PDA

View Full Version : Hooking IPOD to factory Clarion Stereo??

prostar205
01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
I got an IPOD for X-mas (along with a 2002 X30) and now I am wondering how to hook up my IPOD to the factory head unit - besides using an FM Modulator or Cassette Adaptor. Can the IPOD be hardwired thru the back of the head unit? Are there any audio input jacks on the rear of the stereo?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

G-man
01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
go to the dark side, planetnautique.com do a search on their forum and you should find out what is needed for a XMD2 clarion sorry I have a XMD3 and didn't book mark it

east tx skier
01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
PS205, this topic was discussed here a couple of weeks ago. The short answer, if I remember correctly, is that you should be able to plug into the stereo.

I didn't realize the X-30 was offered as an accessory to the I-pod.

prostar205
01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
East Tx Skier -

I will do a search for IPOD on this site.

Yes, the free X30 with the purchase of an IPOD was only available for a few minutes. It was a great deal but only available up here in Seattle. The IPOD and boat are even color matched - both are white.

G-man
01-11-2005, 05:14 PM
xmd3 you can plug into 2-rca's The xmd2 you need a special plug and you do jump some wires, that is why I defered to the dark side. They have a nice wiring diagram

link:http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1696

prostar205
01-11-2005, 05:18 PM
George -

I assume (you know what that means) that the 2002 boats have the XMD2? Therefore, I will have to do some wiring. Can you give me the exact thread at www.plantnautique.com that spells out the wiring mods?

Thanks.

prostar205
01-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Sorry, my bad.

I did not see the link at the bottom of your message.

G-man
01-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Thats ok I assumed you had a XMD2 which I assume is the same plug as the XMD1 I beleive after you look at the diiferent post you have it figured out. There I go assuming again. lets know how it works out.

prostar205
01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I probably have the XMD2. I just got done reviewing the thread on this subject over at www.plantnautique.com. It is very informative. I will definately be building me a wiring harness. I work for a military electronics firm so it should not be too difficult.

rodltg2
01-11-2005, 05:58 PM
does going through the fm modulator sound bad? is that why it is preferred to hard wire it?

prostar205
01-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I have not tried the FM Modulator in my boat yet. I have tried it in my Expedition and it sounds OK. I have heard that IPODs really sound great when they are hardwired.

lakes Rick
01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Prostar, Hey a Seattle guy.... I purchased my Maristar from a lady ( divorcing) in Kirkland and tried it out in Lake Washington.. I saw Gates house, but the "tudor" next to his was really nice..

And yes, I did take her out at a later date.. She was WAY out of my league.. When she told me her property taxes were over $10,000 a year I just left out the back door...... Neat lady though.....

JimN
01-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Rick- you weenie! You mean you can't be rented with the kind of money she has? It doesn't need to last forever, just till you aren't having a good time.

crdickey
01-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I have not tried the FM Modulator in my boat yet. I have tried it in my Expedition and it sounds OK. I have heard that IPODs really sound great when they are hardwired.

If you were trying to connect it to your home or car stereo the direct wiring improved sound quality might be a consideration, but the accoustics are so bad in and open boat I doubt very seriuosly if you could tell the difference.

Buy the modulator from Best Buy or some place like that so you can take it back in a couple days if you don't like it.

Keep in mind, a lot of the XM and Sirius units are FM modulated and they soud great.

dsoby
01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I played with modulators all summer last year and never found one that sounded decent. I ran across the hard wire thread on planet nautique several months ago and decided to give that a try. I ordered the plug from the link on the thread and picked up the rest of the parts from Radio Shack. I works GREAT. The only difficult part of the whole project was soldering the wires on the back of the DIN plug. There are 13 pins and are very close together. I mounted a female earphone jack along with an on/off switch on the underside of my side panel just under the instrument panel so they will not be seen and stay dry. You just use a patch cord to connect the Ipod and flip the switch and you instantly have all of your tunes on your boat and no static or fidelity issues associated with the modulators.

prostar205
01-12-2005, 11:39 AM
So the patch cord has male ends on both sides, correct? One going into the headphone jack at the top of the IPOD and the other end going into the wiring harness that you made? Why couldn't you use a male headphone jack end on the wiring harness and simply plug that directly into the IPOD?

dsoby
01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
That is correct, Tom. You could do it the way you mentioned and, in fact, the guy on the Nautique site did.I just felt that the way that I did would be a little cleaner. I didn't really want a wiring harness sticking out somewhere and people always asking what it was for.

