PDA

View Full Version : My Son's First HS Game as the Starting Pitcher

trickskier
02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
My son started playing T-Ball when he was old enough. My wife was one of the coaches. He has played Rec Ball for years. This year we transferred him to a school that has one of the best Baseball programs in North Florida. More than 60 kids tried out for 44 positions. He made the cut and last night he was the starting pitcher on the JV team. They won 11-1.....:D

trickskier
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Windup........

3event
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Cool stuff man, it's another proud parent moment that reminds you about the things you have done right!

My son pitches in little league now, and I love watching (even though you'd generally have to drag me to a major league game).

Enjoy!

Monte
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Way to go Trick.. Tell your son to knock em dead.. well, just strike about 27 out and he's got it... Way to go!!

RexDog1
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Cool

:banana: Congrats………………….. way to go!!!!!!!!!!:banana:
:banana: keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

Kids r fun

RexDog1
02-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Trick good thing he looks like his mom!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme

trickskier
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Trick good thing he looks like his mom!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme
I agree!!!!!

92 190 PS
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Congratulations...My kids are 5 and 2 so I'm just starting down this path...

What I'm pissed about though is that you guys are playing baseball in February and there is a foot of snow on the ground here...

trickskier
02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Congratulations...My kids are 5 and 2 so I'm just starting down this path...

What I'm pissed about though is that you guys are playing baseball in February and there is a foot of snow on the ground here...
It was COLD the last couple of nights here, notice his long sleeves. However, nothing like you're experiencing. Going down to 28 tonight.

Good luck with your kids......My daughter is on the diving team.

Willski
02-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I thought it only got cold in FL when I was there. We may be starting t-ball this summer! 5yr old boy, 3 yr old girl.

Leroy
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Congrats! Good work from the wife with the great coaching skills! It is hard work from all to play at that level!

trickskier
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Cool stuff man, it's another proud parent moment that reminds you about the things you have done right!

My son pitches in little league now, and I love watching (even though you'd generally have to drag me to a major league game).

Enjoy!
Thanks 3event & Monte........I am a very proud father. He currently has a 4.0 grade avarage as well.

Way to go Trick.. Tell your son to knock em dead.. well, just strike about 27 out and he's got it... Way to go!!

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Congratulation the him and your entire family.

trickskier
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Congratulation the him and your entire family.
Thanks Harold, he has really worked hard to get to this level.

atlfootr
02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Awesum job gentlemen, soooooo I'm guess'n there's NOWAY of watersports in the future?

trickskier
02-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Awesum job gentlemen, soooooo I'm guess'n there's NOWAY of watersports in the future?
Thanks Footr..........Yes, he wakeboards.

RexDog1
02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Footr..........Yes, he wakeboards.

Good Boy...........:banana: :banana: :banana: :rolleyes:......lol lol

SkiDog
02-16-2007, 10:37 PM
The pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals, Adam Wainwright, is from here in Brunswick. Great kid! Not only can he throw a 98mph fastball, he can hit a golf ball 12 miles! That last pitch he threw in the last game of the world series, was the DADDY! Made the whole town proud as hell, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I heard today that he is in a big dispute with the catcher who caught that ball. He was supposed to give it back to Adam, but won't. Adam is pi$$ed!

Maristar210
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Trick - Rick

I would not say **** if I had a mouthfull but please tell your son that uncle Steve said to tuck that glove behing your right ear upon delivery, hit yourself in the left chin with your left knee and do not do not do not look away from the target. Your head should be like a rock ---- with a fixed position. A moving head means a moving ball (location) - (location) (location)

Solid head with serious focus = Superior results.....

Learn to throw a splurve. Do not ignore the importance of a slider

He has great form by the way

suedv
02-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Way to go! I love baseball. At his age the games really start getting interesting because they've started to build real skills. Have a fun season!

trickskier
02-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Trick - Rick

I would not say **** if I had a mouthfull but please tell your son that uncle Steve said to tuck that glove behing your right ear upon delivery, hit yourself in the left chin with your left knee and do not do not do not look away from the target. Your head should be like a rock ---- with a fixed position. A moving head means a moving ball (location) - (location) (location)

Solid head with serious focus = Superior results.....

Learn to throw a splurve. Do not ignore the importance of a slider

He has great form by the way
Thanks Steve, I'll pass it along to him. He has a pitching coach that he's been going to once a week for the past 5 years. This coach has won several High School State Championships and now just coaches a few kids on the weekend.

At 14 he has a 75 MPH fastball.

trickskier
02-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Way to go! I love baseball. At his age the games really start getting interesting because they've started to build real skills. Have a fun season!

