PDA

View Full Version : $500 Mountain Bikes

tex
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I need a bike to get my knee and fat ars back in shape. I cannot hit the off road hard but would like a good bike in the $500 range. I would get bored on a road bike. Any suggestions?

sanjuan23
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Raleigh had them since I got my first BMX in fact still have it in the attic. Kind of a personal prefernce thing.

Leroy
02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I would say any get a mountain bike, much more rugged and comfortable and $500 will get a great bike at your local shop.

cbryan70
02-16-2007, 10:26 PM
what kind of riding will you be doing just road driving? i know a guy who ahs been in the buisness for years ill give him a call just let me know what the main uses are

JKTX21
02-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a Trek mountain bike, I think I paid $400 for it. I think you can get a lot more bike for around 600-700.

sanjuan23
02-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Tex give this a shot looks like they have a store in your neck of the woods.

www.bicyclesinc.com

tex
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Tex give this a shot looks like they have a store in your neck of the woods.

www.bicyclesinc.com
They are just down the street. I will probely buy from them. I will ride both street and off road. I can be pretty rough on my toys. I want front suspension with a cocktail holder!

sanjuan23
02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Hell just put the cocktails in a camelback and your got to go..

Ric
02-17-2007, 11:55 AM
just got one for my fatarse too! Trek5400... She better not have paid more than 500!

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I picked up my GIANT Yukon later in the year last year. It's not top of the line, but it had decent components (disc brakes even) on it and I liked the frame geometry (less chance for nutz crunch!). I don't recall exact pricing but it was around $300-$400. I've only ridin it a handful of times and nothing extreme trail, but from what I've experienced I like it.

MarkP
02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Tex
You can do well enough for 500 bucks. Maybe the Gary fisher Piranha.. http://trekofpgh.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=2080 Youíll get decent components and disk breaks.. My buddy just got an 06 for 550 at the LBS.. For a couple of hundred bucks more you can get a little better drive train and maybe a little lighter bike but if its just for rehab, five-ish will get you into it..
Be careful though. You may find out you really like it and need to upgrade that bike.. Iím glad I only bought a 500 dollar bike because after riding a while Iím now more sure of what I want in a bike.

corey
02-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm a Cannondale guy through and through. They make their aluminum frames in the U.S. which almost nobody else does. (Cannondale does not make carbon fiber road frames in the U.S)
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/hardtail/model-7FS5.html

For $500 I'd get a Specialized Rockhopper. Awesome frame, good components and a frame that is comfortable to ride yet somewhat aggressive if you want to race your buddies.

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22177

corey
02-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Not sure on the prices but you may want to check out the Cannondale F4, I would ballpark this bike to be in the 700-800 range.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/hardtail/model-7FS4.html

This bike has radically better fork with lock out which makes it alot easier to roll down the street with. The Head Shock has 80mm of travel has the steering precision of a ridgid front fork. Suspension front forks are not all created equal and many are not rebuildable but the Head Shock is. The derailures and brakes are also quite a bit better (faster shifting, more reliable and more braking modulation).

MarkP
02-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm a Cannondale guy through and through. They make their aluminum frames in the U.S. which almost nobody else does. (Cannondale does not make carbon fiber road frames in the U.S)
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/mountain/hardtail/model-7FS5.html

For $500 I'd get a Specialized Rockhopper. Awesome frame, good components and a frame that is comfortable to ride yet somewhat aggressive if you want to race your buddies.

http://specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22177
Apples to apples though. You have to spend 900 bucks with Specialized RH to get into a ďdecentĒ drive train.. (not that the Deore is all that great) but I donít think I would want anything less..

MarkP
02-17-2007, 01:32 PM
LOL, I donít believe you brought up that F4.. Thatís one thing I never liked about the Cannondale bike Co, (they always screw around with the front suspension). The Fís The ďLeftyĒ I just donít get it..
I agree that ďSuspension front forks are not all created equal ď But that Cannondale stuff just scares me.:eek3: .

corey
02-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I can't argue with that I'd want Deore as a minimum too. I assumed the RH came with it, I swear it did just a year or two ago.

corey
02-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I have it on good authority that Chris Parrish rides a lefty. He was in this summer and we talked about bikes, he rode my road bike which was funny to watch since I am 5'9" and he's well over 6'.

kycat2007
02-17-2007, 02:05 PM
The Gary Fisher bikes are good as well. You should be able to find a good model for around $600

MarkP
02-17-2007, 02:11 PM
I can't argue with that I'd want Deore as a minimum too. I assumed the RH came with it, I swear it did just a year or two ago.
I think they may have in past years.. When I bought my bike last year I actually went to buy the Rockhopper but for a little less money I did a little better with the components Getting the bike that I did..

