and could be picked up used for a bargain.

jimmer2880
02-26-2007, 11:02 AM
I just pulled the trigger on a Goode 9800 myself. Once the folks at Wileys wake up - I'm going to order a pair of soft boots from them.

The Fischer looked cool, but the model that the testers raved about isn't even listed yet (or - at least wasn't last week).

I sold my old 9200 in the fall & my wife has actually been nagging me ever since then about when I'm going to order it's replacement :D

BrianM
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I personally would stay away from a Fischer this year. They are BIG $$$ I think the retail is like $1,200 and they aren't available from many places plus they don't have a demo program. Seems like a lot of hype to me and there are a lot of other very fine skies out there.

pq2
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a new 07 monza and its helping me a lot, also you have a great backup from the company. Try it first and also try bindings that way you will put togheter the best set up for you. Other thing, the caliper its a great help, its amazing how it changes with little adjustments. Good luck.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I am looking for a new stick for this season. Looks like I am going to jump off the Kidder/KD bandwagon. Everything I have read prior to the 07 tests say that the Monza is the best thing since sliced bread. Now I am reading that the Fischer is the best. The world records are safe from me, but I would like to pick up a couple of more buoys. Some of you clowns are in the know, what is the deal?

- Disclaimer -

This will not turn into a Erkle buying a bote or UMP buying a Monza thread. Hopefully. :o
LAKEY!!! listen up my brutha! This WILL be like the Erk and UMP threads!:headbang: :steering:

OK, I think you need a Monza. Several reason why to buy.

1. lotsa peeps have them. easy to get settings, advice, recommendations, and you get to sit with the cool kids at lunch time & at recess.

2. I hear/read most of the other skis are pricier. The selling prices of the Fishers and Goodes are more money for sure and the others depend on where you buy them. the Monza seems to be a bit less money for great performance. you also get to sit with the cool kids at lunch time and at recess.

Call up MYMC and he will Hook you up with a fine ski for a fine deal!

Also, I will throw a plug in for Animal Bindings. Very comfortable! I also find them nice and firm to control the ski. the right and left foot specific insoles are AWESOME!

LakePirate
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Always try the skis before you $$$... or bye skis from someone who begs you to bring it back if ya dont like it...

That would be nice, however, unless I want to drive to Charlotte or Orlando I am SOL. No High End Skis in ATLANTA. I could always go and demo a pair of HO Blast Combos.

OK, I think you need a Monza. Several reason why to buy.

1. lotsa peeps have them. easy to get settings, advice, recommendations, and you get to sit with the cool kids at lunch time & at recess.

2. I hear/read most of the other skis are pricier. The selling prices of the Fishers and Goodes are more money for sure and the others depend on where you buy them. the Monza seems to be a bit less money for great performance. you also get to sit with the cool kids at lunch time and at recess.

Call up MYMC and he will Hook you up with a fine ski for a fine deal!

Thanks UMP

I appreciate that. I have always wanted to sit with the cool kids at lunch and recess. Really don't want to drop $1200 on a ski, but I don't buy a new one every year...I don't even buy one every 5 years. The last time I bought a ski I got burned as there were several advanced made the next model year making my ski obsolete.

Oh and Rod told me not to buy a D3 as he doesn't want them to go out of business either.

SkiDog
02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I could always go and demo a pair of HO Blast Combos.

Now if you looking for some combo's, have I got a deal for you! On second thought, I just gave them away! Sorry:D

LakePirate
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Now if you looking for some combo's, have I got a deal for you! On second thought, I just gave them away! Sorry:D

Do you think I can get deeper in the course with those? :confused:

I think I have some of the larger NASH combos...

Slinkyredfoot
02-26-2007, 08:13 PM

- Disclaimer -

You know, I am looking for as you call it "a new stick" as well, I too have an old Kidder Red Line that is just doesn't do it anymore...
I skied on a Goode last summer and loved it, but for a guy that is not as good as he used to think he was...wel I beleive the Goode experience might be overkill for me...

The March 2007 WaterSki mag rates 8 new skies in several catagories, I am sure most of you have read this, Fischer 01 and Goode scored highest in "overall impression", and in most catagories.

