PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating vs. painting

lawless1
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Need to redo the trailer on my recent purchase (MS 210 VRS with single axle trailer). There is a lot of rust so I'm having it sand blasted, neutralized, and then either painted (industrial) or powder coated. I have heard that powder coating is better, but is it worth the extra money. Plus I have to go out of town to have the powder coating done.

TMCNo1
02-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Actually, by the time a professional painter does it right, by grinding, cleans up the metal, primes, sands, and paints with a quality automotive paint, the cost difference is not any different and powder coating may actually be cheaper. Do some comparison shopping in your area. You may be surprised. Inform us of your findings.

shepherd
02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I paid $250 to powdercoat my trailer. That was around the same price I was quoted to paint it. Sandblasting cost another $240 or so... Best thing to do is to get quotes and compare prices. Even if powdercoating is a little more expensive, I'd probably pay the extra few dollars to do it. The only problem is that they won't be able to powdercoat your fenders, so you'll have to get them painted separately if they are in rough shape too.

TMCNo1
02-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I paid $250 to powdercoat my trailer. That was around the same price I was quoted to paint it. Sandblasting cost another $240 or so... Best thing to do is to get quotes and compare prices. Even if powdercoating is a little more expensive, I'd probably pay the extra few dollars to do it. The only problem is that they won't be able to powdercoat your fenders, so you'll have to get them painted separately if they are in rough shape too.

Sounds logical, in 1997 I paid $75 to get it sandblasted and $550 to get it bondoed, cleaned up, primed and painted with PPG Urethane Enamel, Single color application, not basecoat/clearcoat. 6 MONTHS LATER A FRIEND HAD A TANDOM AXLE MARISTAR 210 TRAILER SANDBLASTED AND POWDERCOATED FOR $475. Tells me I paid too much to have it painted!

shepherd
02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I believe bbeach said he got his blasted and powdercoated for a little over $400 total. Can't imagine painting would be much, if any, cheaper than that.

bbeach
02-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Yep $400 for sandblasting and powdercoating... I will note however that I took the trailer to them prepped... They didn't have to do anything except remove the tires... So if there is a lot of prep work it could cost more... I painted my fenders with a gloss black + a hardener, but overall the powdercoat is much more durable!

Workin' 4 Toys
02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
bbeach, did you do all the masking too?

stevo137
02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Did someone mention POWDER COATING?!> ;)

Your quotes sound almost too good to be true so I would ask a few questions.

(1) It is crucial that the blasting be done properly or you will have delamination in no time. They need to make sure that ALL of the old coating is totally removed from every spot and also that there is no dust or dirt remaining on the substrate prior to coating.

(2) Which chemistry? It needs to be either polyester or urethane as hybrids and epoxies are not weatherable. Urethanes are smoother and about the same exterior durability as polyesters but might have a cure issue with this type of application as they need to see the higher temps more quickly to cure properly.
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND A SUPER DURABLE OR PREMIUM WEATHERING POLYESTER DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY WILL RESIST FADING FOR A MUCH LONGER PERIOD OF TIME. Most of the large machinery manufacturers (Cat, John Deere, Case New Holland, etc.) use these.

(3) Who is removing all of the components that cannot withstand 400-450 degrees for 40 minutes to an hour?
IT COULD TAKE UP TO AN HOUR TO GET A FULL CURE AND IT IS ALSO CRUCIAL THAT FULL CURE IS ACHIEVED. Most powders cure at 400 degrees for 10 minutes however keep in mind that means that the actual metal temp needs to be at 400 for 10 minutes. It may take 20 to 30 minutes just to get up to temp depending on how good the oven is and the thickness of the steel. There are also low cure formulations that can be used however they probably wouldn't be the best for this application.
Obviously you can tell that I feel that powder is the way to go if it is done properly and I have said before that MC should move in the direction of powder coating their trailers...

lawless1
02-16-2007, 01:05 PM
The two shops that I am looking at haven't seen the trailer yet, but are quoting much higher for painting and powder coating - $750 and $1000 respectively. This includes prep work, sandblasting, neutralizing, and undercoating. Both involve baking but powder coating is done at extreme temps that will melt my wiring. The powder coat shop suggested leaving the wiring in and once the project is done you use the old wiring to pull through the new wiring.

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM
The two shops that I am looking at haven't seen the trailer yet, but are quoting much higher for painting and powder coating - $750 and $1000 respectively. This includes prep work, sandblasting, neutralizing, and undercoating. Both involve baking but powder coating is done at extreme temps that will melt my wiring. The powder coat shop suggested leaving the wiring in and once the project is done you use the old wiring to pull through the new wiring.