I didnít plan on using the bike for much other than staying in shape over the winter so I wasnít too particular.. After riding for a while, XC single track with some big climbs thrown in Iím glad I didnít spend 2500 bucks on one of those long travel bikes that I think look soooo cool.. (I just donít have the use for that kind of bike).

I do however have a better idea now, of exactly how I will use a bike and what components are good for what I want to do.. And that riding will be a lot more than just killing time in the winter.. I have plans to test drive a Paragon as soon as the weather breaks and will probably buy one or one of GFís full suspension 29íers..

MarkP
02-17-2007, 02:14 PM
The Gary Fisher bikes are good as well. You should be able to find a good model for around $600
Gary Fisher really does put together a nice bike.. I just got an 05 Marlin for my daughter and my 3rd just got the Piranha..

Monte
02-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I hate to sound cheap, but I am.. Go check out some pawn shops while you are shopping, I picked up a Gary Fisher advance for $125 about 4 yrs ago. It has been a reliable and durable bike..

Labatt911
02-17-2007, 02:32 PM
GT i Drive, full suspension I got mine right around 500 bucks

MarkP
02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Lets try to spend some money for Tex!
If you can come up with a few extra bucks this is what your looking for. Looks like a an 06 X Cal. The 07 goes for about 14. Maybe you can talk him down from 8 but 8 isnít bad. http://dallas.craigslist.org/bik/280039242.html .
Keep in mind the frame guarantee doesnít transfer, (per Fisher web site) so look it over good..

Harvey
02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I got a Giant a couple years back with front suspension only (rear suspension is worthless unless you are doing some technical riding) for around $500 bucks. It has disc brakes, front suspension and overall has been a solid bike. I can recommend cannondale and gary fisher as good bikes as well.

I grew up in Bicycles Inc. The store in Bedford is two blocks from my parents house. I bought my first racing BMX there. They are good people and will take care of you but they don't carry Giant. If you want to look at the Giants try these guys the are a solid bike shop http://grapevinebikecenter.com/

MarkP
02-17-2007, 06:53 PM
I need a bike to get my knee and fat ars back in shape. I cannot hit the off road hard but would like a good bike in the $500 range. I would get bored on a road bike. Any suggestions?
Just be careful!!!!!!!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=K-xR1HErmH8

Andrť
02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Good to see you on the board Mark!
Keep this thread alive so we can read you more!

MarkP
02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Good to see you on the board Mark!
Keep this thread alive so we can read you more!
Hey just the guy I want to see!! Can you translate that utube thing at all? Are the saying something like ďOh, No, itís a horseĒ ?

lakesnake
02-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I think ole Wal-Mart has one that's a road bike. It's pedal plus and electric motor. Well actually as I looked it up I found a more off-road version. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5391437

I doubt this will do anything for you, but tons of people browse threads just to look. This might be a great bike for an older person to ride around the campground with his/her spouse.

tex
02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I ended up spending a little extra on the Trek 6000D. I pick it up today. I bought it at Bicyclesinc in Keller. One of girls from the the Bedford store helped me. I rode a $750 Specialized and this just rode better. I'll put some pictures up later.

jimmer2880
02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I know this is too late - but my next bike will be a recumbant (sp?). My place is on the C&O canal & there is a guy who regularly rides his on it. He swears by it. The way my back hurts after a good ride on my Fuji - there is no doubt that a recumbant will be my next bike.

Mag_Red
02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Mark....how's this bike look???

MarkP
02-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey Mark....how's this bike look???
Mag
Is that the Fantom Comp? Looks like it has decent components. Some of the reviews pick on the suspension components and the brakes a little. I actually prefer the mec disc brakes over the hydraulic.

I think thatís a direct factory buy product for about 900, right..

