PDA

View Full Version : AntiVirus Software

Rich_G
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Is anybody using AVG (Grisoft) AntiVirus? I have used McAfee for years, and just re-subscribed. I upgraded to a multi-user (I have 3 PC home office & personal) multi-layered suite product. AV, Firewall, AntiSpam, etc.

It killed my PC. I've been screwing with this stuff for two days. It's like I went back to dial-up, and my processor is in Sloooooooowww motion.

I cancelled the McAfee and want to switch to AVG. I know there are some tech savvy people on here. Any pointers? thanks

(if you can read this message, it is a small miracle that it didn't time out)

bcampbe7
02-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I use Free AVG on two of my PC's. It works great.

For the record McAfee stinks. If you are going to buy an AV program go with Symantec (Norton).

kycat2007
02-23-2007, 12:23 AM
My company bought the company version an dit seems good.

Rich_G
02-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I got the AVG internet security package; easy install and it is much less intrusive than McAfee; about half the cost. I had one issue trying to print remotely, and they emailed me back a settings change and it was an easy fix. It's worth it to me to have the pay version for tech support.

Leroy
02-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I use Avast for all the time scanning and use the Trendmicro free on line scanner as back up.

bigmac
02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Ugh...McAfee really does suck IMHO. Whenever I get a new laptop, I have to have it configured to work on our network. In addition to a whole slug of processor-boggling scripts and startups, our IT guys always insist on loading McAfee. First thing I do when I get it back is pull it and all its components off and install Norton. I always have a lot of reconfiguring to do anytime I let the IT department touch the thing.

whitedog
02-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Use AVG free version, good results, concidering the full version as the home network keeps growing. Up to 7 machines now, dang kid keeps fixing and upgrading :rolleyes: