PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft decals falling off

krseitz
08-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Is anyone else having issues with their Mastercraft decals falling off their boats? I have an '04 X9 and I've lost one letter on each side already. :confused:

TomL
08-03-2004, 10:05 PM
I have had the same problem with my 03 197.

MasterCraft is not prepping the surface for the stickers
well enough before they put them on.

I had my dealer replace all of mine.

No problems now :) :)

ShawnB
08-04-2004, 09:19 AM
I am losing letters on both sides of my 04 X2. Dealer ordered new stickers and they should be here soon.

DanC
08-04-2004, 11:10 AM
No problems with my '03 209. In fact my son tried to scrap them off with the side of the dock and they still stayed on :eek3:

Highflyer
08-04-2004, 01:25 PM
I had the same problem with my 04 205v. The dealer ordered me all new stickers and have not had a problem since then.

Highflyer

captkidd
08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Nothing wrong with my Master raft.

krseitz
08-05-2004, 07:23 AM
My dealer has ordered new stickers for me as well. Hopefully that solves the issue. All things considered, if this is the worst problem I have with the boat, life isn't too bad!

sizzler
08-24-2004, 09:49 AM
lost the "a" on the mastercraft sign at the back of my 2004 x9

got sent new one tho'

NeilM
08-24-2004, 10:59 AM
On vacation, I must have seen a dozen newer MasterCraft, including several '04's ALL with letters missing. Most severe was where the letters were on darker gelcoat. The sun heats the gelcoat, softens the glue on the letters, and 'presto', you're a proud owner of a " aster ra "

AirJunky
08-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Or just peel them all off for the clean look.

http://airjunky.com/temp/rotm2.jpg
http://airjunky.com/temp/newboat.jpg

Heres the before shot: http://airjunky.com/temp/oldboat.jpg

It will also point out the MC snobs. They think it's an I/O don't give the time of day, then find out it's an MC & do an about face. I can't tell you how many times that has happened.

georgea0731
08-24-2004, 09:46 PM
I inspected our boat and took deliver. When you get onto the platform you notice the "a" & "s" of Mastercraft on the rear isn't lined up.
Dealer says he'll replace, but we're holding out until we go back to winterize it in Oct.
I was at the factory and they didn't use any modern techique or tools (ie lazer levelers) to help.
I hate to say it, but its another indicator that MC isn't as good as it use to be. IMO too many too fast and losing their quality.
Of course this is only 1 of the items that makes us feel this way.
Good luck!

MasterCrafting
08-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Airjunkie, that was a nice looking boat but what made you take off those beautiful mastercraft letters? :huh: But hey, what ever floats your boat :purplaugh by the way is that a 93?

Michael Epp
08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
No problem with my 04 X-10!! But I'm in the cold frozen north. We've already had some frost. Thankfully I ordered my X-10 with the ice-breaker hull option!

NeilM
08-25-2004, 10:27 AM
George,

I find it quite amazing that MC boasts 'Lean Six Sigma' processes, then allows something out of the factory with misaligned decals.

From what I read in the industry rags, an attitude of "let the dealer fix it later if the customer complains" is far too prevalent in the marine manufacturing industry - The alignment of your letters seem to be evidence that there are remnants of that attitude at MC. The concept of "zero defect" that revolutionized the auto industry seems to be less obvious in the boat business, where "we're no worse than anyone else" is often the modus operandi.

Other than the misaligned letters and the defective kill switch, what else has gone wrong?

BrianS
08-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey krseitz,

This is Brian, Katherine's b/f. Just wanted to say hi, and that we really need to meet up and take the boats out together.

Good luck with the decals.

SD190EVO
08-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I think it is a stretch to say that they are 'losing their quality' simply because the 'a' and the 's' were not lined up. ?!?! Those letters are not applied *individually*. They come on one big sheet of backing paper from the decal factory (not made by MC) and are perfectly lined-up by computer when on the backing-paper.

It would surprise me that Q&A would let a new boat out like that. But maybe during application something got fubared on a couple of the letters and someone tried to fix it by only replacing those letters. Mabye that guy was hung-over or just found out his wife cheated on him. It is hardly a sign of 'quality' IMO. Any company can have an employee that would make an error like this.

boatless
08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
sd190ev0,

I agree with you there, but what if an error that we cannot see as a buyer ? For example engine or the inner hull that they try to do a quick fix. If one could make an error on a decal I am sure other error has gone pass the Quality department. The thing is, it is an error on a 40k boat and it is an MC that makes it stand out better than the rest. I still would choose MC over other boat but it is just a thought when I read a post about things that went wrong with an MC boats.

Alex.

ski_king
08-25-2004, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if the decals on georgea0731's boat came off prior to delevery and that was a dealer fix.

SD190EVO
08-25-2004, 12:04 PM
I'd almost be willing to bet my CDX on it being a 'dealer' fix. Most dealers have 'individual' letters hanging around in their service dept from previous repairs.

It usually works pretty well because the entire decal is $$$$ and they can spread the cost out by replacing indiv letters for different customers.

NeilM
08-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Perception is the challenge.. As Jan Carlzon of SAS once said: "If passengers find a dirty seatback tray on one of our airplanes, it means [to them] that we don't do our engine maintenance right."

.. It could very well be that the letters fell off in the heat and the dealer stuck the new ones on - crooked.. point is, it doesn't matter who.
It just detracts from the perception of quality.

