View Full Version : AntiVirus Software

02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Is anybody using AVG (Grisoft) AntiVirus? I have used McAfee for years, and just re-subscribed. I upgraded to a multi-user (I have 3 PC home office & personal) multi-layered suite product. AV, Firewall, AntiSpam, etc.

It killed my PC. I've been screwing with this stuff for two days. It's like I went back to dial-up, and my processor is in Sloooooooowww motion.

I cancelled the McAfee and want to switch to AVG. I know there are some tech savvy people on here. Any pointers? thanks

(if you can read this message, it is a small miracle that it didn't time out)

02-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I use Free AVG on two of my PC's. It works great.

For the record McAfee stinks. If you are going to buy an AV program go with Symantec (Norton).

02-23-2007, 01:23 AM
My company bought the company version an dit seems good.

02-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I got the AVG internet security package; easy install and it is much less intrusive than McAfee; about half the cost. I had one issue trying to print remotely, and they emailed me back a settings change and it was an easy fix. It's worth it to me to have the pay version for tech support.

02-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I use Avast for all the time scanning and use the Trendmicro free on line scanner as back up.

02-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Ugh...McAfee really does suck IMHO. Whenever I get a new laptop, I have to have it configured to work on our network. In addition to a whole slug of processor-boggling scripts and startups, our IT guys always insist on loading McAfee. First thing I do when I get it back is pull it and all its components off and install Norton. I always have a lot of reconfiguring to do anytime I let the IT department touch the thing.

02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Use AVG free version, good results, concidering the full version as the home network keeps growing. Up to 7 machines now, dang kid keeps fixing and upgrading :rolleyes: