PDA

View Full Version : Broken Windshield

puck_11
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone,

I took out my 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205 today to do some cruising on the lake with my friends. Anyways, I was driving on the interstate in the left lane when a large semi trailer decided to change lanes about 12 inches in front of my front bumper. On the back of it was a large sign stating: stay back 200 feet, NOT responsible for broken windshields. I started slowing down as I heard all of the little rocks hitting the windshield of my Explorer. Well anyways, one of the rocks that flew off the trailer took out the left front windshield of my boat. Shattered glass everywhere. It was a big pain in the *** to clean up, and I'm sure I will be finding bits of pieces of glass for years to come. I called a Mastercraft dealer located here in Texas and they quoted like 440 for the windshield and then at least another 800 to install it. They mentioned that they would have to completely remove the windshield frame from the boat, and it would be a lot of labor.

So my questions are:

1. Does this sound resonable to replace the windshield? It doesn't look like you'd need to remove the entire frame to replace the glass, but I'm no mechanic. I've read that it is a huge pain in the *** to remove the frame from the boat. Could I have a local boat dealer do it for me, or a local glass company? The closest Mastercraft dealer is like 3 hours away.

2. I got the trucks license plate, any chance that he could be held responsible since he changed lanes right in front of me, not giving me any opportunity to create any sort of following distance. My dad used to work for a road construction company and they said that if the rock came from under the truck they wouldn't cover it, but if it came from on top of the truck, they would cover it. But he says I'm probably screwed anyways.

I haven't talked to the insurance company yet, but I have a 500 dollar deductable, so either way this is going to be pricey.

And for what its worth I did wakeboard today, even though it was freezing in the water.

JimN
02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Reasonable? No, and it's not $800 worth of difficult to do. Take one piece of the frame off and you'll see why it's not that hard.

I would call the trucking company and ream them a new one. Staying 200' back in all lanes means that traffic could come to a standstill.

WakePowell
02-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Assuming the truck was hauling rock and his trailer was not tarped or his tailgate cleaned you have a good chance of collecting from his insurance. I would give it a shot you’ve got nothing to loose.

T Scott
02-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I broke a windshield on a 1995 PS205 as well a few years back. JIM@Baws hooked me up with a replacement winsdhield from Taylormaid Glass and i believe I paid right around $400 for it. As far as installation, $800 is a TOTAL ripoff!! Even at $80 an hour for labor, there is no way that it will take a dealership 10 hours to do that kind of work. I did mine myself and it wasn't that bad. I had to unscrew the frame on both the side wing glass and front glass to get everythig in place. The biggest thing is to keep the rubber bushing that goes around the glass as the new windshield will not include it. I think the entire installation took me less than 2 hours to do by myself. Good luck with the project, and let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

TMCNo1
02-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I broke a windshield on a 1995 PS205 as well a few years back. JIM@Baws hooked me up with a replacement winsdhield from Taylormaid Glass and i believe I paid right around $400 for it. As far as installation, $800 is a TOTAL ripoff!! Even at $80 an hour for labor, there is no way that it will take a dealership 10 hours to do that kind of work. I did mine myself and it wasn't that bad. I had to unscrew the frame on both the side wing glass and front glass to get everythig in place. The biggest thing is to keep the rubber bushing that goes around the glass as the new windshield will not include it. I think the entire installation took me less than 2 hours to do by myself. Good luck with the project, and let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

Sorry, wrong quote,
puck 11, after talking to the MC dealer and getting that kind of quote, go to several of your local automotive replacement glass companies and inquire about a replacement piece, I feel sure they can replace that piece of glass for you. They usually carry flat DOT approved glass that they can cut to size, so they can replace window glass of various vehicles such as cabins of farm equipment, construction equipment, trucks, motor homes and the like and I know they have more experience in replacing glass than a boat dealer or, if measured properly, the auto glass co. can cut you a piece and as T Scottsaid, you can do it yourself.

milkmania
02-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Sorry, wrong quote,
puck 11, after talking to the MC dealer and getting that kind of quote, go to several of your local automotive replacement glass companies and inquire about a replacement piece, I feel sure they can replace that piece of glass for you. They usually carry flat DOT approved glass that they can cut to size, so they can replace window glass of various vehicles such as cabins of farm equipment, construction equipment, trucks, motor homes and the like and I know they have more experience in replacing glass than a boat dealer or, if measured properly, the auto glass co. can cut you a piece and as T Scottsaid, you can do it yourself.

not sure, but I'm thinking his "left front windshield" is curved....
ICBW:o

Workin' 4 Toys
02-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe the $800 has included a replacement windshield of the 1st replacement windshaield in case it breaks during installation....??
That's my guess.