You can read some of the reviews.. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_suspension/product_123972.shtml

Mag_Red
02-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Mag
Is that the Fantom Comp? Looks like it has decent components. Some of the reviews pick on the suspension components and the brakes a little. I actually prefer the mec disc brakes over the hydraulic.

I think thatís a direct factory buy product for about 900, right..

You can read some of the reviews.. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc_full_suspension/product_123972.shtml
You're right on the $$$ Mark. Damed you're GOOD! Thinking about getting rid of the road bike for something more comfortable. I do have a almost brand new Girls Trek bike I'd like to get some $$ out of. My daughter barely rode it when she was young:rolleyes:

MarkP
02-18-2007, 12:53 PM
You're right on the $$$ Mark. Damed you're GOOD! Thinking about getting rid of the road bike for something more comfortable. I do have a almost brand new Girls Trek bike I'd like to get some $$ out of. My daughter barely rode it when she was young:rolleyes:
You know Craigslist is probably your best bet to get rid of a bike..
You know when you get into the woods you may find out that the rear suspension isnít really as necessary as you think. Unless you are a real aggressive rider. You know, jumping over everything you see and stuff like that..
I thought thatís how I would ride, but the trails available to me are for the most part cross country single-track with varying degrees of technical difficulty.. Way fun and good for you..

I would go ahead and recommend the Gary Fisher Cobia 29er for you.. itís a 29Ē wheel bike.. A lot of good reasons to consider a bike like that.. I think this summer or fall I will probably go with the Paragon, (same as the Cobia but better components and a lot more money), like 1700. I think the Cobia goes for 9ish and has acceptable components..
Gary fisher had a few issues with the frames of some of the 29ers but do have a non transferable guarantee on the frame, so new would be best..

MarkP
02-18-2007, 01:00 PM
You know Craigslist is probably your best bet to get rid of a bike..
You know when you get into the woods you may find out that the rear suspension isnít really as necessary as you think. Unless you are a real aggressive rider. You know, jumping over everything you see and stuff like that..
I thought thatís how I would ride, but the trails available to me are for the most part cross country single-track with varying degrees of technical difficulty.. Way fun and good for you..

I would go ahead and recommend the Gary Fisher Cobia 29er for you.. itís a 29Ē wheel bike.. A lot of good reasons to consider a bike like that.. I think this summer or fall I will probably go with the Paragon, (same as the Cobia but better components and a lot more money), like 1700. I think the Cobia goes for 9ish and has acceptable components..
Gary fisher had a few issues with the frames of some of the 29ers but do have a non transferable guarantee on the frame, so new would be best..
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI405P00-Gary+Fisher+Cobia+Bike+06.aspx?sc=bbbsearch&x=y

This is what it looks like.

MarkP
02-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow
I just read that last post and, ya know I say ya know a lotÖ:o

Mag_Red
02-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Mark, how come most of these sites don't list the weight of these bikes?? Isn't that important?? How much would that Gary Fisher weigh?

MarkP
02-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Mark, how come most of these sites don't list the weight of these bikes?? Isn't that important?? How much would that Gary Fisher weigh?
A lot of bike sites do list the weight. And it is relatively important. I would think that Cobia 29er is just over 30, the X Cal 29er closer to 30 and the Paragon 29er just under 30. All about the same bike except the fork, drive train, wheels and tires.. (oh and price, like 900, 1400, 1700) Probably loose the most weight from the better wheels and fork..

25ish to 30ish is good on a mountain bike.. I guess road bikes are getting as low as sub 20..
Downhill, big suspension bikes are more like 35-40..

MarkP
02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I ended up spending a little extra on the Trek 6000D. I pick it up today. I bought it at Bicyclesinc in Keller. One of girls from the the Bedford store helped me. I rode a $750 Specialized and this just rode better. I'll put some pictures up later.
Nice, a lot of good stuff on that Trek bike. Trek makes Gary fisher I think..

I don’t like how the entry level Spec bikes ride either.

I guess starting out as a rehab tool you may start out slow.. From what I read its one of the best things to use for knee rehab. Be careful though, its easy to get addicted..

Leroy
02-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I have a Haro mountain bike that I put ~2k miles on a year and have for the past 10 years, great bike. I think weight on the mountain bike doesn't matter so much, handling and smooth center tread if you ride on the road much, road bike it really does, and for tri-A's the wind resistance matters most as you will already be around 16-18 lbs.