I just want a new ski, that is quick, agile, and fun for the money with some comfortable bindings.
I know ultimately I will buy nothing before I try it, any suggestions??

Brent
02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Connelly F1 is the least expensive of the high end skis & more than likely gives the most bang for the buck ,it is light years ahead of the KD Redline. I know the mid level ski test will be released soon & you may well find a good ski in that group.

TMCNo1
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM

I bet the President of your Home Owners Association called and got them for the neighborhood flock of peacocks to learn on.:D

jimmer2880
02-27-2007, 07:24 AM
..... I have always wanted to sit with the cool kids at lunch and recess. Really don't want to drop $1200 on a ski, but I don't buy a new one every year...I don't even buy one every 5 years. The last time I bought a ski I got burned as there were several advanced made the next model year making my ski obsolete. .....

I plan on holding on to my new Goode for at least 10 years. At least, that's what I told myself to justify dropping $1300 on a stick & a pair of boots 8p

I wanted a high performance FORGIVING ski. That's why I went with the 9800 over the 9700 or some of the others.

MYMC
02-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I would buy whatever the internet or a magazine tells me to because I believe EVERYTHING I read especially when it comes to slalom skis and aliens.

No sense in doing a demo with a shop that knows how to set up a ski...hell buy a Fisher or Fischer or Phsiher or however you spell it...they should have slalom skis dialed in with all the R&D they have done with the team of pros...wait...ok maybe they just copied another ski...no no one would do that!

Dave Goode makes a decent ski and no way to mount bindings unless your into velcro...I've tried it and payed the price, then Dave payed the price when he gave me my money back. I don't believe in using wood screws to mount bindings to $1200 pieces of carbon fiber that are not deisigned for that kind of load...sorry but his ski should have threaded inserts. If the new one does then it may be worth trying. Other than that I'll stick with the Monza...the new one is in the works...real R&D takes time.

02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
See, as I talked to Lakey last evening, he advised me that the World Slalom Record is quite safe from him capturing it. He dont need a $1500 ride to go 45 OFF in the Masters. I advised the Monza because I think its very comfortable to ski being a "long line intermediate" skier. Eastie, Jrandol, myself and several others here are in the same basic skill level catagory, and we really enjoy the Monza. Hey, I am never going to be a short line skier, but the Monza makes me ski better than other skis I was using. You can buy them for a decent price, and they are easier to come by than the Fisher, WAY less expensive than the Goode, and the Fisher. I do agree with Mike's binding mounting concerns he addressed on the Goode. I just look at it from a price-practical angle. I dont require a $1500 ski, but the Monza give me more fun and perfomance than a lower end ski. I know I have read/heard that they are very sensative to setup, but I would think that really only gets that critical at short line level skiing. For guys like us, I am sure the fin settings are far less critical.

shepherd
02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll second all that Brent and pq2 said here. The Monza is a fine ski -- actually it is HOT -- but it can get frustrating trying to set it up when you're trying to get the extra buoy or two, very very sensitive from my experience. If I was looking for a new ski, in addition to the Monza, I'd probably look at the Connelly F1 and F1X (I heard the F1X was a great and forgiving ski) and maybe the Goodes.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some dealers including Mastercraft of Charlotte will let you demo via mail.

Good luck Lake!

LakePirate
02-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I would buy whatever the internet or a magazine tells me to because I believe EVERYTHING I read especially when it comes to slalom skis and aliens.

No sense in doing a demo with a shop that knows how to set up a ski...hell buy a Fisher or Fischer or Phsiher or however you spell it...they should have slalom skis dialed in with all the R&D they have done with the team of pros...wait...ok maybe they just copied another ski...no no one would do that!

Dave Goode makes a decent ski and no way to mount bindings unless your into velcro...I've tried it and payed the price, then Dave payed the price when he gave me my money back. I don't believe in using wood screws to mount bindings to $1200 pieces of carbon fiber that are not deisigned for that kind of load...sorry but his ski should have threaded inserts. If the new one does then it may be worth trying. Other than that I'll stick with the Monza...the new one is in the works...real R&D takes time.

Easy there Chief...I would love to demo a ski, but that is not really an option here in Atlanta. I could jump on someone else's ski but everybody I know is LFF and I am RFF.