Thank you Sue. To tell you the truth I was never interested in baseball until he started playing. Puts a whole new perspective on the game when your child is out there. As a parent, I get goose bumps when his name is announced over the PA system. :D

Maristar210
02-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Steve, I'll pass it along to him. He has a pitching coach that he's been going to once a week for the past 5 years. This coach has won several High School State Championships and now just coaches a few kids on the weekend.

At 14 he has a 75 MPH fastball.

He's 14? WOW Trick that is awesome!!!!

trickskier
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
He's 14? WOW Trick that is awesome!!!!
Thanks Steve......OBTW did you see the size of his foot? He wears an 11......:rolleyes:

Maristar210
02-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Steve......OBTW did you see the size of his foot? He wears an 11......:rolleyes:

I wear an 11 and I am 40 so if my math is correct he should settle at about a 34, is that right?

J/K

You are tall as well?

Steve

trickskier
02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I wear an 11 and I am 40 so if my math is correct he should settle at about a 34, is that right?

J/K

You are tall as well?

Steve
No, we're not known for being tall. However, he's 5'10" so I'm hoping he will be the tallest in the family.

suedv
02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Rick coached our son's teams from the time he was in T-Ball through Senior Boys Little League (when Ben decided he liked show skiing better than baseball and couldn't do both). Our most fun year with baseball was when the Senior Boys team took the state championship. They got knocked out of the tournament 3 games away from the Little League World Series.

To this day I get a very happy feeling whenever I drive past the Little League park on a spring evening and see that a game is being played under the lights. I smile when I think about those boys with their big dreams and determination to play well.

Maristar210
02-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Our coaches meeting is next week for Thornapple Little League. This is the first season my ten year old will be in kid pitch league or what us coaches refer to as the "duck league" because when the kid pitches..... you duck lol

www.tvbl.net
Steve

trickskier
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Rick coached our son's teams from the time he was in T-Ball through Senior Boys Little League (when Ben decided he liked show skiing better than baseball and couldn't do both). Our most fun year with baseball was when the Senior Boys team took the state championship. They got knocked out of the tournament 3 games away from the Little League World Series.

To this day I get a very happy feeling whenever I drive past the Little League park on a spring evening and see that a game is being played under the lights. I smile when I think about those boys with their big dreams and determination to play well.
That's wonderful Sue. My wife graduated with a degree in physical education. She is the one responsible for getting our kids active in sports. She, like Rick, coached him until he started playing on travel teams. She and her other coach, coached the All Star Team from our Rec Park 3 years in a row. They finished runner-up one year in the State Championships.

trickskier
02-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Our coaches meeting is next week for Thornapple Little League. This is the first season my ten year old will be in kid pitch league or what us coaches refer to as the "duck league" because when the kid pitches..... you duck lol

www.tvbl.net
Steve
That's funny..............I remember when my son started pitching. I was very nervous. The park had a rule that if a pitcher hit a batter twice he had to be pulled. Luckily, he never hit more than one batter per game. However, he got hit a lot...........

atlfootr
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks Footr..........Yes, he wakeboards.We need to convert him to barefoot'n :D

trickskier
02-17-2007, 03:37 PM
We need to convert him to barefoot'n :D
He's done it off a boom. We need to teach on long line next.

trickskier
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Just a little update from a proud father. My son's JV Baseball Team is a little over half way through their season. So far he is 5-0 as a starting pitcher and 6-0 overall because he came in as a relief pitcher in one game. The team is 10-2 overall

Hey Steve what do you think about his form? He seems to be getting better as the season has progressed................:D

trickskier
03-19-2007, 08:54 PM

trickskier
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM

Maristar210
03-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Whoa!!!!!!

Looking good my friend. Looking real good!!!

What pitches does he throw?

Nice damn field by the way!!

Steve

trickskier
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Whoa!!!!!!

Looking good my friend. Looking real good!!!

What pitches does he throw?

Nice damn field by the way!!

Steve
Fast Ball around 80 MPH, Change-up & Curve Ball. That's not our home field..........Ours is actually nicer and and deeper. Center Field is 380 at our field.

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
We need to convert him to barefoot'n :D

No kidding, the kids a chip off the old clock...you must be proud dad. He looks like a young Don Larsen Clemens....:cool:

trickskier
03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
No kidding, the kids a chip off the old clock...you must be proud dad. He looks like a young Don Larsen Clemens....:cool:
Thanks Slink.........No, he's a much better athlete than I ever thought about being..........I'm just a fat old trickskier............LOL :D

Maristar210
03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Fast Ball around 80 MPH, Change-up & Curve Ball. That's not our home field..........Ours is actually nicer and and deeper. Center Field is 380 at our field.