We have one good trail around here. I used my mountain bike to come back from necrotizing fascitis (sp) surgery when I didn't move my knee for 4 weeks. Started out only able to do part of a pedal circle riding around the nighborhood. Rode 12 hour endurance race in hills after ~year after that completing 185 miles.

MarkP
02-21-2007, 10:26 AM
They are just down the street. I will probely buy from them. I will ride both street and off road. I can be pretty rough on my toys. I want front suspension with a cocktail holder!

You mean like this?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aph9M0QlVL0&NR

tex
02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I just took my first ride on the new bike. Need to make a few adjustments-shifts a little slow. Other than that...I love it.

Mag_Red
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
You mean like this?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aph9M0QlVL0&NRAnybody know the band doing the sound track???[edit] Nevermind...just like I thought.....another great one by Saliva![ edit off]

MarkP
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I just took my first ride on the new bike. Need to make a few adjustments-shifts a little slow. Other than that...I love it.Ah, hem !!! No pics??

Ric
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
okay!!!!!!!!! Pedal crank came off my new Trek this morning

I have only ridden the damn thing maybe 10 times.

anybody know if I own a piece of dukey or is this possibly an isolated incident resulting from my lack of maintenance work on the new bike?

there is a single screw that threads into the square shaft on which the crank fits... Wife just happened to drive by and see me workin on the bike and was able to go home and ge me some tools....
Looks like there may be some bigger jam nut or keeper or something that threads into the aluminum crank after you tighten down the allen center screw but I have not inspected in depth :mad:

tex
03-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Wetsuits are hanging on mine!

richardsoncd
03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
I am not sure if it has been said yet, but if you do get a MTB and don't want to do much single track riding, make sure you get a shock that can "lock out" which means you'll be riding a rigid frame. This will make all the diffrence in the world while riding on the road, or greenway style trails because you won't loose any inertia (spp.) through the travel of the shock. This is a common feature on hybrids, but don't go hybrid...go MTB with a locking shock, rigid tail, and put hybrid tires on it, that way you can ride single track when your knee heels. Besides the big companies, I would also look at Jamis...they make great bikes, I know the owner of a pro team that uses them, I think my next Tri bike will be a Jamis, my next MTB will defintely be a Jamis and I have riden Santa Cruz (great full suspension), Fuji, GT (before they went bankrupt and started making Wal-Mart bikes), and Trek....Felt also makes a great bike, both Felt and Jamis will give you a lot more for your money with great component packages as well. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Ric
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
the shop called me and said that the big threaded bore in the crank is for the puller they use at the shop and nothing threads into that gap normally

my curiosity is piqued

if you need a puller to remove a crank from a trek, how in the hell did my fatass peddling it over 8 or 10 rides cause the crank to come off? hahahahah I have superstrength or did a numbnut tighten the nut when the bike was built?

Maristar210
03-20-2007, 11:20 AM
the shop called me and said that the big threaded bore in the crank is for the puller they use at the shop and nothing threads into that gap normally

my curiosity is piqued

if you need a puller to remove a crank from a trek, how in the hell did my fatass peddling it over 8 or 10 rides cause the crank to come off? hahahahah I have superstrength or did a numbnut tighten the nut when the bike was built?

Let me answer that for you.....

Force times gravity equals a fat bastard like me:D

Ric
03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Let me answer that for you.....

Force times gravity equals a fat bastard like me:D I prefer to think of it as superstrength

JimN
03-20-2007, 11:48 AM
It could happened if the bolt loosened and the crank wobbled because of your super human strength. Aluminum being softer than steel, the hole was embiggened and it fell off.

Ric
03-20-2007, 11:50 AM
myass is gonna be embiggened if the pedals won't stay on the bike because I aint givin up the beer

JimN
03-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I think you may be forgetting how these are made now that human labor is getting too expensive. The pricey Treks are made here in Wisconsin, the less expensive are made in China by machines and you know what they say about machines:

www.lowb.org/alan/frink/audio/Frink-Chaos_Theory.wav

Ric
03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
that erks me right there... my 9 yr old had a pedal fall off her walmart bike and had a helluva wreck and we all just said that's what we get for getting her a walmart bike... I NEVER expected a pedal to fall off a Trek :mad:

JimN
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I'd call the company about this.

