PDA

View Full Version : LIquid Cooling

Utahfoiler
02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Here is a picture of my new setup. I am running an Intel Core 2 duo 2.4Ghz and I have it overclocked at 3.86GHZ right now. I could go higher, but I need different memory that can handle the higher speed. The cpu temp is only 119.

André
02-25-2007, 08:01 PM
:confused: :confused:

Utahfoiler
02-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Basically I am running it 60% higher than it is recommended. It is like putting a supercharger on your boat.

The water cooling is quieter and allows the higher speeds without overheating.

dmayer84
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Loks like an antec case, I was thinkin about doin water cooling but I never got aound to it.

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I run 25+ machines around the clock computing physics problems. They are a mixture of Linux and windows dual-CPU machines. They are all stock, though, so I can't show any special cooling pics...

Who sells the heat exchanger?

Utahfoiler
02-26-2007, 10:03 AM
The case is Antec, and the water cooler is thermaltake.

dmayer84
02-26-2007, 10:14 AM
How hard was it to do the watercooling? Any big problems that you had? I wanted to do it but I havent had the time, and IDK whether I really want liquid around all the electronics.

phecksel
02-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Why the time and money spent?

JimN
02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Utah- what do you use the computer for that requires this kind of cooling and over-clocking?

Utahfoiler
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
It really was not the hard to setup. The hardest part was finding a case the had a large enough fan in the back to mount the radiator to. The antec is still not quite there. I had to flip the fan around and mount the radiator on the outside of the case instead of the inside.

I was worried about the liquid and electrical parts, but it went together with no problems and no leaks. I was very suprised at how quiet it was after installing everything. There is hardly any noise at all out of it.

I did it because of video editing and rendering. I was tired of waiting to render videos. I have not test the speed at rendering yet.

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
It really was not the hard to setup. The hardest part was finding a case the had a large enough fan in the back to mount the radiator to. The antec is still not quite there. I had to flip the fan around and mount the radiator on the outside of the case instead of the inside.

I was worried about the liquid and electrical parts, but it went together with no problems and no leaks. I was very suprised at how quiet it was after installing everything. There is hardly any noise at all out of it.

I did it because of video editing and rendering. I was tired of waiting to render videos. I have not test the speed at rendering yet.

Keep us posted on the speed. I have often wondered about the bottlenecks for various computational operations. I suspect that a faster CPU may still be partially limited by some other component. For example, recent IBM supercomputers have slower processors than many consumer CPUs, but can stomp them in overall throughput.

dmayer84
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Keep us posted on the speed. I have often wondered about the bottlenecks for various computational operations. I suspect that a faster CPU may still be partially limited by some other component. For example, recent IBM supercomputers have slower processors than many consumer CPUs, but can stomp them in overall throughput.

Has to do with the bus speeds and other things as well, those computers have much better ram in them and other such items, the processor is only one small part. Had to learn about it in both Computer Orginization and Operting Systems classes in college.

Jesus_Freak
02-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Has to do with the bus speeds and other things as well, those computers have much better ram in them and other such items, the processor is only one small part. Had to learn about it in both Computer Orginization and Operting Systems classes in college.

Agreed and am aware of the limitations of my Dell and HP clusters; I was simply curious about video rendering. Bottlenecks are operation-specific.