PDA

View Full Version : valve covers

Wouter
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Has anyone tried aftermarket valve covers on a 351w indmar?

Just got some 3.75" (baffle height) ford racing valve covers (shipped from the US to Belgium) to replace the ones on my MC but am now wondering if they will fit? Previous owner had replaced only one of the original MC valve covers with another brand which looked a bit shabby... My mc is stored for the winter and I can't check but from the look of these new valve covers (their height and shape), it seems there might not be enough clearance to the exhaust risers to put these in... Anyone have experience with this? How tall are the original MC valve covers?

TMCNo1
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Has anyone tried aftermarket valve covers on a 351w indmar?

Just got some 3.75" (baffle height) ford racing valve covers (shipped from the US to Belgium) to replace the ones on my MC but am now wondering if they will fit? Previous owner had replaced only one of the original MC valve covers with another brand which looked a bit shabby... My mc is stored for the winter and I can't check but from the look of these new valve covers (their height and shape), it seems there might not be enough clearance to the exhaust risers to put these in... Anyone have experience with this? How tall are the original MC valve covers?

You need to edit your post, remove the picture and re-insert it, it didn't completely show up.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm seeing the photo fine......

cbryan70
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
yeah me to

TRBenj
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I am doubtful that these "tall style" covers will fit- Im guessing they will interfere with your exhaust manifolds. If you try them, I will be very interested to hear your results.

rcnjson
02-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I know those would fit on my motor, I have tall Brodix valve covers on my motor, but my exhaust manifolds are different. I have the commander "log" style manifold and there isn't a part of the manifold that comes back up towards the head or valve cover. I will tell you what will work if those appear to be too tall. The Anderson Ford Motorsport (www.andersonfordmotorsport.com) valve covers solve a lot of problems. They are have a low height yet clear huge lift and rocker ratios, plus they are very high quaility, look very nice, and are reasonably priced. You can get them with a filler neck or without. To my knowledge, these are the best bet for clearance issues and I have done a lot of research on this matter. They are cast so no flimsy stamped steel flanges where oil can leak. Be sure to get the Ford valve cover gaskest too. They cost a little more, but they are reusable and do not leak.
k

Wouter
02-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanx for the info. Will try to check on my engine this weekend and post the results. Hope it works out because getting parts shipped to Europe is quite a hassle...

Wouter
02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
BTW, TMCNo1: valve covers on your 351w look huge, or am I seeing this wrong?

TMCNo1
02-22-2007, 06:09 PM
BTW, TMCNo1: valve covers on your 351w look huge, or am I seeing this wrong?
They are stock chrome Indmar, I dunno, I may have a spacial un rite thar! It runs like a 6 peckered billygoat with diarrhea. :D

Monte
02-22-2007, 09:09 PM
They are stock chrome Indmar, I dunno, I may have a spacial un rite thar! It runs like a 6 peckered billygoat with diarrhea. :D

That is quite an explaination there:D :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
That is quite an explaination there

Unfortunately, I have my moments!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
those are nice looking. I have been looking into some dress up stuff for the enigne. IE new valve covers, billet pullies, and some other goodies.

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 10:01 PM
i just thought about this, the pullies probably won't work out unless i find another one for the raw water pump.

TMCNo1
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
i just thought about this, the pullies probably won't work out unless i find another one for the raw water pump.

Do you know anyone who works at a machine shop, if so, have them make you one off the old pulley to match.

SKI*MC
02-22-2007, 10:55 PM
haha i work at a tool and die shop. I guess i could grab a piece of stock and have my friend machine me something. I think the biggest challenge would be to machine where the belt rides.

TMCNo1
02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
haha i work at a tool and die shop. I guess i could grab a piece of stock and have my friend machine me something. I think the biggest challenge would be to machine where the belt rides.

Shouldn't be that hard to get right. Just make sure you use a strong aluminum alloy or S/S, then polish if the others are polished.

Wouter
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Checked the valve covers last weekend and indeed, they are to tall and interfere with the exhaust manifolds... My MC dealer has some MC valve covers in the shop... Am bracing for the price though. If you're lucky enough to find the right part here, you're garanteed to pay at least double the US price... Let's see what $$$ he comes up with: should be funny. Anyway, if you have more suggestions for valve covers that would fit, please, let me know...

Wouter
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
BTW: I know Hardin marine makes 1/2" spacers for chevy blocks that allow for more room between heads and exhaust manifold to allow for bigger valve covers. Anyone heard of something similar for ford 351w?

Wouter
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Does it look like these would fit?

Wouter
03-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Actually tried those initial valve covers this weekend with a bit more time: they do fit!!! Granted, the space between the cover and the exhaust is about a tenth of a millimeter but they are in!!! Am glad I don't need to go through the whole getting parts shipped to Europe ordeal.

Wouter
08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Installed!!

M-Funf
08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Them's Purdy!

Sodar
08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Looking Good!!