PDA

View Full Version : Pin Stripe Removal

BriEOD
01-11-2005, 11:30 PM
I have come to the well of knowledge for some suggestions. I'm in the process of doing my winter fixer-uppers on the ol' boat. Right now she's down at the fiberglass shop getting some scratches, nicks, etc touched up. When I get it back I'm going to replace the pin stripe. I've already purchased it. My boat has 3 stripes on it: 2 ea 1/4" red stripes and 1 ea 1" ultra metallic silver stripe. Some of the red is missing in spots and the silver is cracked and faded badly in others. I plan on pulling it all off and using a high speed orbital polisher to apply a restoration kit with a sealer before applying the new striping. My challenge is getting it all off. As I said some of the 1" stripe is cracking, fading, and pretty rough looking. Obviously I don't want to go at it with a razor blade and paint thinner!! Granted it's 18 years old and due a replacement. Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any constructive advice on how to tackle this project. Thanks ahead of time.

Bongo
01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Why not a razor blade?

I took the big MasterCraft logo, Prostar 190 logo and related decals off the sides of my boat with a razor blade and it worked fine.

First, my boat is a 1989 Prostar 190. It has spent most summers on a boat lift with one side getting a lot more sun than the other. Nonetheless, both sides had the MasterCraft logo / signage on the side of the boat beat up from the sides of the boat lift. One side (the passenger side, which was in the sun more) had decals that were much more brittle.

I used an orbital polisher and gave the boat a good wax. I then took a razor blade to the decals and pinstripping I wanted to remove. Since it was all on a flat surface and the surrounding surface was very slick (i.e. waxed), the decals come off well.

My advice: Work slowly. Take it in small doses, where you're not tempted to get impatient and do it quickly. Make sure the razor blade is almost parallel to the surface from which you're removing the pinstripping or decal. (If you get closer to perpendicular, you're more likely to take a small chunk of gel coat with.)

Just my $0.02.

Bongo

Mag_Red
01-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Never done it on a boat.........remove decals..........but I find heating them up with a blow dryer will make the job much easier. :headbang:

Bongo
01-12-2005, 01:59 AM
A six pack and a warm evening help as well...

Seriously, I wouldn't have started into it, except that "MasterCraft" looked a lot more like "Ma_____ft" from the sides. I always intended to replace what I took off, but decided that those who know good boats can see it is a MasterCraft Prostar 190. Those who ask, I just tell them its a Bayliner. ;) ;) ;)

Bongo

AirJunky
01-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I used a hair dryer & a can of Goof Off. Then I waxed the boat with 3M fiberglass wax. The only shadow that can still be seen is on the stern.

http://airjunky.com/temp/rotm2.jpg

Be careful using a razorblade on that fiberglass!

H20skeefreek
01-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Bri,

This is what my Dad does for a living. He pinstripes using vinyl. the best/easiest/safest way to do it is with a pinstripe eraser wheel. you should be able to get one at any auto parts or automotive paint store. it's a disk that attaches to a drill and you basically rub the stripe off, as long as you don't keep it in one spot, you cannot damage the gel. it is definatly the way to go, I've removed stripes from conversion vans (lots of stripes) with one.

east tx skier
01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
From my Jeep experience, a heat gun works well for removing decals, but requires patience. I've used one of those plastic spatulas instead of a razor and it works well and doesn't hurt the finish. Just keep the heat gun moving.

3M makes an adhesive remover, but I'd be, at least, a little leary of putting it on the boat. As long as you waxed afterwards, it'd probably be okay.

H20's pinstripe remover is probably a good bet.

Thrall
01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Just heat 'em up a little w/ a heat gun (hair dryer takes too long) and scrape off w/ a razor blade. Make sure you dull the blade a little, new blade will have tendancy to "catch" on the gel coat. I use a propane torch, don't have a heat gun, just as long as you don't hold the torch in one spot and keep it 6" or so away, moving constantly, it works fine.
Then just wipe off the glue residue w/ lacquer thinner.
Don't wax it before putting on the new stripes/decals. You want the surface completely clean, no wax/oils, etc.

H20skeefreek
01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Just heat 'em up a little w/ a heat gun (hair dryer takes too long) and scrape off w/ a razor blade. Make sure you dull the blade a little, new blade will have tendancy to "catch" on the gel coat. I use a propane torch, don't have a heat gun, just as long as you don't hold the torch in one spot and keep it 6" or so away, moving constantly, it works fine.
Then just wipe off the glue residue w/ lacquer thinner.
Don't wax it before putting on the new stripes/decals. You want the surface completely clean, no wax/oils, etc.

I agree that you shouldn't wax before you re-stripe. But stay away from your boat with a propane torch!!! :uglyhamme

BriEOD
01-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the relies.

Thrall
01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree that you shouldn't wax before you re-stripe. But stay away from your boat with a propane torch!!! :uglyhamme
Gotta be careful is all. Start w/ the torch too far away and move it in w/ your hand on the surface until it starts getting hot (not until you burn your hand). Use that as a distance guage and then keep the torch moving as you're heating the decal. A real heat gun is just like an electric torch. It'll burn/damage the surface almost as quickly as the torch if not used properly.
Removed many decals and stripes from boats, cars, sleds, etc. Torch works good. :D

captkidd
01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Thought it was really funny that this thread was listed several threads above one titled, "Pinstripe Installation". I checked to see if the same person had started both threads. Typically a lot of my DIY projects require both instructions on how to do it yourself and then how to fix it after I attempt to DIY.

BriEOD
02-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok, I removed all three pin stripes. I ended up using a propane blow torch. I heated up the stripe then used my fingernail to start peeling it back and it came off pretty easily once I got the routine down. I thought it went well considering the stripe is 18 years old!