PDA

View Full Version : Carb to EFI conversion

OSUspenc99
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Hello All. I remember awhile back there was a good step by step process i thought of doing the carb to EFI conversion under the FAQ's. I cannot find it anymore. Does anyknow have this still or could tell me how to do and and if it is worth it. I currently have a 85 S&S and rebuilting the carb about a year ago and now having problems again. Also what is the round about cost to complete this?

Thanks for all the help!

BrianM
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I think you are confusing electronic ignition with EFI (electronic fuel injection). If you want to upgrade the ignition it is a simple $100 upgrade. The general consensus on upgrading from carb to EFI is that it is much more cost effective to just upgrade to a newer model boat that already has it. A good rebuild or even a new carb should give you great results with years of trouble free service.

east tx skier
02-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Brian is right both as to what was in the FAQ thread as well as what just about every mechanic with whom I've ever spoken has told me. That said, I know that user "Bbutler2001" is currently upgrading his boat to EFI. So you might want to send him a PM about it. Good luck.

OSUspenc99
02-22-2007, 04:47 PM
thanks for the help guys and yes that is what i am talking about. I want to get rid of my points because they are a pain! Is that listed in the FAQ's?

rcnjson
02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
OSU,
I just read your post, never mind. Anyone else wanna buy this stuff?
I'm in the process of the Carb to fuel injection conversion right now. On my boat I am doing a stand alone EFI system. I also have what I would call 85% of the parts to do it yourself that I am willing to sell. Here is what I have. Mass air computer, Mass air meter, harnesses (main, injector, and O2), 351W intake manifold from a bronco with throttle body, injectors, and rails and some sensors, I also have a 255 LPH in-tank pump. All you would need is a distributer from a 351W that was equipped with EFI, fuel lines and fittings, and misc. wiring (fuel pump, ignition...) I'll let it go cheap, but to forwarn you, shipping that manifold will not be cheap. Lemme know.
k

east tx skier
02-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Yes, it's in there. The link is in my signature.

André
02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll give you my idea of an easy carb to EFI conversion.

1) Sell the carb boat.

2) Buy an EFI boat.

3) Enjoy boat!

Good luck!

MSOUCY-TT
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
André, I will hire you!!!

André
02-22-2007, 07:39 PM
André, I will hire you!!!
I was actually thinking just today about opening an Eastern Townships branch of your store...:rolleyes:
Malibu and CC are doing it !

bbutler2001
03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Just in case anyone is interested in converting http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14822

Matt L.
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks for the help guys and yes that is what i am talking about. I want to get rid of my points because they are a pain! Is that listed in the FAQ's?

Pertronics Ignitor II

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/ignitor1.htm

I put this on my 1990 240sc and it has been perfect. Much easier starting than points ever did. The instal was exactly as they descrived and was very quick, not to mention a cheap mod for the performance gains!

Good Luck,

Matt