PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder

Footin
01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I am going to buy a Lowrance 3500 depth finder for my boat and I wanted to know if anyone has mounted the transom mount transducer inside the hull. I have read the can be done successfully however I would appricate some input.

FYI, I have had three different models of depth finders in my various boats and I can not say enough good things about the performance of this model.

jsonova99
01-12-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm curious what the smallest inner hull mount transducer depth finder is that I can get, not interested in the fish finding option. I see the depth guages, can one of these be used with a simple inner hull transducer?

Footin
01-12-2005, 03:02 PM
The skimmer transducer from Lowrance is pretty small, I'm just not sure how well it will work inside the hull.

skimax
01-12-2005, 03:32 PM
What's the depth finder for? is this ski boat or a fishing boat? :uglyhamme

jsonova99
01-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I worded my last post kind of funny, I'm not worried about the size of the transducer so much, I'm looking for a small device to mount on the dash. I like the idea of a small guage, I could probably find a home for that.

bcampbe7
01-12-2005, 03:55 PM
My depth finder replaced my clock in my 96 PS190. Fit perfectly. I think it is a Hummingbird. Mine came with a transom mount transducer that the manufacturer said would also work as a thru-hull. I mounted the transducer off to the side of the drain plug, under the engine cover. I may do a Winter project and move it back to the location that it is suppose to go, but I'm not sure. So far it is working great where it is...

jsonova99
01-12-2005, 04:06 PM
The through hull transducers are supposed to go back by the prop shaft, right? I don't know where I would mount one, I don't have a lot of room, but I'm sure I can be creative.

Bongo
01-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I purchased two Teleflex TDR600 depth gauges a couple years ago, one as an in-hull for the 190 and one as a transom mount for my pontoon boat. They were identical, except the in-hull set-up came with two-part epoxy and the transom mount came with a bracket. Same gauge. Same transducer.

As long as you find an appropriate epoxy for the transducer, clean the mounting location of grease and oil and make sure the epoxy has no big bubbles when you goop it up, I expect itíll be just fine.

In hindsight, I mounted mine a bit too far forward. Iíve got the transducer near the bilge pump. When I hit big rollers, the depth will be lost momentarily and take a few seconds to register. If Iíd do it again, Iíd mount it where bcampbe7 indicated.

jsonova99
01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Bongo, what year is your boat? I'm wondering if anybody has installed one in an older PS190, I have a '91, I'm just looking for ideas where to mount the guage without removing the ones I have.

bcampbe7
01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
The through hull transducers are supposed to go back by the prop shaft, right? I don't know where I would mount one, I don't have a lot of room, but I'm sure I can be creative.

Yeah, supposedly there is a flat spot bach there.

Bongo-
I do have the roller problem as well. But on our lake the rollers are few and far between, and if they do occur they are out in the main channel of the lake where depth is not an issue.
Like I said, possible Winter project would be to move it to the location jsonova referred to.

G-man
01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
When I had my 93 190 the best spot was as far off center as I could get it in front of the engine just under the left edge of the drivers seat. I popped up the piece of flooring that surrounds the ski pylon to get it there. Worked great no turbulance under it.

jsonova99
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Where did you mount the guage? I guess most come with a bracket so that you can mount it next to the dash, but I'd like a cleaner installation than that if possible.

Brn85ss
01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I bought all new gauges this year,and decided to get a tach with the hour meter built into the unit. Now I have a spot where the old hourmeter was located.Haven't made up my mind which finder to buy. I waiting for more imput on this site before I make up my mind.

east tx skier
01-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Just leave it open and tell people to put their gas donations in the hole. ;)

jayderwin1
01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
My Depth finder gauge is located where my hour meter used to be and i mounted the hour meter under the bow so when you lift the observer seat back up you can see the hour meter because that is not as critical as seeing the depth to me. i have the transducer mounted right in the hull of the boat right behind the transmission and it picks up just fine. i have it stuck down with resin. this is on a 86 prostar

Bongo
01-12-2005, 07:10 PM
My boat is a 1989 Prostar 190. The depth gauge was about 2" in diameter. I cut a hole in the dash pad (yikes!) and installed it just to the left of the left speedo, above the hour meter and kill switch. I think it was almost level with the bottom of the speedo, though I am going by memory as the boat is under cover right now. I believe this was about the only place I could find that was unused and had enough depth for the gauge; the gauge is probably 4" deep.

I recall that it was a pretty easy installation. Probably an hour or two, total.

One downside to the gauge is that it is raised more than the others on the dash, has a plastic shroud and is digital. All of the other gauges are analog with metal shroud, so it looks a bit out of place. However, on a 15 year old boat -- it won't win any beauty contests anyway.

Bongo