As I told UMP last nite, I used to play golf pretty seriously. When I was hitting thousands of balls a day I had a guy who worked on my clubs. I need to get the ball down, little lead tape here, I can't hit this new driver, we will add some weight to the shaft. I am wrapping the club around my head, we will get you some demo shafts and see if they are stiff enough. I never tried to adjust the clubs myself because I knew that it was not my area of expertise.
I would love to have a resource like that here in Atlanta, but as I had said before, that is not an option that I am aware of. My next option is to purchase a ski from a shop that knows how to set up a ski not in my local area, and pay the shipping back and forth between us to get it right.

The last time I bought a ski it was obsolete a year later. I don't want that to happen again.

I started this thread to try and get some quality information regarding skis. There are people on this board that I trust to give an honest opinion and was seeking their guidance.

cm02WS6
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Tell us a little about your skiing style, skill level, and what exactly you're on right now. How often do you ski and what kind of conditions do you have when you ski?

D3skier
02-28-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm probably not one to boast about skis but over the last 6 years I have progressed through 6 models. I started out with the Connelly Carbon Course then went through 3 models of the F1 then jumped ship because I wanted something a little more stable. I went to Trophy Lakes and took a few demo rides on the X5 from D3. Extremely stable and very forgiving. Now I've purchased one of Seth Stisher's used D3 Nomad. Seth only rode the ski for a short time because he found a flex that he liked on another Nomad. Talk to Seth or Tadd at H2Osmosis. They are very knowledgeable on all the different skis and what would possibly work best for your type of skiing. If at all possible plan a trip over to Charleston and spend a day running different demo's I know the trip won't be inexpensive but it will be well worth the trip knowing that you got a ski you'll be pleased with for a while. I'd suggest a D3 ski overall due to the stability of the skis they produce and stand behind their quality. When I jumped on my D3 X5 I went from a PB of 5@34 15 off to 4@36 15 off and all within the first part of the season. Good luck on your decision and wish you a new PB for this season.

Brent
02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Have you tried hanging around water ski Atlanta?

www.waterskiatlanta.com/property.php?PHPSESSID=a1164fa572e1dc24aa189ff00d2 2680a

These guy's seem to be into it , give them a call & see if they have some resources that you are not aware of, who knows maybe they will invite you down for a set.:D

MYMC
02-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Easy there Chief...I would love to demo a ski, but that is not really an option here in Atlanta. I could jump on someone else's ski but everybody I know is LFF and I am RFF.

As I told UMP last nite, I used to play golf pretty seriously. When I was hitting thousands of balls a day I had a guy who worked on my clubs. I need to get the ball down, little lead tape here, I can't hit this new driver, we will add some weight to the shaft. I am wrapping the club around my head, we will get you some demo shafts and see if they are stiff enough. I never tried to adjust the clubs myself because I knew that it was not my area of expertise.
I would love to have a resource like that here in Atlanta, but as I had said before, that is not an option that I am aware of. My next option is to purchase a ski from a shop that knows how to set up a ski not in my local area, and pay the shipping back and forth between us to get it right.

The last time I bought a ski it was obsolete a year later. I don't want that to happen again.

I started this thread to try and get some quality information regarding skis. There are people on this board that I trust to give an honest opinion and was seeking their guidance.
First, my post was not aimed soley at you but everyone that buys into these "tests". Almost everyone involved has something to sell...from Snitz right on thru so to say that they are unbiased is not accurate.

Second, how did your last ski become "obsolete" within a year?

I don't want to see you make a costly mis-step either and that is why I suggested the demo approach. I know I have shipped skis all over this country for people to try and I cannot be alone. Goode used to offer a demo program for $50 for 30 days and if Phisher won't then that would tell me EVERTHING I needed to know.

Your analogy to golf if accurate...call Trophy Lakes and go ski with Seth, rumor has it he just switched to a Monza within the last few weeks (unverified, my apologies if not accurate). Why not have a true professional set up your ski and correct some bad habits at the same time? If that is not an option I can help via email or phone.

Lastly, Marcus Brown did tell me that the new D3 Nomad was going to be much faster than the old D3's (my biggest complaint about their skis)...I have not skied it or held it in my hand but I do trust Marcus...further I do not even know if it is out and available. Call D3 direct and speak with Paul I know they used to offer a demo program as well (if that interests you). Make sure you are getting the "new" ski though...the old ones were very slow (if you are old and lazy like me).