Footin
02-17-2007, 11:34 PM
400 is not bad for the large curved piece, I paid 200 for the small side one for my 205.

It very easy to replace, it comes with the frame already installed on the glass.

TMCNo1
02-17-2007, 11:49 PM
not sure, but I'm thinking his "left front windshield" is curved....
ICBW:o

I just assumed since he didn't fully explain how the windshield was shaped, I just guessed flat. In that case, a curved windshield section and installed for $800 is a steal, IMO, ICBW.

edwinfuqua
02-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Sounds bad. You could fight it and if your sure to win you could get all your expenses plus some but if you loose..... Fight it if you have the lever in your hand. Personally I would just throw rocks at the next truck I saw... Just kidding.

east tx skier
02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Given that those Taylormade pieces seem to be harder to come by for old boats, I'd jump at the glass price and then do the install yourself or find a dealer that will do it for less. I've seen half of my windshield removed. Just amounts to removal of the nylock nuts under your dash, but may require someone to hold a screwdriver top side. Of course, getting the glass back in the frame can be a little tedious and may require the entire half of the frame to be removed (at least it did in my case). Fortunately, I was only paying to have a rear view mirror mount installed, so the quoted price ($20) was what I paid. $800 sounds ridiculous. Where in Texas are you?

bigmac
02-18-2007, 11:06 AM
The glass used by Taylor is tempered safety glass (not laminated). AFAIK, there's no way to cut tempered glass so it's unlikely they'll have any sitting around to cut to shape. If it's one of the flat side pieces, you'd have to order it to be made specifically.

However, you said left front windshield and that's curved, isn't it? That means you have to get an OEM windshield piece.

As to filing a claim with the trucker - good luck with that but unless you called your insurance agent at the time it happened, or you filed a police report at the time, or some other documentation that it actually occurred - my guess is that the trucking company's insurance carrier would at least dispute your claim and probably ignore it altogether. They'll say you were too close, or that the load was covered and they kicked up a rock (therefore not responsible). What would usually happen is that you'd then file it with your insurance company, pay the deductable, and they would then subrogate against the trucking company's insurance company. My bet is they'll lose and you'll be stuck with the deductable.

Your choice is going to be filing it with your insurance company and hope they'll be successful in getting your deductable back (I laugh as I type that), or just biting the bullet, paying it yourself, and next time filing a claim and/or police report the moment it happens - and don't forget to get lots of on-scene photographs. Insurance companies and small-claims court judges love that stuff. In my view, this is virtually the only reason to have a camera in your cell phone.:rolleyes:

puck_11
02-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. The front glass is curved so I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying the OEM part. Too bad it didn't take out the flat piece in the middle, that one would have been a lot cheaper and easier to replace. I'd rather not file a claim for a low end claim like this so I think I'll just be purchasing the glass myself and installing it myself.

PendO
02-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I'd rather not file a claim for a low end claim like this so I think I'll just be purchasing the glass myself and installing it myself.

Is it on your boat insurance ... I'd file the claim, its gonna get pricey ... sorry about your bad luck ... be glad you were not riding a motorcycle and got knocked in the head:)

jimmer2880
02-19-2007, 06:57 AM
In Maryland, if a rock comes off a truck & hits your vehicle first, then the truck owner is responsible. But, if the rock bounces off of the ground first, then it's an "act of God" & you eat the repair bill yourself.

Having said that, I have no idea how you would go about getting the truck's owner to pay for it.

michael freeman
02-19-2007, 08:52 AM
On the back of it was a large sign stating: stay back 200 feet, NOT responsible for broken windshields.

Just because they put that on the back of their truck does not release them from responsability. Trucks have a big problem with chipping windows, this is their solution to reduce claims. If something blows out the top of their truck when they are going 20 mph or faster (if I remember correctly) they are responsable, just like you would be responsable if something blew out of your pickup truck and hit someone.

