PDA

View Full Version : PRK Eye Surgery

Andyg
02-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Well I just got home from having my eyes fixed. It is amazing it has been about an hour and a half since the surgery and I feel great and I can see awesome. They want me to sleep for a couple of hours. After two vicadin I am still all wound up about how well it went and can't sleep.

The procedure I had is PRK so they brush the surface of the cornea instead of cutting a flap like in Lasik. The problem with PRK is supposedly feels like someone took sand paper to your eye and it lasts for about two days. So far though they feel fine. They had to do PRK because my cornea thickness was too thin.

I can't wait till ski season hits now. I didn't learn to ski until after I got glasses or contacts. I started skiing with contacts which isn't too bad, but I have probably lost 5 or 6 contacts over the years from crashing.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
andy, shut up and go to sleep already!:rolleyes:

JK! Hey congrats on the new eyes pal! :D

pram
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I had the PRK done on Dec 27/06. I like you was so excited to have it done. I never had any of the discomfort that they talked about. I actually drove home the next day (4 hours or so). I love to wake up and be able to see now. I opened my eyes underwater at the pool the other day for the first time since I can't remember when.

Congrats and good luck with the recovery.

(the drops taste really really good eh)

02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
(the drops taste really really good eh) alright! spill it! what do yoos guys know that we dont? you takin some funky psychedelic drugs or somthin?

Andyg
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Ya those antibiotic/halucigenic eye drops are awesome. I tried sleeping for the past hour and a half and of course couldn't. I do notice now that one eye seems about perfect while the other eye is a little foggy. They mentioned the foggyness would go away, hopefully sooner than later.

02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Heeeeeeeyyyyyyyy AAAAAAANNNNDDDDYYYYY!!!!!! CCCCCHHHHHEEEEECCCCKKKKK IIIITTTTTT OOOOOUUUUUTTTTTT........

RRRRRRRiiiiiiiiddddddddeeeee TtTTTTThhhhhhheeeeee SSSSSSNNNNNNAAAAAKKKKKEEEE!!!!

http://hem.passagen.se/speed/art/flum.jpg

02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Andyyyyyyyy.......Theeeeee Bluuuuuuuue Bussssss Isssss Calllingggggggg Usssssss

http://www.visualbliss.co.uk/themes/images/psychedelic/BIG%20SWIRL%20+dancer%20(39-2).jpg

pram
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
UMP UMP UMP are you having a 60's flashback??????

Wait ya ain't that old

It would have to be an 90's flashback

pram
02-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Son put down the pipe and slowly back up

02-16-2007, 09:57 PM
UMP UMP UMP are you having a 60's flashback??????

Wait ya ain't that old

It would have to be an 90's flashback
Its OK Pram, I am not having an enbacko deflasho! I am puttin Andy on a trip!

Leroy
02-16-2007, 10:59 PM
This all sounds so good to someone with 5.5 lens power needed. I see nothing without my contacts and have been through the early 40's change.

tex
02-16-2007, 11:03 PM
After mine...took the vics and had a beer...climbed on the couch and slept great...woke up and could see great!

Andyg
02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
This all sounds so good to someone with 5.5 lens power needed. I see nothing without my contacts and have been through the early 40's change.

I was at 3.5 nearsighted before the surgery. Basically I could only read the big E on the eye chart.

I have some minor pain in one eye still, but the other eye is fine. It is odd that I only have pain in the one eye when I put in the eye drops.

pram
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey how are the eyes doing? I had my 9 week checkup today and it is still going great.

Andyg
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I had a minor setback in the right eye. I was experiencing some intense pain on and off starting about 24 hours after surgery, Sat. afternoon after my one day post op visit. It was getting worse and more intense as the weekend went on. On Monday I called and was able to get in to see the doctor that day. The protective bandange contact in my right eye had a tear in it. It caused the right eye cornea not to heal as fast because it was constantly irritating the cornea. My left cornea was about 80% healed on Monday, but the right was only about 20% healed. My left eye is probably around 20/40 at this point and my right eye is probably around 20/200. I have another follow up visit on Friday so hopefully things will be better by then.

h20_skidog
02-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Bet were you glad to get into the doc's office on the same day you called! Hope that your eyes get better soon Andy!
My wife wears contacts and I wish I could help her decide to get some type of surgery performed, Lasik or PRK. Got any ideas?

Andyg
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
h2o_skidog,
It was the biggest relief getting that torn contact out. I don't know if you have ever experienced the pain of a torn contact, but having one in my eye for 2 days was ridiculously painful.

I can't wait till I can see normal again as it has been going on about a week with crappy vision. At this point I don't know if I would recommend anyone to get the PRK if they could avoid it. If PRK is the only option I would just make sure you have at least a week set aside to do a lot of nothing.

I did not have a choice in doing Lasik. I had to have PRK due to the thickness of the cornea, mine is too thin for Lasik. The immediate results with Lasik would have been nice.

My wife is gettting Lasik done sometime in the near future. She has one eye that is perfect and one I that is -2.25. She always had perfect vision until about 3 years ago so for her it is a no brainer. She hates glasses and hasn't tried contacts yet.

How long has your wife been wearing contacts? I know I can't remember what it was like to be able to see without the assistance of contacts or glasses. I can't wait till the vision stabilizes so I can experience it again.

h20_skidog
02-22-2007, 02:58 PM
How long has your wife been wearing contacts? I know I can't remember what it was like to be able to see without the assistance of contacts or glasses. I can't wait till the vision stabilizes so I can experience it again.Since she was 14 yrs. old, so about 22 years now! Her eyes are at -6.0 combined with bad stigmatism (blurry images). I've heard that at -9 or -10 is considered legally blind. She would like to be w/o contacts and glasses, but it just scares the he!! out of her to think of someone doing surgery on her eyes! :eek:

Andyg
02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Well it is day 8 since I had the PRK surgery and my right eye is finally coming around. The vision in the right eye is still blurry but is finally starting to clear up. When I saw the eye doc yesterday he said my right eye was 80% healed and that the vision should get better in the next few days. I can't wait till both eyes are about the same. Right now it is like I am wearing a contact in my left eye and nothing in my right eye.

pram
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey how are the eyes doing?

Andyg
03-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey how are the eyes doing?

It took a while, but they are finally coming around. I had an eye appointment yesterday. My right eye, the one I had problems with was 20/20 and the left eye is 20/40. The doc thinks both eyes will be 20/20 when I come back to see him in a couple of months. The only problem I have now is that the vision tends to fluctuate a lot through out the day. The more time I spend on the compute the worse it gets. I guess I should get off the internet and get some work done!

pram
03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
That is one of the things that I find as well that my vision will fluctuate throughout the day. Glad to hear that it is going alot better for you.

Although it takes longer with the PRK one of the upsides is that you don't have to worry about water hitting your eye and causing the flap to come up when you take a bad spill;)

Paul

It took a while, but they are finally coming around. I had an eye appointment yesterday. My right eye, the one I had problems with was 20/20 and the left eye is 20/40. The doc thinks both eyes will be 20/20 when I come back to see him in a couple of months. The only problem I have now is that the vision tends to fluctuate a lot through out the day. The more time I spend on the compute the worse it gets. I guess I should get off the internet and get some work done!