PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio & Sirius Satellite Radio MERGER - 2008

BuoyChaser
02-20-2007, 11:37 AM
i just received this email, minutes ago...great news for those of us who have XM at home and Sirius in our boats and vehicles...

"...we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service..."

======================================

Exciting Merger News from XM

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio

Ric
02-20-2007, 11:44 AM
i just received this email, minutes ago...great news for those of us who have XM at home and Sirius in our boats and vehicles...

"...we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service..."

======================================
Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
CEO, XM Satellite Radio

I have the same setup as you chaser.. XM in the cars, sirius in the boat. Wonder how much hardware we're going to end up needing when they merge?

jimmer2880
02-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I am afraid that after the merger, the cost will greatly rise. But - on the other hand, I'm happy. As, I love the XM lineup, but now that they dropped NASCAR races, I'm rather pv'd, as I usually listen to every race & only watch a few. Torn... Listen to the races (and replays in case I missed some) and nothing else, or listen to everything else & skip the races.

Decisions decisions...... Hopefully the 2 will merge & offer Nascar on both! :D

PendO
02-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I am doubtfull that this will happen ... between the FCC and terrestrial radio stations lobbying $$, there is a lot standing in the way ... the US govt is not fond of creating monopolies ... can't believe how much of a premium SIRI wants to pay XMSR holders ... oh well

Faded & X9-Rated
02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I hope the CD player I bought for my truck will still support XM/Sirius! Finally I can listen to whatever NFL game I want to!! I hope it works out!!

JBaker
02-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I am crossing fingers....

BuoyChaser
02-22-2007, 12:17 PM
if they make us all upgrade our equipment, that is BUNK!!!but that must be why it is taking until 2008, but i've heard the FCC has some issues with only one carrier...the monoply thing, like apple and microsoft...

Hoosier Bob
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I have Sirius and was intending to get the new mobile personal reciever. Couple of hundred bucks, now I do not know how it will work after the merger? I wonder if prices will be dropping on all equipment soon?:confused:

BuoyChaser
02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I have Sirius and was intending to get the new mobile personal reciever. Couple of hundred bucks, now I do not know how it will work after the merger? I wonder if prices will be dropping on all equipment soon?:confused:
i would love to do the same thing as well...we love our iPod but really can't afford buying all the tunes we want for different occasions...that is what is great about satellite, can just switch to a channel based on the occasion...

still don't have a "AudioBook" channel as of yet...continue to use my iPod for that one!!!such a geek sometimes...

JohnE
02-25-2007, 09:19 AM
The merger would indicate to me that neither is doing as well as they want/ need to. The merger might be the alternative to both folding someday. But I'm just winging it with this thought. No education behind the thought.

I wouldn't think that the idea of a monopoly would matter. One of the 2 was the only satellite radio choice at one point, no?

JimN
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
A monopoly doesn't occur from being the first to do something, it's from eliminating one's competition. A merger could be the best thing for XM and Sirius but, as in the AOL/Time Warner case, the worst for the consumer and definitely worst for the stockholders.

Farmer Ted
02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
www.orbitcast.com

all things Sat Rad

good reading about the merger

I think/hope it doesn't go through

it would be like K-Mart merging with Dillards. Sirius playing the role of K-Mart.