Sounds good.

One more tip from an idiot (me)

Remind him location is much more important than speed. Lots of guys can throw hard, guys like Greg Maddux can pitch!!!

He already knows this I am sure.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I was just playing catch outside with my 10 year old, its 47 degrees.... brrrrr

trickskier
03-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds good.

One more tip from an idiot (me)

Remind him location is much more important than speed. Lots of guys can throw hard, guys like Greg Maddux can pitch!!!

He already knows this I am sure.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I was just playing catch outside with my 10 year old, its 47 degrees.... brrrrr
His pitching coach has done a great job with him...........47 degrees? Do you miss FLORIDA???

Maristar210
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
His pitching coach has done a great job with him...........47 degrees? Do you miss FLORIDA???

Do I miss Florida?

Is a fat dog heavy?

S

suedv
03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Trickskier,
You've got a lot to be proud of... good record, serious about his game, and he looks like he's really in his element. I like the pictures so thanks for posting them.

I love baseball!

trickskier
03-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Trickskier,
You've got a lot to be proud of... good record, serious about his game, and he looks like he's really in his element. I like the pictures so thanks for posting them.

I love baseball!
Thanks for the kind words Sue,
He's really a GREAT kid, good athlete & student. He made straight A's last semester........He was also the starting tailback on the Freshman Football Team and was voted Offensive MVP by his coaches......:D

dapicatti
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Trickskier
Just caught this thread- missed it earlier. Looks like you have alot to be proud of. He looks so serious- you can tell he just expects to win.
I love watching kids play ball for the love of the sport.

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Your son is looking good there Trick!

suedv
03-20-2007, 01:40 AM
He's really a GREAT kid, good athlete & student. He made straight A's last semester........He was also the starting tailback on the Freshman Football Team and was voted Offensive MVP by his coaches......:D

If he keeps all that up I'm guessing there will be some decent college scholarship money coming his way. :cool:

trickskier
03-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the posts everyone. I'll post more as the season progresses.

atlfootr
03-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Just I have some catching up to do :wavey:

trickskier
03-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Does that mean, I have to start @ the begining :confused:
Yes, you need to read every post..................:D

Faded & X9-Rated
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
My son started playing T-Ball when he was old enough. My wife was one of the coaches. He has played Rec Ball for years. This year we transferred him to a school that has one of the best Baseball programs in North Florida. More than 60 kids tried out for 44 positions. He made the cut and last night he was the starting pitcher on the JV team. They won 11-1.....:D

I was just browsing through... & read this post.. That's my High School!! Yeah, we were always great in baseball! They won the State Championship my junior year!

Good stuff! I wish your son well. GO BK!

Archimedes
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Good stuff!

I threw 6 innings for my son's Pinto 2 team on Saturday. The little bastards knocked me around for 30 runs. :D

trickskier
03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I was just browsing through... & read this post.. That's my High School!! Yeah, we were always great in baseball! They won the State Championship my junior year!

Good stuff! I wish your son well. GO BK!

He's supposed to be the starting pitcher against Bolles next Tuesday night. You should come out if you have the time. The game will be at Bolles.

trickskier
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later.......My son lost his first game as a starter last night......He was pretty depressed after the game because this was the school he attended last year, he and really wanted to do well in front of his old teammates and coaches. He was doing fine until 2 infield errors with 2 outs cost his team 2 runs. So he ended the up with a 5-1 record as a starter and 6-1 overall on the JV Team.

The GOOD NEWS is that he has done so well, his coaches are moving him up to the Varsity Team to finish out the year. I don't think he'll get a lot of playing time on the Varsity Team, but he's excited that they're giving him a chance to move up.

Here's a couple of pics from last nights game.

trickskier
04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
One More............

Monte
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Hate to hear about the loss, But you have to loose to to truly enjoy winning.. Hey he's doing 100% better than 99% of the boys in his age group!!

trickskier
04-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Hate to hear about the loss, But you have to loose to to truly enjoy winning.. Hey he's doing 100% better than 99% of the boys in his age group!!
I would have to agree with you on that Monte...............:D

suedv
05-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Haven't heard any baseball updates lately. Is the season done? How did he like the varsity team?

trickskier
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Haven't heard any baseball updates lately. Is the season done? How did he like the varsity team?
Hey Sue,
Baseball season is over. They ended up as district champs then lost their first game in the regionals.........He did not get to play on the Varsity team, however he said the coaches taught him a lot while he was there.........

He just finished spring football practice last week and is supposed to play some summer league baseball......

