PDA

View Full Version : Looking for owner feedback on 2001-2003 209 or X9

SteveO
01-11-2005, 11:27 PM
I am in the market for a 2001-2003 PS 209 with tower or an X9, and would like to hear feedback from current 209/ X9 owners.

jj209
01-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Current owner of an 02' Prostar 209 (no tower). My family and I love the boat. More specifically what do you want to know? We are skiers, ski mostly at 22' off 32-34mph. We moved to 22' off due to less of a bump crossing the wake. There is a more noticeable bump at 15' off. Both of my girls 7 and 9 learned to ski behind it, love the platform for getting ski's on/off. We are novice wakeboarders, but have fun playing when done skiing, wakes are decent w/ no ballasts. I wouldn't trade my 209 for any other MC. We love the room, it ski's great, has awesome power (310hp) and is a great cruiser. All MC's are just solid, can't wait until spring.

sizzler
01-12-2005, 03:01 AM
X9 owner since may......absolutely love it....both my girls(7 and 9 ) board behind it ...fill the ballasts and watch the wake grow...dump'em and let her rip and i'm footin behind it in a sweet little curl....the amt of space is fantastic and the driving experience is great....you'll love it :banana:

tex
01-12-2005, 09:58 AM
I am in the market for a 2001-2003 PS 209 with tower or an X9, and would like to hear feedback from current 209/ X9 owners.
what kind of skiing do you want to do?

SteveO
01-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I prefer to slalom, both open and some course time, but also enjoy wakeboarding. Not an ultra competitive course skier as it has been some time since I have been in the the course, but can't imagine going below 22 off to frequently. Want something big enough for the family and will be training my 6 1/2 year old girl who is dying to ski this year. Learned to ski behind a PS 190, but I will give up some wake for the added room.

mitch
01-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Steve, it sounds like you're more toward skiing vs. boarding. Shop it against a 197~X-7 if you can . Less room but a better slalom wake. Either way, you'll be happy. :love:

tex
01-12-2005, 11:11 AM
i have the 02 197. i am just getting back into the course. you are going to suffer a little in the course with the 209 but the extra room would be f'n great. i have heard that the bow dips alot more on the 209. i wanted the 209 bad but got too good of a deal on my 197 to pass up. it is nice to pull up to the dock at our site and watch the hard core slalom guys foam at the mouth!

DanC
01-12-2005, 01:06 PM
After 22 years of owning only closed bow Ski Nautiques, the ProStar 209 was my first first choice for an open bow.

I am not very fond of the 209s slalom wake. The bumps don't bother me as much as the trough on either side of the wake. However, it is still a better wake than my 1980 and '87 Ski Nautiques (the '90 was sweet) and the few V-drives I have been behind. At my age, I am not getting any better anyway so the wake is not my limiting factor. My oldest teenager has no problem with making passes at long line, 30 mph and most people think the wake gets better at shorter line lengths. There has been some discussion here (search the archives) that early 209s had no hook to the hull. Some people had the fiberglass modified to put a hook in the stern to flatten out the slalom wake.

For wakeboarding, I put a custom sack in the front ski locker, a standard fat sack in the back ski locker and the factory sack under the back seat. We throw same Fat Buddies or water bed tubes around the floor depending on the size of the crew. The wider beam makes it a little tougher to sink to get a great wakeboard wake, but only a little tougher. The wakeboard wake is great and no problems surfing. In fact, not a lot of boats can do this (see picture)

The wake is wider because of the boat's wider beam. It just takes a little getting used to and adjusting line lengths accordingly.

The storage room in the 209 is great for a direct drive and the amount of room to walk around in is better than any direct drive I have been in (tried almost all of them at the boat show).

Unlike any other direct drive open bow I have been in, you can put two people comfortably in the passenger seat. Three are a squish with the jump seat.

Nose dip is something you have to watch for but is on par with other large open bow direct drives.

Everytime I start second guessing myself and wish I had the 197 or a 190, I remember the latest trip out with 4-6 teenagers. I have two teenage sons and they like girls :eek3: I no longer have to tell my boys they can only bring one person each (the ski buddy or a girlfriend?). Now they would rather spend the day on the water with Dad than anything else. In my book that beats running a personal best at the course.

MarkP
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Well said Dan

vtbuehler
01-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I have a 2002 x-9 and do a far amount of skiing and wakeboarding with it. We love the boat for both sports and with all of the room you are able to bring friends. I have a 11 year old son who wakeboards in the INT tour in New England and with the stand weight he can do what ever trick he wants. As for course skiing it is ok but does not have the wake of the 197 or 190, also the believe the wake on the 209 without the tower is better. But for a good all round boat that can do what ever you want it to is a great boat. We have wakeboard pro perfect pass and the 330 hp, with standard fat sacs, also have two 350lbs bags for each side of the engine if my son really wants a really big wake. :) :)

mitch
01-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Anyone know which has a better slalom wake, a 2000ish PS205DD or the PS209?

Mark, Nice!

Ryan
01-12-2005, 01:43 PM
DanC,

What lake is that? That water looks awesome!

DanC
01-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks MarkP :toast:
Ryan, that is Bullards Bar in CA. The water wasn't as great as it looks in the picture, afternoon winds, hence the wakesurfing. Of course when you are houseboating, the morning glass spoils you :dance: .
Mitch, I haven't been behind a 205 but I have seen enough pictures and heard enough to believe the slalom wake is better behind the 205DD.

Ryan
01-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm gonig to have to look into that lake. The water looks like Tahiti. And there are house boatstoo? I'm sold.

I'll have to find a picture of the lake I go to, it's kind of a KoolAid/mossy green... and that's not a good thing. My wife believes it has changed the color of her swimsuits.

AirJunky
01-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Wish I could say I was a 209 owner..... but I have a buddy who is. '02 Sammy Duvall with the Zeroflex tower to be more specific. Not being a skier or boarder though..... the wake is super nice. Clearly defined & gives great pop. Plus the boat is wider & has more room than my 205. Also loved having the stereo in the glovebox & just the remote on the dash. When I grow up, I'll be looking at the 209/X9 for sure.