PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, i am looking into getting a home theater for my room. I found a sweet Yamaha at best buy, it sounds nice and its got an 8 inch sub. But i am still looking. anyone out there got any opinions? I am looking to spend about $450, so i am somewhat limited. Post away.

Mag_Red
02-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I'll assume you're talking for the reciever and speakers?? You best judge will be your own ears. Go with what sounds best to you.:wavey:

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
yeah receiver and speakers, it all depends too, i was thinking of a receiver with the DVD in it. I would love to have a polk or infinity, but my wallet isn't all that big.

kazzapped
02-22-2007, 10:32 PM
i would defenitly suggest not getting a receiver with a dvd player in it...

Hoosier Bob
02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Panasonic has some nice all in one units. For a little more you may want to look at the Denon. Bose would be another choice or you can say screw it and come up with 10-20 large! Yeah baby!:D

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 10:52 PM
The Denon was the first i looked at, it souned better then the Yamaha, but it was more, but! It included the receiver and DVD.

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah, the Denon was 500, and it had ever thing that i wanted. 5.1, crisp highs, and a thumping 8 inch down firing sub. I really want to get a down firing sub, they sound better i think. And then i was going to screw up through the basement and mount it in place for way better hits!

Hoosier Bob
02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Denon has always produced a sound that I love. Do not rush but also do not go hog wild if you do not need to. I HAVE CRAP ALL OVER! Sure is gets real loud which helps as I become more hearing impared! How loud of level will you need? If you typically do not need nor listen at high levels most home theaters will suffice. If you need plaster shattering sensurround then maybe not. I did not need the latter but my ego made the purchase. Now for music I need all I can get! I run a Carver TFM 45, 25 and another amp for the speakers in my theater. When I play music my front Def Tech's are pumped by the 450+ watt carver and I tax it regularly! The surrounds get the 250+ TFM 25 and the rear and center get the yamaha. I likey loud! Movies I play at normal levels so the system is somewhat overkill! Go with the all in one for regular levels and you will love it. The wife will not give you the grief I get either!:o

Hoosier Bob
02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
As far as down firing maybe but try a Carver Sunfire or Earthquake and you may find yourself throwing up from your inners shaking! They fire front and back. 5.1 and 7.1 work with in your budget. Big tip is use it! Remove yourself from work, get the family and get away! Movies are great family time!;) Oh yeah, the Denon was 500, and it had ever thing that i wanted. 5.1, crisp highs, and a thumping 8 inch down firing sub. I really want to get a down firing sub, they sound better i think. And then i was going to screw up through the basement and mount it in place for way better hits!

djhuff
02-23-2007, 07:55 AM
I have bought many of my components on e-bay (from people selling their used gear, not the brooklyn stores). There is always that tech junkie out there that is buying this year's stuff because it is soooo much better than last years (lived with one in college). I got my Denon for a steal from one such person.

Also, many of the higher end stereo stores have a used room where they take things in on trade. Yes it is higher end, but my theory is that when you buy a high end unit on the bottom of the feature scale, you are getting a waaaaay better unit than getting a cheaper brand with more features. I'm still using my 11 yr old Sony ES receiver to power secondary speakers in the house.

Whatever you do, don't get bit by the bug, your wife will shoot you with the amount of money that can be spent on this stuff.

east tx skier
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
One of the most important things is to get a good fairly large center speaker. I've had good luck with my Sony receiver. I think my front speakers are yamahas. My center speaker is a cerwin-vega.

sanjuan23
02-23-2007, 10:35 AM
The wife got me the Klipsch Yamaha combo from Best Buy for Christmas It has a decent sized center the surrounds are good and clear a little lacking in the mid's with a 10" 400 Watt Sub. Pretty happy so far for everyday use.

east tx skier
02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
The wife got me the Klipsch Yamaha combo from Best Buy for Christmas It has a decent sized center the surrounds are good and clear a little lacking in the mid's with a 10" 400 Watt Sub. Pretty happy so far for everyday use.

We've got a 10" powered sub and I can't imagine needing more. It doesn't take much to shake the room.

M-Funf
02-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I started out with just a Yamaha receiver and some crappy speakers. I upgraded slowly as my needs changed.

I like my movies LOUD, but the wife doesn't. But, when it comes to music, I like it loud, but during parties, the wifey wants it Van-Halen live show loud :eek3: :headbang:

My fronts and center are Klipsch. I agree with ETS, go for a big center. My first center was small, and the voices were always too quiet. Balance is key.

Right now I'm using Infinity surrounds, and a 15" powered down firing Klipsch sub (talk about earthshaking:D )

My Yamaha has a nice feature of being able to balance the speakers for the room. It goes through a series of sounds from each speaker so you can adjust for the best sound envelope.

I know all that is probably out of your budget, but if you check out CL and E-Bay you might be able to pick up some nice components for much less, like djhuff mentioned.

east tx skier
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
My fronts and center are Klipsch. I agree with ETS, go for a big center. My first center was small, and the voices were always too quiet. Balance is key.

Typically (at least on Sonys) there is a select feature for center speaker size. When "small" is selected, the system pushes the lows that would ordinarily be directed to the center chanel out to the L and R fronts. At that point, I found, it was almost as if you were just using your TV speakers.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2007, 11:34 AM
We've got a 10" powered sub and I can't imagine needing more. It doesn't take much to shake the room.

(2) 10" velodyne HGS10 1000 Watts each 3000 peak I have to use locktite on my faceplates. :D :D

SKI*MC
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
i decided to buy a sony. It sounded better than the other units, and it was reasonable priced. It wasn't my first choice, so i hope i'm happy with it.

east tx skier
02-24-2007, 10:11 PM
I've had nothing but good experience with my sony. Rock solid for me.

bcampbe7
02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
I've had nothing but good experience with my sony. Rock solid for me.

x2

I have a Sony amp and Polk front, center and surrounds.

SKI*MC
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
it sounds pretty nice in my room, way better than it was at best buy. I only have 3 speakers hooked up for now, at least until i rearrange my room. Then I'll hook up the other 2. oh! And the sub isn't too bad, it thumps pretty good!