Good luck.

BrianM
02-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Mike,

What settings are you using on a 67" Monza?

02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I have to say I think those ski tests are not exactly scientific data. They are trying to quantify something that is totally subject to personal opinion, personal ski style, skill level. How can you quantify that and put it into numbers? I dont see it being very accurate. The idea is good on paper, its just one that dont work well in the real world. One thing I noticed was the difference in "scores" and summary of the HO Monza from 2006 to 2007. Now PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand the Monza has not changed structurally from 06 to 07, only the graphics changed. SO that being the case, how could the score vary that much in one year? In 06 it had what I would call a "great" review, and it was kind of a "luke warm" review in 07. What about Obrien? Did their skis change in design? or just different graphics from 06 to 07"?? Why wasnt the D3 involved in the test? I realize the Connelly has changed in 07 in design, so that accounts for its change in scores. Now I have have been involved in other hobbies where gear is involved, be it fishing equipment & tackle, guitars & amps & all the stuff that go along with it, cars, guns & hunting gear(clothes, boots), downhill ski gear and I have never seen anything as finicky as these slalom skis for opinions and recommendations. I am usually way guilty of overthinking technical things like skis, fins, bindings, but there are people out there way worse than me in respect to overthinking water skis. I would suspect that with a small bit of tinkering any of us could hop on ANY of the 8 skis tested and ski just fine. Is is going to give us a personal best? probably not. most likely, one of those 8 skis is going to shine for us a bit brighter. The trick is finding that ski. I dont think there are any "bad" skis in the bunch. its all a matter of personal opinion, and preference. I think the thing to keep in mind for guys like Lakey and me(and most others here that arent short line skiers), is that we are never going to be super short line skiers going 35 off grabbing 6 bouys. Heck, I dont even ski a course. I just want a ski that "feels" right and lets me rip it up out there. The guys that ski short line course skiing all the time and want to push themselves ALL the time, then yea, Demoing skis is probably a great idea. but for most people here at their respective skill level, just about any "high end" slalom will be very good. Obviously we all want a ski we are happy with because they are expensive. But I think we tend to overthing this a bit. :twocents:

MYMC
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Mike,

What settings are you using on a 67" Monza?
2.510 - 2.505 deep (watch this as the rope gets short she will blow the tail out)
6.920 long
.700 off the tail
upside down and 9 degrees

Front binding @ 29.25 with the rear boot as close as possible and canted to move the back knee behind the front.

pilot02
02-28-2007, 11:42 AM

And your abilities were??? :D 8p :D

Just had to throw that in James....
On a serious note, Watersports Central doesn't have any demos??? They used to...

May ski this sunday if the weather holds if your interested.

tappskier
02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Has any skied the 07 Connelly,, any feedback on it?

SkiDog
02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
2.510 - 2.505 deep (watch this as the rope gets short she will blow the tail out)
6.920 long
.700 off the tail
upside down and 9 degrees

Front binding @ 29.25 with the rear boot as close as possible and canted to move the back knee behind the front.
:confused: :confused: :confused: What in the hell are you talkin bout?!?!?! man its been a long time since I was a tourney skier!:(

shepherd
02-28-2007, 10:48 PM
But I think we tend to overthing this a bit. :twocents:

That's what I like about you UMP, keepin' it short and sweet! :D ;)

(btw, I agree)

cm02WS6
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I'll give another plug for D3 skis. I stepped up to a Custom X two years ago and went from barely ever getting into 28 off to regularly running it. The ski was very fast and forgiving, and worked well for me right out of the box (I didn't touch it for two years). I gave that ski to my dad this Christmas because he skied his best sets of his life on it when visiting me last summer, and he never stopped bugging me about wanting one. Since then I bought an '06 Nomad because I got a pretty good deal on it. Try one and you won't be disappointed. D3 also has a 30 day performance guarantee, which is helpful because you don't seem to have a good pro shop in your area.

