PDA

View Full Version : converting to disc brakes

Farmer Ted
01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
has anyone traded in their drum brakes for disc brakes,

I got the Overtons catalog today and saw 10" hubs for $149 a peice and wondered how much @ss pain it would involve to switch.

I'd like to hear how it went if you've done it.

MarkP
01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Iíve always thought it would be a cool project. I think when my break lines rust all of the way through I may go all out and do it

skimax
01-13-2005, 01:06 AM
I replaced the drum brakes on my 85 V/M trailer with disc brakes. It was easy becuase I had to replace my axel, it had a crack on the drop from the spindle.I bought a complete axel with hubs and bearing buddies for $ 550. You will have to change your coupler on the trailer with one that has a "lock out" feature when you back up. It has an electronic switch that works off of the back up lights. the new coupler will cost about $200 - $250 (it's an easy switch if it's bolted on, most are welded on) you will also need a 5 plug conector.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Iíve always thought it would be a cool project. I think when my break lines rust all of the way through I may go all out and do it

With the 93, that's a distinct possibility. The lines are wrapped in some sort of sheath, which holds moisture against them nicely if rust is the goal. My new lines are stainless steel.

MarkP
01-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Doug

I looked at my lines after hearing your brake repair story. Not that bad, but..

After I said that I started thinking. Maybe I should look for a trailer with disk brakes and a swing away that will work for my boat, (93 PS 205). Sell my trailer and add what I would have spent on the updates to buy the newer trailer. Hmmmmmmmm

Farmer Ted
01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Good idea Mark,

So I found a trailer for a 2003 205 with disc brakes and swing away tongue.

How do I go about finding out if my boat will fit on it? Is there a cross reference for trailers?

I got the guy measuring the lenght of the bunks and how far aprart they sit at the front, middle and aft edges....

I'll have to climb under the rig and do some mearsuring....

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 03:15 PM
A later 205 trailer doesn't look (at a glance) any different than a 93 205 trailer. The bunks ought to be about 12'. The spacing and twist (as you mentioned) might be a little different.

Is something amiss with your trailer, Tim, or do you just want the disc brakes and swing tongue.

There's always http://www.pivithitch.com/

Farmer Ted
01-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Doug,

There's nothing wrong with the trailer, just would like to have disc brakes and a swing tongue

I lost a foot length and width on the new garage and it would be nice to be able to swing the tongue.

That website looks like they convert to a swing tongue but there isn't anything on the webpage or did I miss something.

thanks for the link

Looks like I'll be taking my MC business to Conway or Dallas from now on, my girl up and left me high and dry in Monroe....

dwe
01-14-2005, 01:38 AM
My '95 190 came with a new 2003 197 trailer. To make my boat fit properly, I moved the outer bunks out 1" ea by drilling new holes. I also had to move the boat back on the trailer about a foot. I had the v-block and winch cut off and moved back that same amount. The welding was about $100, and I think a can of mc paint was about $20. The disc brakes and oil bearings are really nice.

lsupcar
01-15-2005, 12:51 AM
FT, Who left the Monroe dealer? Bridgit? Thanks. Bill Z

Farmer Ted
01-15-2005, 10:40 AM
FT, Who left the Monroe dealer? Bridgit? Thanks. Bill Z

Yes sir, she doesn't work there any longer, which really sucks.
Are you near Monroe?

lsupcar
01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
FT, yes, that's where I live. I was just in there about a month ago and she helped me buying some teak oil and showed me their latest stuff. I noticed a help wanted sign outside the shop last week. She was always so nice to work with, I wish her the best. Bill Z

Farmer Ted
01-16-2005, 11:55 AM
FT, yes, that's where I live. I was just in there about a month ago and she helped me buying some teak oil and showed me their latest stuff. I noticed a help wanted sign outside the shop last week. She was always so nice to work with, I wish her the best. Bill Z

She will certainly be missed, it will be interesting to see how things turn out there. With Kim gone and now Bridget I'm not sure how things will get done? Guess Gus will have to roll up his sleeves and do it himself....

If you out there last month did you see my boat? I just picked it up the 20th of December. Can't wait for summer!

lsupcar
01-17-2005, 01:09 AM
FT, I was there about that time. What does your boat look like? I saw a beautiful red and black '05 X-Star, but I was told that was going to Jackson, MS. Bill Z