Ric
03-20-2007, 12:11 PM
right after I get through with SI about their green agenda in my escapist weekly

Leroy
03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I would call this an isolated incident, fix it and ride Mr Embiggened! With DST it is already light until 8PM in Indy now, great evening riding time.

Ric
03-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I would call this an isolated incident, fix it and ride Mr Embiggened! With DST it is already light until 8PM in Indy now, great evening riding time. okay I will .

flyingskibiker
03-20-2007, 04:32 PM

my curiosity is piqued

i was gonna say that the outer threads are for pullers. the shaft is beveled and the crank becomes tighter as the single bolt in the center forces the crank arm on the shaft. since the crank is aluminum and the shaft is hardened steel, the aluminum will "crush" when there is enough force and become loose. so, the bolt has to be tightened pretty much after every ride for the first few rides or after some abuse - jumps, big bumps, my heavy foot trying to go over/up something that requires all my (extreme) strength, etc. this will happen little by little until the crank has finally found a happy spot. long story short, i've seen this happen on every new set of cranks i've owned. course, i'm larger than the average bear and do some borderline stuff... i check mine a lot...

Ric
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
i was gonna say that the outer threads are for pullers. the shaft is beveled and the crank becomes tighter as the single bolt in the center forces the crank arm on the shaft. since the crank is aluminum and the shaft is hardened steel, the aluminum will "crush" when there is enough force and become loose. so, the bolt has to be tightened pretty much after every ride for the first few rides or after some abuse - jumps, big bumps, my heavy foot trying to go over/up something that requires all my (extreme) strength, etc. this will happen little by little until the crank has finally found a happy spot. long story short, i've seen this happen on every new set of cranks i've owned. course, i'm larger than the average bear and do some borderline stuff... i check mine a lot... well there you have it... I will buy that theory and had some dam salesman mentioned that, I would have had alot better morning Monday!

MarkP
08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Cant believe I missed all this “bike falling apart” stuff! That’s too funny. I came looking for this thread to see what ric ended up getting, (I see now).

I have a short list of 08s that I’m eager to check out in a few weeks when they hit the stores.
So, I’ll have an entry level 500$ bike for sale soon for about 250. But it’s the type of bike that doesn’t loose the crank arm off of the bottom bracket. Crap, that’s too dam funny!!!

Ric
08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
say that reminds me..... I better go check the tightess of those cranks again :o

what's a good adults bike helmet ?

87MCProstar
08-10-2007, 11:02 AM
tex,
i ride a gary fisher, subcompany of trek. its a great bike and have riden them for a while. like other people have said its a personal preference, my only opinon is to go to a bike shop. better quality and service than a dick's or sports authority.

pq2
08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Does anyone had an Orbea bicicle, Im want to buy one but I will like to hear about them

MarkP
08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
say that reminds me..... I better go check the tightess of those cranks again :o

what's a good adults bike helmet ?
Anything that bell makes should work ok http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=4 (http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=4)
Should be available at Dicks or SA. I have the ďAquilaĒ, or something like that. Iíve been thinking about getting the Azonic ďsurroundĒ http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE403F00-Azonic+Surround+Sound+Helmet.aspx helmet so I can plug the Ipod in..

MarkP
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Does anyone had an Orbea bicicle, Im want to buy one but I will like to hear about them
Iíd say go for it!! A lot of good parts on that bike!! Have you read any reviews on MTBR?

If youíre an ebayer--

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Orbea-Lanza-29er-19-NEW_W0QQitemZ300140296023QQihZ020QQcategoryZ98083Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Orbea-Lanza-29er-17-NEW_W0QQitemZ300140295969QQihZ020QQcategoryZ98083Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ric
08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I could wear that jenson helmet to school!

MarkP
08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
You mean on ďthe short busĒ??
LOL, I know but itís the only one that I have found that you can plug the music into.:o .

Ric
08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Franks and Beans!

MarkP
08-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Does anyone had an Orbea bicicle, Im want to buy one but I will like to hear about themhttp://www.mtbr.com/reviews/manufacturers/8553/ See if this works..