Brent
03-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Ump

The ski test is totally subjective & the reason D3 was not in it was they did not send a ski . John tries to get a group of skiers with different styles & levels to do the test. The format is not perfect , but it is better then what waterski mag was doing before ( brochures printed as reviews ). As for the difference in review of the Monza from last year to this, well you pointed it out yourself ,no changes from last year or for that matter from 2 years ago other then graphics. It is still a good ski (I'm on one). The Slalom ski companies are innovating & striving to improve their products.HO has been sitting on it's laurels for 3 years & has been doing little R&D or at least not bothering to market anything new as a result of R&D! When HO lost Herb O'brien & Eddie Roberts the culture on innovation went with them.

H20skeefreek
03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Brent, If you read above, a new Monza is in development.

I'd prefer it if Waterski magazine would focus on articles from skiers, giving training and fitness advice. The boat buyers guide is garbage, and the skitest is mediocre at best. It is completely subjective, and unless the skiers have my exact same body type/fitness level/skillset that I do, it's only filler material to me. If I ever buy a new ski, it'll be a proven tournament ski ie: Monza, System8, Sixam, F1. If I don't like it, then I'll return it and buy something else. Joe Blow can talk about how great the new Fischererer is or the new Warp7, but if I can't put my hands on it, and put my feet in it and run the course on it, what good does it do me? Nothing. And if the ski costs more than 1/7th of the value of the boat, I AINT GONNA BUY IT.

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Brent, If you read above, a new Monza is in development.

The boat buyers guide is garbage, and the skitest is mediocre at best. .
i thought that the ski test was done privitly, and to me it has its value as i 'll never be able or tempted to try each and every ski on the market before buying. On the other hand i don't have to believe everything thats written on there either....

H20skeefreek
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Done privately, yes, but published in waterski magazine, but I've only seen it online so far. I disagree that everyone involved has something to sell, as they weren't even allowed to give a review on thier own personal ski. The old test that was done by WSmag certainly didn't want to tick off any advertisers and the schnitz test was def. biased, but it was biased against people who didn't want to send Schnitz free skis. He wrote letters to the ski companies asking for each model, in several sizes, which he would then turn around and sell. When HO and others said no he replied with "they must not have anything worth testing", and gave the rest great reviews. The thing is, no one is the ideal tester, we don't all perform on the same level. How many people invited to the waterski test are struggling to get to 32mph? NONE. No one on that test can test a ski for me.

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
The thing is, no one is the ideal tester, we don't all perform on the same level. How many people invited to the waterski test are struggling to get to 32mph? NONE. No one on that test can test a ski for me.
you bring a good point here and i think there is a skis build for all skiers ability, people should not believe that a high end stick will necesseraly help them get better skiing.Ability and ¨forgiveness of the skis¨tends to grow in opposit direction.A biggener skier needs all the help a wider ski can offer and a top skier who needs agility and speeds has not as much to do with forgiveness...

Jesus_Freak
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
...The thing is, no one is the ideal tester, we don't all perform on the same level. How many people invited to the waterski test are struggling to get to 32mph?

Not me! I am struggling to get 6 @ 28MPH. :o

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Not me! I am struggling to get 6 @ 28MPH. :o
What ski are u usin??

MYMC
03-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Ump
When HO lost Herb O'brien & Eddie Roberts the culture on innovation went with them.
Now that is funny...I'll give you that Herb and Eddie did innovate...but other than practically ending the skiing career of one of the best "big dogs" in the country why don't you tell me what Radar has done since they left?

HO is working on a replacement of the Monza, but UNTIL it is clearly better than the ski it is to replace there is no need to rush it to market to appease magazine testers. The current ski clearly performs well and is competitive at all levels.

Lastly, the Monza was designed and built by a team including Mike Ferraro, Will Asher, Chris Rossi, Eddie Beverly Etc…not Eddie Roberts or Herb. Eddie Roberts’s last ski was the Phantom Truth (in retrospect pretty aptly named) and we all know what an “innovation” that was.

Jesus_Freak
03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
What ski are u usin??

I used to ride a concept. Now I have the monza, so I expect this season will be comletely different. :rolleyes:

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I used to ride a concept. Now I have the monza, so I expect this season will be comletely different. :rolleyes:
i rest my case...:cool:

Jesus_Freak
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
i rest my case...:cool:

You are proposing that this monza will "fix" me?