AirJunky
08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks Mastercrafting. Actually I bought the Dodge first & whoever owned it had already removed all the decals. Then when I bought the MC, it just seemed like a natural to clean it up too. Looking back, I don't understand the need to have "4x4", "Sport", "Electronic Fuel Injection", "World Champion Tow Boat" or the brand name on my boat or truck. They didn't pay me to advertise their stuff. And if I want to advertise something, I'll advertise my own gig...... and now I have a clean slate to do just that!!

lakes Rick
08-25-2004, 06:04 PM
An off topic add here..

Someone on here has said the darker colored hulls tend to have the problem more.. Arent the reversed colored hulls relatively new?? Also the real dark ( black) colors newer yet????

I have been in the window and glass industry since 1976..

When the industry changed over to insulated glass ( some of you call them thermopanes) a company came out with a bronze colored spacer bar ( the bar between the two panes of glass) to match the bronze aluminum windows ( popular in my part of the world in the 80's).. The company, H & D, went out of business due to the MILLIONS of unit failures ( moisture inside the glass unit) ALL of it due to the dark colored spacer bar drawing and absorbing heat and causing thermal stress and movement breaking the seal.. Now I live in Oregon ( born here in 55) and the Pacific northwest is not known for heat or sun ( As a matter of fact it has been raining here the last 3 days in the month of August).... So just changing to a darker color can have devestating effects on things..

1986.. My chief engineer shows me the first plastic ( vinyl framed) window I have ever seen.. I thought they were pretty ugly, but I regress here..... Offered in white and an "almond" color.... What a product.. It is now and still the dominant window frame product in the USA ( probably the world).....

Appx. 6 months later ( 1986) we came out with a dark bronze color.. WE were told, by the Genius engineers, owners, and others from the Vinyl extruders where we purchased our bar from, that the chemical compound was TOTALLY different from the light colors and we would not have any problems... Took the product off the market 90 days later and NEVER offered a dark color again.. Some of my competitors fooled with vinyl overlays ( thin dark layer over the white) but eventually the dark colors do not exist today in a solid vinyl window. In case you see any RUN, RUN fast the other way......

If you have ever held a piece of wax over a candle, this is what happened to the DARK BRONZE vinyl windows... I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.... The vinyl frame would move so much it would actually PUSH THE GLASS out of the frame to fall on the ground outside... NOT FUNNY from 3 or 4 stories up with kids playing in the front yard.........

Now my fingers have run to long here, but just an idea on what can happen when just "changing a color" in my experience....

PS. Thats why you never see dark vinyl siding offered and the PLastmo DARK colors are stored inside at the lumber yard....

NeilM
08-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Rick, it was me.

I wasn't close enough to each MC boat to find out what year it was, and not all of them had towers (which make it pretty easy to tell an '04 from an '03 from an ('02 or earlier)), but it wouldn't shock me if all the ones I saw with missing letters were from '04.

I don't have reverse colors, but the MasterCraft letters are affixed to the black gelcoat, which gets so hot that it's impossible to touch. Maybe they went to a different glue in 2004?

Interesting story about the windows. Up here, the manufacturer was an outfit called Gienow --had at one time somewhere close to 30% market share in Southern Alberta and BC-- ended up in a class action suit, came up with a ten-year pro-rated replacement warranty that sure helped offset the cost of the windows as they failed.
You guessed it, all of my windows have that black crap that melts and bubbles inbetween the panes. Trouble is, they wouldn't let you swap 'em all out under this warranty - only the ones that failed. Half of mine made it to the ten year mark without failing, but this year (in the incessant rain), more have failed. I refuse to replace them with Gienow windows even although I pay a little more for a competitive product..

Airjunky... I kinda agree with you.. I took the "MariStar" decals off the hull (see the gallery) because I thought they cluttered up the sides too much, but I left the "MasterCraft" letters on (mine are straight and so far, stuck on).

AirJunky
08-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Same here Rick, big wide black stripe down the middle of the hull. It's a 1994 & the bottom & gunnels are still white. All the lettering was on the black stripe. The boat only had 60 hours on it when I got it 3 years ago so the fading of the glass was buffed out pretty easily. You can still see a slight shadow on the stern where the glass is angled upward slightly.... towards the sun. Seems like each time I buff it, even that spot gets better.

mcprostar197
08-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Havent had any issues with my 04 197 yet........

mitch
08-30-2004, 09:36 PM
The past 2 times I've visited my MC dealer I've noticed little things on the brand new boats that IMHO MC would not have missed in the past. spider cracks spreading from transom rings (both sides) on an 04 X2 (posted previously), and sloppy gel coat work between the red and white on an 04 205V. The 205 looks like a post production repair (bumped in the lot?), but the cracks on the x2 are very strange, and it's also strange that there are a couple of active threads on spider cracks. It's not to say the other guys don;t have similar issues (I'm sure they do), it's just amazing that this occurs on a $50K MC. :confused:

Leroy
08-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I rubbed two letters off while I had it tied on the side of the houseboat this summer. Was easier to move around, but after that put it on the rope behind the houseboat. Definitely my fault! I have a MasterCra on one side now until I get the decals.

phecksel
09-02-2004, 12:37 PM
you guys are a bunch of jinxes! While wiping down the boat couple of days ago, noticed one of the stickers coming loose :(

JIMMYH
09-15-2004, 07:11 PM
'02 Seems To Be Ok. Sounds Like A Problem With The '03 & '04