Thanks for asking!

suedv
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Trick, is your son getting ready for baseball again this year?

trickskier
05-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Just an update.............We are in Sarasota today. My son's High School team is playing for the 4-A State Championship this afternoon. They won yesterday 4-2.

Monte
05-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Go git em Trick Jr...

TMCNo1
05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Tell Chris congrats for Lynn and I! Kick their butts! Will the trophy fit in the bed of the new truck?

ShamrockIV
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
go little tricky!!!!!!!

he going to FSU too?????

send him to UT we play some ball up this way!!!!!!

trickskier
05-17-2008, 02:41 PM
go little tricky!!!!!!!

he going to FSU too?????

send him to UT we play some ball up this way!!!!!!

He's a lot taller than I am..........................:D

As long as he gets to play college ball...............I'll be happy :D whever he plays.............:rolleyes:

Off to the stadium......................GO BK!!!

Maristar210
05-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Kick some as s Tricky

RexDog1
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Just an update.............We are in Sarasota today. My son's High School team is playing for the 4-A State Championship this afternoon. They won yesterday 4-2.

NICE JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Congrats:headbang:

trickskier
05-17-2008, 07:53 PM
They WON!!!..........................:D
9-3!!!
BISHOP KENNY 4-A STATE CHAMPIONS!!!

Willski
05-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Congrats!!!!

trickskier
05-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Crusaders march to 4A state crown

Opportunistic BK takes an early four-run lead, then cruises to a victory.

By Hays Carlyon, The Times-Union

SARASOTA - Bishop Kenny and Fort Myers Riverdale both made errors in the first inning. Riverdale failed to score. BK took full advantage.
Its reward? The Class 4A baseball state championship.

The Crusaders used a four-run first inning to defeat the Raiders 9-3 on Saturday night at Ed Smith Stadium to claim their second state title in the last seven years.

"This is a great feeling," BK coach Tommy Edwards said. "To see all the hard work pay off for these guys and the commitment and desire they had. This is the ultimate goal for these guys to accomplish."

The Crusaders finished their championship season at 28-4. Riverdale ended up 26-8.

"Bishop Kenny had some really timely hits and played well all day," Raiders coach Bobby Pringle said. "I think we got overanxious at the plate as the game wore on."

The game was delayed for 18 minutes in the bottom of the second inning after a fire alarm went off. Maybe BK's offense was the culprit. The Crusaders finished the game with 11 hits.

"Our offense is very capable," Edwards said. "They've been putting up big numbers across the board all season. It seems like we'll have a couple of guys get a big hit, and before you know it, it goes right down the line."

BK leadoff hitter Ben Gamel reached on an error in the first, and the Crusaders loaded the bases after Lou Amargo singled and Ken Stalls was hit by a pitch. Kurtis Mullaney capitalized for BK, slapping a single that drove in two runs. The next batter, Jimmy Howick, delivered a two-run single that gave the Crusaders a 4-0 lead.

Howick, a senior shortstop, finished with three RBI.

"That was a good inning for us," Gamel said. "It helped our confidence a lot."

Riverdale answered with three runs in the second inning, but BK broke out again in the third. Gamel's RBI double highlighted another four-run rally for the Crusaders.

Amargo, a senior second baseman, drilled a solo homer over the left-field wall to put the finishing touches on the Crusaders' championship rout. Not bad for a guy's final high school at-bat.

"That was awesome to see for Lou," Edwards said. "He's a hard worker who loves the game. To see that ball leave the yard was huge."

The run support was more than enough for BK starter Weston Hoekel. The sophomore went the distance and grew stronger as the game progressed.

Hoekel (9-1) recorded all seven of his strikeouts after the third inning. He allowed six hits and walked two, throwing 99 pitches (64 strikes).

"All my pitches were good, I thought," Hoekel said. "I messed up a little bit in the second inning."

BK joined Providence (Class 2A) as area teams to claim baseball state titles this season. Eagle's View and Keystone Heights have a chance to make the championship club a quartet, which would set a single-season record for the First Coast.

The Warriors play in the Class A state semifinals Monday, the same day that Keystone Heights will compete in the 3A semis.

"There's good baseball in the area," Edwards said. "We played Eagle's View and Providence. You don't have to go far to schedule tough games."

Monte
05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
WAY TO GO:cool:

suedv
05-19-2008, 10:36 PM
So Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chudson
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
That's great news, congratulations Dad and tell your son congratulations too!!!

wakeX2wake
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
awesome and congratulations... now you can spend more time on the water

trickskier
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
awesome and congratulations... now you can spend more time on the water
Thanks Everyone!!! It was an awesome experience to see those kids smiling when they got back to the hotel................:D

We have a house rented on Kingsley Lake in a couple of weeks!!! :D