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
i do not think it will help you progress in or out of de course.

jimmer2880
03-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Well - since it seems like everyone here is against Goode - I'll be the first to give a Goode review. The first set I rode an 8000, I beat my Personal best by 2 balls. Then, when I ran the first set with my old 9200, I beat my PB again by a ball. I hope that the 9800 will yield similiar results. I've never ridden another ski where I got similiar results (but - ski manufactures don't send me skiis to review either :)

What it all really comes down to, is what to each of us individually think is the best ski for ourselves. At the end of the day - I have to live with the decisions I made that day. If I'm not happy with the 9800, I have to live with it - not anyone else on this board.

*** Edit - hopefully this post won't get deleted like my last one did ***

Jesus_Freak
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
i do not think i will help you progress in or out of de course.

Come on man...you are crushing my dreams. :)

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 05:24 PM
that's not what i want. i really want you to improve your skiing, and hope you choose the right weapon for that...

Brent
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Freak

Glacy has it right the Monza is not going to help you in the course @ 28mph unless your 120lb's & it is a 70" stick.

Jimmer

If you go to the U.S. National's the most common ski you will see Goode. I hesitate to plop down the cash for a Goode for 2 reasons

1) No insert & you void the warranty if you put in inserts.
2) Some dubious customer service stories.

MYMC

The Phantom Truth sucked & thankfully I never purchased one. I stuck with 2002 Phantom for 3 season, then switched to the Monza which took half the next season to set-up properly & it still drives me nuts when water temps change or at different sites.

I know the ski test is coming out for the medium range skis & it would not surprise me at all if quite a few of the testers are just starting the course. We will see soon enough!::rolleyes:

3event
03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
So is the system 8 as sensitive to setup as the monza? Thinking about one for this year. I ski in less than ideal conditions most of the time, so a Monza would be punishing, and overkill.....

Brent
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
All I know about the system 8 is that it the same mould as the Monza with Different materials (less Carbon)& softer flex pattern. I never tried one .

03-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, this stuff makes my head spin......

My advice: call MYMC and buy a ski from him. I dont think you will be unhappy with a Monza, But perhaps he can better point you toward the right ski for you. He knows a lot about skis. MYMC is great to do biz with. In the past I used to refer people to another source, but Mike sure won me over as a customer. he is a class act! He goes above what you expect and will help you set the ski up. most places dont do that. Call MYMC and talk with him, he will steer you right!:)

cbryan70
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
setting the ski up thats what im worried about most when i get on my new f1x, ive never really set a ski up

D3skier
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Your analogy to golf if accurate...call Trophy Lakes and go ski with Seth, rumor has it he just switched to a Monza within the last few weeks (unverified, my apologies if not accurate). Why not have a true professional set up your ski and correct some bad habits at the same time? If that is not an option I can help via email or phone.

Lastly, Marcus Brown did tell me that the new D3 Nomad was going to be much faster than the old D3's (my biggest complaint about their skis)...I have not skied it or held it in my hand but I do trust Marcus...further I do not even know if it is out and available. Call D3 direct and speak with Paul I know they used to offer a demo program as well (if that interests you). Make sure you are getting the "new" ski though...the old ones were very slow (if you are old and lazy like me).

Good luck.

For verification I spoke with Seth today and he said he is not switching to a Monza he'll still be on a D3 Nomad. Seth just tries all the equipment he sells so he knows the product that he is selling to the customer. Seth and Tadd at H2Osmosis are very knowledgeable about their products and honest about what they sell. You threw me for a twist there Mike when you mentioned Seth switching to a Monza and just wanted clarification on this. I forgot to ask information about any updates to the Nomad for 07 or why D3 didn't send any test skis for the 07 products. In my personal opinion I wouldn't say one ski is better than the other they are all created with the same results. To get the best performance possible. I think with all these manufactures it is just a matter of preference and what best fits your style of skiing.