OhioProstar
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
I bought a XMD3 last year with the AUX inputs and was thinking of buying a iPod and installing a right and left RCA jack near the drivers seat. Maybe use some velco to hold the unit in place under the dash?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-278

I think the upgraded systems on Nautiques have been including something similar:

dsoby
01-13-2005, 03:42 PM
That would work, Ohio. But you stilll need a patch cord to connect to the Ipod. Installing a female mini earphone jack would serve the same purpose and would only require one hole vs. two for the RCA jacks. If you go with the RCA jacks, you can connect the Ipod through an adapter cord (RCA-mini earphone). Electronic stores sell these in their computer section. If you go the mini earphone route, Radio Shack sells the female jack and patch cord.

Ric
01-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Here is the exact hookup for ipod to clarion
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=528

found this for a chevy pickup and you may be able to search this site for something to match up to your particular head unit

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=347

Andyg
01-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Does the XMD2 have a CNET connection on the back of it? I know it has a round 13 pin DIN on the back, but I don't know about the CNET connection.

prostar205
01-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, I'm completely stupid when it comes to this stuff.

What is a CNET connection?

Ric
01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I dont know and I cannot go to the garage and look because I dont have a boat
maybe I will buy tool's boat

G-man
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I don't think that will work with a XMD2 The way to tell would be to look at the connector on the radio is it a 13 pin round or the square connector.

Andyg
01-13-2005, 05:26 PM
A CNET is the square plug that Clarion uses now. The older stereos used the 13 pin DIN.

André
01-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I dont know and I cannot go to the garage and look because I dont have a boat
maybe I will buy tool's boat

You should buy one of those nice red 05 197... :toast:
Any news?

Ric
01-14-2005, 10:39 AM
You should buy one of those nice red 05 197... :toast:
Any news?
Didn't mean to hijack but the news is, I STILL don't have it.
I blew a gasket with the salesman Tuesday. I think he get's where I am coming from since, prior to our "conversation", he obviously had not! I am guessing another couple of WEEKS before I have my new boat.
I have plenty of theories as to why it all went wrong and if it's all 100% resolved prior to my pickup up the boat, then those theories are moot.

What will always matter is that my boat would be tucked away nice & warm in my garage now had they done their part. AND the whole experience is soured. I don't think that sour taste will go away for quite some time.

TTAdmin
01-17-2005, 01:10 PM
If you don't want to go the "hardwire" route as described before you can use an FM modulator. There is a cradle that the ipod or ipod mini sits in that hooks into a 12v cig. lighter jack. You then specify and FM frequency and it will broadcast your ipod over it. The kit comes with extension arms and even a setup to mount the unit to a dash.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1072287118476&skuId=6285423&type=product

I just got this a few days ago and am very happy with it. Not only can I use it on the boat but I can just plug it into my truck as well. No wiring to mess with and it gives the ipod a nice place to sit. I was skeptical about the sound quality at first but have been more than impressed with the unit. It transmits the signal is stereo sound and I cannot tell a difference in quality.

The only drawback is if you have a strong antenae for your radio. You can set whatever frequency but if there is any signal on that FM channel you can get a little bit of distortion when you turn up the volume really loud. I usually "jam" pretty lound but on normal listening volumes you don't hear it. The antenae on my Avalanche picks something up on almost every FM channel so I have to switch from time to time. I'm not too worried about this on my boat because I have a hard time picking up local stations on my lake.

tph
01-17-2005, 02:33 PM
The itrip can work well also. No cradle or charging, but very portable.

dwe
01-17-2005, 11:31 PM
What about an earphone jack to rca jack connector? I plug in the earphone jack to my mac (itunes), and then plug the rca's into a bose radio. Most car stereo's have rca inputs, so I would think it would work.