Why undercoating?
Paint baking is usually around 140 +/- degrees + a time period and will do no damage to cars, trucks, etc. or the trailer. Powdercoating is in excess of 350 degrees to melt the powder into a syrup to adhere to the metal and to create gloss and set/cure the plastic like material. Keeping the old wiring in to use to pull the new wiring in is a good idea. Please shop around, use pictures, as I don't think these guys are the only ball game in town.

shepherd
02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I got a quote for around $1,000 from an out-of-town shop (100 miles away) to blast and powdercoat my trailer. They didn't see my trailer either. I only called them because they were the only guys listed in the yellow pages.

Luckily, I found the local shops I used which together charged less than $500 total.

So, shop around. You may find a better deal.

lawless1
02-16-2007, 03:37 PM
I could have misspoken on the "undercoating" - not a painter. Thanks for the input.

Not a lot of options where the boat & trailer is right now, but will look at pushing back on pricing. There is a lot of rust on the trailer that needs addressing.

stevo137
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Lawless, what color is your trailer?

There aren't many job shops in any given area that have a booth and batch oven that will accomodate this size part so you might not have many options or leverage regarding price.

Also, have they given you a breakdown of cost?

lawless1
02-16-2007, 04:47 PM
It is white (and rust :) ) colored.

Waterskibum
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Guess I need to ask more questions of the powdercoater i was going to use too, as they quoted $350 for sand blast and powdercoat if the trailer is completely stripped and they just have to remove the wheels.
Dave

stevo137
02-16-2007, 06:21 PM
It is white (and rust :) ) colored.

No problem. I white high gloss polyester is not very expensive and also easy to match.

shepherd
02-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Guess I need to ask more questions of the powdercoater i was going to use too, as they quoted $350 for sand blast and powdercoat if the trailer is completely stripped and they just have to remove the wheels.
Dave

That's what I did. Stripped everything off except the wheels so I could tow it to the shop.

X-45
02-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Uhhhhh not me :D , but for all the people out there that don't know what neutralizing is could you please explain :confused: .

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Uhhhhh not me :D , but for all the people out there that don't know what neutralizing is could you please explain :confused: .

Once the trailer has been sandblasted, and set up for refinishing it is blown down with clean air to remove all left behind debris, and is either wiped down with a preparatory solvent or metal etch to remove all hand prints, oils etc. then tack ragged to remove any dust, then primed and painted or powdercoated.

moabtj
02-18-2007, 08:58 AM

Why did you remove the fenders?

TMCNo1
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Why did you remove the fenders?

YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE FENDERS!
Powdercoting only works on materials that can conduct electricity. The part is + charged and the powder is a - charge and when the powder is sprayed it is attracted to the part and sticks to the entire part including every nook and cranny and when baked, the powder turns to a gel that then encapsulates the entire part and seals it from the elements. Fiberglass is non metalic, therefore won't conduct electricity and the baking heat would probably damage the fiberglass and gelcoat. That is why they then have to be painted with conventional automotive refinishing products or re-gelcoated.

rstitson
02-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Little bit of a thread jack but.... the last boat I had was 1/4 the cost of the mastercraft we bought and it came with a galvanized trailer. Why does'nt mastercraft use galvanized?? Galvanized can even be painte if need be.

TMCNo1
02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Little bit of a thread jack but.... the last boat I had was 1/4 the cost of the mastercraft we bought and it came with a galvanized trailer. Why does'nt mastercraft use galvanized?? Galvanized can even be painte if need be.

It is a option and has been a option for over 20 years and galvanized can be painted, but paint doesn't adhere too well. Why paint it? A lot of trailer maufacturere build their trailers from galvanized materials and assemble them and touch them up with (?)galvanized spray paint after all the bolting and welding is complete, MC builds the trailers from the same materials as the painted trailers and sends them off to be galvanized (dipped) after the assembly (welding) is complete.

JohnE
02-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Can anyone answer if and how powdercoating can be touched up? I was thinking that one advantage of paint is that in the future, touch up's are faily easy. I don't know enough about powdercoating, so I'm asking.

TMCNo1
02-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Can anyone answer if and how powdercoating can be touched up? I was thinking that one advantage of paint is that in the future, touch up's are faily easy. I don't know enough about powdercoating, so I'm asking.

Most all powdercoaters have color charts for corresponding paint colors, that customers choose their powdercoating colors from, especially when trying to match the existing paint color on a trailer or trying to match other colors like their tow vehicle. Getting a corresponding paint color, will allow you to the go to a automotive paint store and get a pint or quart of paint to touch up using a small brush, just like paint touch up. Hope that helps.

JohnE
02-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Most all powdercoaters have color charts for corresponding paint colors, that customers choose their powdercoating colors from, especially when trying to match the existing paint color on a trailer or trying to match other colors like their tow vehicle. Getting a corresponding paint color, will allow you to the go to a automotive paint store and get a pint or quart of paint to touch up using a small brush, just like paint touch up. Hope that helps.

It does help. And makes sense. Thanks.