MYMC
03-02-2007, 09:04 AM
For verification I spoke with Seth today and he said he is not switching to a Monza he'll still be on a D3 Nomad. Seth just tries all the equipment he sells so he knows the product that he is selling to the customer. Seth and Tadd at H2Osmosis are very knowledgeable about their products and honest about what they sell. You threw me for a twist there Mike when you mentioned Seth switching to a Monza and just wanted clarification on this. I forgot to ask information about any updates to the Nomad for 07 or why D3 didn't send any test skis for the 07 products. In my personal opinion I wouldn't say one ski is better than the other they are all created with the same results. To get the best performance possible. I think with all these manufactures it is just a matter of preference and what best fits your style of skiing.
Glad you called, hope Seth is doing well...I knew he was trying one, and then the rumors start. They are great guys and perfect place to ski.

MYMC
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
When you stood in my office I told you...speed the boat up. 34mph is what that ski wants to see (minimum really)...come on over the drive isn't that far and the Advil will be kicking in by the time you get home :D

Skip the balls for now until you get used to the speed and body position the 34 is going to require. There are drills to work on behind the boat to get back into "ski shape"...you'll have a lot of "new" going on so taking it easy at first is not a bad idea.

MYMC
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
setting the ski up thats what im worried about most when i get on my new f1x, ive never really set a ski up
It is not hard...just ask. Buy a caliper and wing angle gauges when you get it and then verify that the bindngs and fin are installed at whatever baseline settings you determine you want to start with...we'll fix it from there.

Brent
03-02-2007, 09:34 AM
MYMC

What ski brands do you carry?

Do you know anything about the New O'brien Six-am 1? They only have it in 67.5" & 69" & was wondering if the 69" is the same mould as the Tower was using. I've come to the realization that most high end skis (the Monza for one) were not really R&D to be 69.5" & are done just to try to cater some of us bigger fella's that want high end skis. The bigger versions seem to lack the umph of the smaller brethren. I guess I could to lose 20lbs & skis on 68".

Jesus_Freak
03-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Freak

Glacy has it right the Monza is not going to help you in the course @ 28mph unless your 120lb's & it is a 70" stick.

Oh, I definitely trust you guys; I was just playing games. I know that I need water time to fix my sasquatch body position. I also know I need to speed the boat up. Like I said, just giving Glacy a hard time...

Jesus_Freak
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
When you stood in my office I told you...speed the boat up. 34mph is what that ski wants to see (minimum really)...come on over the drive isn't that far and the Advil will be kicking in by the time you get home :D

Skip the balls for now until you get used to the speed and body position the 34 is going to require. There are drills to work on behind the boat to get back into "ski shape"...you'll have a lot of "new" going on so taking it easy at first is not a bad idea.

THANK YOU CAPTAIN MAY I HAVE ANOTHER! :D :D

I did not forget your counsel; I have just not had the weather to practice.

Jesus_Freak
03-02-2007, 09:42 AM
...wing angle gauges...

Can we use the paper ones you can just print off the web? :D

MYMC
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
MYMC

What ski brands do you carry?

Do you know anything about the New O'brien Six-am 1? They only have it in 67.5" & 69" & was wondering if the 69" is the same mould as the Tower was using. I've come to the realization that most high end skis (the Monza for one) were not really R&D to be 69.5" & are done just to try to cater some of us bigger fella's that want high end skis. The bigger versions seem to lack the umph of the smaller brethren. I guess I could to lose 20lbs & skis on 68".
We only carry HO at this time. I used to carry D3 but you can call the web site and buy cheaper than a dealer can sell so...I stopped. The "Tower" is on a Monza...and yes it is a real Monza not a painted ski like when he first signed. The Monza was designed as a 68 and scaled up to 69.5 and then down...this was a first for HO as the usual practice is to build a 67 and then scale it.

What are you looking for from the Monza? Is it acceleration off the ball, or cross course speed? What rope length are we talking about? The ski gets into trouble inside of 39...if you are inside there then we need to send you about 10 skis and let you sort through them and yes set-up is critical. Outside of that I really don't understand all the complaints from people about "how difficult the ski is to set up"...all skis have cold and warm water fin placement...warm water is slow and the ski rides deep. The long flat spot under the bindings should make the Monza very forgiving to set up...at least it has for me and the people I have worked with.

The biggest variable is not the ski it is the human being standing on top of it...IMHO.

03-02-2007, 10:49 AM
The biggest variable is not the ski it is the human being standing on top of it...IMHO.
TRU DAT!!!!!

