PDA

View Full Version : Cover Cleaning

Gixxer
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Got my 197 a few months ago and the cover has the general outside filth and mildew on it.:cool: Its a MC snap on cover in lite gray. Is there anyway to make this thing look new again.

Jkelly
02-15-2007, 08:55 AM
303 Makes a cleaner that I used on mine, but I could not tell much of a difference because mine was so sun faded. I ordered a new one the other day hope it gets here soon.
If you have a flat place to lay it, like on a driveway or some thing, Simple Green with a scrub brush might work.

TMCNo1
02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
303 Makes a cleaner that I used on mine, but I could not tell much of a difference because mine was so sun faded. I ordered a new one the other day hope it gets here soon.
If you have a flat place to lay it, like on a driveway or some thing, Simple Green with a scrub brush might work.

Several persons have commented in the past that they take their cover to a coin laundry and use the large commercial washing machine to launder with soap and a little bleach (to remove mildew), then dry in a coin dryer, if large enough, then retreat with a water proofing/resistant product like 303 Fabric Guard, Camp Dry, etc. after it has dried. I have done it and it works quite well.

Gixxer
02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I had thought of the washing machine idea before.... might have to find a local Laundrymat up to the task. Anyone else have success with this method?

beef
02-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Yep. I've done this before, too. Use a mild soap (Woolite, or a store brand) and find a nice big commercial machine. I did NOT dry in a machine, though - I just put it back on the boat to dry in place. Then, re-treat with 303 fabric guard. Works great.

TMCNo1
02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Several persons have commented in the past that they take their cover to a coin laundry and use the large commercial washing machine to launder with soap and a little bleach (to remove mildew), then dry in a coin dryer, if large enough, then retreat with a water proofing/resistant product like 303 Fabric Guard, Scotch Guard, Camp Dry, etc. after it has dried. I have done it and it works quite well.

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Sodar
02-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Yep. I've done this before, too. Use a mild soap (Woolite, or a store brand) and find a nice big commercial machine. I did NOT dry in a machine, though - I just put it back on the boat to dry in place. Then, re-treat with 303 fabric guard. Works great.

I agree, DO NOT dry in a machine.... I made this mistake with my black cover for my Boston Whaler, and what happens is that as the cover is tumbling, the drum of the dryer rubs the cover and creates a tie-died type pattern on your cover. It is just a lot easier on the cover to let it dry naturally...

Washing it in a commercial machine works GREAT however and when 303 Fabric guard is sparyed, it brings the cover back to new!

east tx skier
02-15-2007, 10:19 AM
The next time I do it, I'm using the big washer. In a pinch, you can lay it out and hit it with a pressure washer on a low setting and it'll do the trick.

On the 303 fabric guard, do not put that stuff on while the cover is on the boat. You don't want it on the gel coat or vinyl or anything else you hold dear other than your cover. Also, remember 303 Fabric Guard is the one with the green label. 303 Aerospace protectant has the blue lable. You want the fabric guard.

shepherd
02-15-2007, 08:14 PM
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

LoL. :uglyhamme Kids these days, no respect for their elders, hey #1?

TMCNo1
02-15-2007, 08:18 PM
LoL. :uglyhamme Kids these days, no respect for their elders, hey #1?

We won't go there!:D I try to read the previous posts that quite possibly include the answer to the question I am about to ask! Oh well, I went there anyway.

Gixxer
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the way to go guys. Might be a little cold for hangin the cover outside so might have to wait a month or so for this! Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the Tips EastTx ill keep that in mind when sprayin it down.

As for TM1 and Shep: Im pretty new to this site and dont understand why you guys have to be rude. It deff discourages me from asking another.... Thanks.

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Sounds like the way to go guys. Might be a little cold for hangin the cover outside so might have to wait a month or so for this! Thanks everyone.

As for TM1 and Shep: Im pretty new to this site and dont understand why you guys have to be rude. It deff discourages me from asking another.... Thanks.

No offense intended, just carrying on, and politely offering some advise that may be of help in the future. Relax, it's just Team Talk and we all are a little touched, this is not the boardroom of the Apprentice and the trUMP will not fire anyone yet or make anyone sleep in a tent outside the mansion!

ETS (Doug), could we include, if not previously included, the previous threads concerning Cover Cleaning/Waterproofing along with this one in the FAQ, "Frequently Asked Questions" for our members and guests to reference?

Gixxer
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Next week will be in the mid 60's so I might give it a go. First step will be to find a respectable coin laundry in the area, Second step is arranging supervision from the little lady so I dont eff this up. (Washing machines are not my forte') Ill Post up some before and after pics.

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Next week will be in the mid 60's so I might give it a go. Ill Post up some before and after pics.

Please do, thanks.

Harvey
02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I can recommend the pressure washer on low. I layed the cover out upside down on the driveway sprinkled tide over it and wet it with the hose, then I took a scrub brush and scrubbed the entire cover, once finished soaping it up I took the pressure washer and started to rinse it clean from the top of the driveway down. Once I was finished I flipped it over and repeated. Then I flipped the cover over to dry the underside. Once it was dry enough on the underside I put it on the boat to dry it out completely. This was in the middle of the summer in Texas and it took a full 24 hours to dry completely. Once done it looked like a new cover.

Monte
02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree, DO NOT dry in a machine.... I made this mistake with my black cover for my Boston Whaler, and what happens is that as the cover is tumbling, the drum of the dryer rubs the cover and creates a tie-died type pattern on your cover. It is just a lot easier on the cover to let it dry naturally...

Washing it in a commercial machine works GREAT however and when 303 Fabric guard is sparyed, it brings the cover back to new!

Suuuuuuuuuuure. Ya dang Hippie:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Suuuuuuuuuuure. Ya dang Hippie:uglyhamme

I'm a flower child myself, bloomin' idiot, stuck in the 60's!

shepherd
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM

Sorry, no offense was meant. I was just being a smartass I guess. Dont let us discourage you from asking questions. There's a wealth of information available to you here, especially from TMCNo1.

BTW, welcome to the board Gixxer. I look forward to your contributions.

Monte
02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm a flower child myself, bloomin' idiot, stuck in the 60's!

I will be ok with that as long as you do not own a peter paul and mary album!!!8p

JohnE
02-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Gixxer,

When reading this thread, I didn't think they were addressing you. And regardless of who it was adressed to, it was definitely in lighthearted jest. No malice, as they've responded.

Definitely do not hesitate to post questions. For every one that's posted by anyone, I learn something. Like this thread. I'll remember it when the need arises.

I've never had anyone give me a hard time here. I've learned a ton. Well, maybe one poster gave me a hard time recently.:D

Good to have you on the forum.

John

milkmania
02-25-2007, 02:27 PM
took my cover down to the laundry mat, put it in one of those commercial washers, overdosed it with oxy-clean......

looks good as new!