bigmac
02-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Just because they put that on the back of their truck does not release them from responsability. Trucks have a big problem with chipping windows, this is their solution to reduce claims. If something blows out the top of their truck when they are going 20 mph or faster (if I remember correctly) they are responsable, just like you would be responsable if something blew out of your pickup truck and hit someone.The problem in this case though is the practicality of executing the claim and proving the truck's liability. If he'd called his insurance agent the moment it happened and filed a police report, he'd have something to work with. Now, here we are several days later, no witnesses, not police report - such a claim would certainly be met with a lot of skepticism. The difficulties involved in glass claims are the reason most auto policies have a very low deductable for glass replacement (mine's $25) and NO deductable for glass repair. The expense the insurance companies incur from processing and pursuing the claim makes them want to encourage a "no fault" approach. Obviously that won't help puck_11 whose boat winshsield was damaged and therefore not covered by such a policy. I agree that it's likely the truck is responsible, and I'll bet he'd have a claim worth pursuing if he had at-the-time documentation of the incident, although it seems pretty clear that the "200 feet/not responsible for windshields" disclaimer on the back of the truck signals the company's declaration that they would fight such a claim as a matter of policy.

puck_11
02-20-2007, 01:36 AM
I had called the insurance company right after it had hapened, but my phone went dead at the time as I was put on hold. I actually called my main insurance company (USAA) to try to get the phone number and details of my boat insurance which they run through Progressive. I actually do have 3 witnesses who were in the car with me. However, I did not file a police report, it never occured to me at the time,

"Is it on your boat insurance ... I'd file the claim, its gonna get pricey ... sorry about your bad luck ... be glad you were not riding a motorcycle and got knocked in the head"

Pendo, I have a $500 deductable, I figure if I can get the windshield for the $440 that I was quoted and install it myself, then that would be the better way to go. Even if it did cost 1000 in the end I think I may avoid the claim. My insurance rates are high enough as it is being a 24 year old single male with a boat, motorcycle, and car on the policy. I try to do whatever it takes to keep my rates down :), and save the claims for higher $ damages.

Most of these questions can probably be resolved when I get the chance to talk to Progressive, I've been a little too busy lately. I'll keep everyone upated.

East Tx Skier, I am located in Corpus Christi, TX. I believe the closest Mastercraft dealer is in San Antonio, which would be pretty expensive for me to trailer my boat to. I get real crappy mpg with my underpowered, overweight Explorer.

H20skeefreek
02-20-2007, 08:20 AM
puck, see if you can get the taylormade part number either from the dealer or by calling taylormade at 518-773-9243, the PM me or call me with the part number, I'll see how much I can get it for you for. You can call me at 803-750-5034. It'll take me a few days to get a price on a special order, but I MIGHT be able to help.

Jim@BAWS
02-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I took out my 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205 today to do some cruising on the lake with my friends. Anyways, I was driving on the interstate in the left lane when a large semi trailer decided to change lanes about 12 inches in front of my front bumper. On the back of it was a large sign stating: stay back 200 feet, NOT responsible for broken windshields. I started slowing down as I heard all of the little rocks hitting the windshield of my Explorer. Well anyways, one of the rocks that flew off the trailer took out the left front windshield of my boat. Shattered glass everywhere. It was a big pain in the *** to clean up, and I'm sure I will be finding bits of pieces of glass for years to come. I called a Mastercraft dealer located here in Texas and they quoted like 440 for the windshield and then at least another 800 to install it. They mentioned that they would have to completely remove the windshield frame from the boat, and it would be a lot of labor.

So my questions are:

1. Does this sound resonable to replace the windshield? It doesn't look like you'd need to remove the entire frame to replace the glass, but I'm no mechanic. I've read that it is a huge pain in the *** to remove the frame from the boat. Could I have a local boat dealer do it for me, or a local glass company? The closest Mastercraft dealer is like 3 hours away.

2. I got the trucks license plate, any chance that he could be held responsible since he changed lanes right in front of me, not giving me any opportunity to create any sort of following distance. My dad used to work for a road construction company and they said that if the rock came from under the truck they wouldn't cover it, but if it came from on top of the truck, they would cover it. But he says I'm probably screwed anyways.

I haven't talked to the insurance company yet, but I have a 500 dollar deductable, so either way this is going to be pricey.

And for what its worth I did wakeboard today, even though it was freezing in the water.

The truck is responsible for the repairs
In FL there is NO deductable on windshields Call you insurance
company...or his

André
02-25-2007, 09:27 PM
The truck is responsible for the repairs
In FL there is NO deductable on windshields Call you insurance
company...or his
...or Jim for a replacement part!:)

flipper
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Stupid question, but your insurance will not cover road hazard? Mine will, that's why I ask.

puck_11
02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I called my insurance company, the windshield will be replaced for my $500 deductable, and since it wasn't my fault, my premiums won't go up. As far the no deductable for windshields, I'm guessing that only applies to the car that you are driving, not any towed vehicles. I'm meeting with my claim rep sometime this week, maybe he will be able to answer a few more of my questions.