So there IS an advantage of being up here in the tundra, I dont have to worry about my ski setup changing with water temps.......:cool: is always cool water here.....

ilikeitglacy
03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Lakey , i've been think of your problem seriously last night while my wife was......naaaaa you don't need to know that...
i think we could help you more if we knew about your:
age group:
weight or shape:
skier level:
credit card number:
slalom speed:
course or free slalom:
sports back-ground:
would you break a leg to get to that darn ball:
answer those questions and we'll find what you need... :D

03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Lakey , i've been think of your problem seriously last night while my wife was......naaaaa you don't need to know that...
i think we could help you more if we knew about your:
age group:
weight or shape:
skier level:
credit card number:
slalom speed:
course or free slalom:
sports back-ground:
would you break a leg to get to that darn ball:
answer those questions and we'll find what you need... :DOoo! are you smooth glacy, you just slid that ol' credit card one in there hey? your tricky, tricky I tell ya!

BTW, isnt that strange how your mind tends to drift and think of things while your.....ya know.......ya know..... :o I tend to find myself thinking about skiing and the boat. :o

Brent
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm a mid 35off skier @ 34mph & yes the skier is the biggest factor , but that still doesn't change the Monza being a ************ to keep in it's sweet spot! :D

MYMC
03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm a mid 35off skier @ 34mph & yes the skier is the biggest factor , but that still doesn't change the Monza being a ************ to keep in it's sweet spot! :D
Just remeber that as the rope gets shorter you end up with more ski in the water...if you have a Monza with a softer tip you'll really begin to feel it here. So if as the rope shortens the ski begins to feel like it is digging in and not wanting to accelerate off the ball guess what...she has a soft tip and this will only get worse as the rope shortens.

pq2
03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I had no problems with my ski set up. I started using it with the factory set up. After using it and making a log about all my sets I started realizing some things that i wanted to change. Then I sent those questions to a slalom coach and we started making very small adjustments and to log the changes. Until now i had only improve my skiing. Once you make those adjustments you have to ski many times before adjusting the ski again. There are many things that affect our skiing before the ski. I preffer to be sure to have a good body position before getting worried about the .0011 difference on the deep of the fin. My 2cents.

pq2
03-02-2007, 06:17 PM
I had try the connelly f1 and Rod's D3 and I will not change my monza. Hope to try a goode some day.

BTW, have to say the D3 binddings were awsome.

Ric
03-02-2007, 06:24 PM
My green HO Vengeance may go up for sale this spring... I bought a monza late last year and if whuppped me the first few sets... If I figure it out, the Vengeance is for sale... If I don't, then the Monza is for sale....

Brent
03-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Ric

Get someone to set it up for you or buy a caliper yourself & do it!

cgi.ebay.com/8-INCH-STAINLESS-STEEL-VERNIER-DIGITAL-CALIPER-VENIER_W0QQitemZ320087521084QQihZ011QQcategoryZ252 69QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320087521084

You can get angle test sheets from goode.

www.goode.com/images/anglegauges.PDF

Settings

http://www.carbonfins.com/FinChart.htm

Good luck

shepherd
03-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Outside of that I really don't understand all the complaints from people about "how difficult the ski is to set up"....
I don't understand it either Mike, but when I move that sucker just a little bit the wrong way or a little too much, I often find myself on my back (or worse, on my face). It just totally feels out of whack to me and I have to move it back and try something else.
Actually, I wouldn't say it's difficult to set up, just very sensitive.

No doubt.

03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Ric, I just have to throw this out here, that Vengeance is still a great ski. Sure its not a hot rod pro ride like the monza, but its a great ski. I still love skiing mine. Dayum good ski! :)

D3skier
03-03-2007, 11:53 AM

Mike, I'm really out of shape this year :( and could use a good workout regimen to get ready for the ski season this year. can you email me something to help out. animal31@carolina.rr.com

03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Well Lakey, where ya at on this ski thing??:confused: :confused:

BuoyChaser
04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
anyone looking for a new stick???my wife with the 2mo baby would like for me to unload my "collection"...and she's right!!!

check out what i've got going so far for sticks:
http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=MenuSearch&search3=Scott&search8=Northwood&search9=NH

i've also have to add later on tonight a 65" Connelly Concept, great girl and intro lightweight ski to the course...