PDA

View Full Version : The new Lake Cumberland

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Found a aerial video of the new lower levels of the lake. Kind of depressing, but still over 35,000 acres of the wet stuff. A lot of the coves are gone, but on the bright side, there is a lot more usable shore line. For those not familiar with my lake, the water level has been dropped 50-60" to repair the dam. The old water line is at the tree line.http://static.cnhi.zope.net/flashpromo/somersetkentucky/flashpromo/slideshow/tuttlephotos/JohnTuttle.swfMy marina is the first big one on the slide show.

Sodar
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
So will they allow it to fill back up once the repairs are done? How long will it take for the repairs?

Kyle's_prostar205
02-14-2007, 05:43 PM
That is depressing to see. It reminds me of Lake Powell and having to watch the water slow go down but thankfully the past few years it has started to rebound. I'm keepin my fingers crossed.
Once they finish the dam work will it re-fill or are you guys facing the same drought situation as we are out west?

KnoxX2
02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Thats not too bad. In Ca. they drop Lake Shasta down each year in the summmer any where from 60' to 90'. Keep your head up Mag. Just rember that when something like this happens there is always opertunity out there.

PS On my way to Gadsden Al. yesterday and passed a Big Houseboat coming from your lake. I bet alot of people will be selling there boats in the next few years!!!!

BIGBADBLUE
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
WOW ... that is depressing.

I just hope they can fix it. It concerns me that they will take Center Hill down this far as well.

Sodar
02-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Thats not too bad. In Ca. they drop Lake Shasta down each year in the summmer any where from 60' to 90'.

We go to Shasta every August for 10 days and that place in incredible... over the 10 days that we are there, the water elevation will drop 3 feet!!

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
So will they allow it to fill back up once the repairs are done? How long will it take for the repairs?It'll go back up once the repairs are done. THe repairs are expected to take 5-7 years. There was talk of raising the lake level back up to nornal pool during the Summer, but for this year it will remain at 680' above sea level, instead of the normal 726'

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Thats not too bad. In Ca. they drop Lake Shasta down each year in the summmer any where from 60' to 90'. Keep your head up Mag. Just rember that when something like this happens there is always opertunity out there.

PS On my way to Gadsden Al. yesterday and passed a Big Houseboat coming from your lake. I bet alot of people will be selling there boats in the next few years!!!!Might be a great time to upgrade as a lot of people will just want to get out;)

KnoxX2
02-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Yep. If you have a Houseboat there and you take it to a cove you need to move it every day off the shore. Because if you don't you will become stuck. I have seen alot of people trying to pull there houseboat off the shore with there ski boat.

I love that lake and we miss it.......... Going out there in march and will need a pull!!!!!! Anyone?.........

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Yep. If you have a Houseboat there and you take it to a cove you need to move it every day off the shore. Because if you don't you will become stuck. I have seen alot of people trying to pull there houseboat off the shore with there ski boat.

I love that lake and we miss it.......... Going out there in march and will need a pull!!!!!! Anyone?.........I ain't gettin in the water in March!8p

KnoxX2
02-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I ain't gettin in the water in March!8p

PU$$$....................JK:D :D

TX.X-30 fan
02-14-2007, 06:09 PM
It'll go back up once the repairs are done. THe repairs are expected to take 5-7 years. There was talk of raising the lake level back up to nornal pool during the Summer, but for this year it will remain at 680' above sea level, instead of the normal 726'

Hell 5-7 yrs. they could build a new dam in that amount of time. :confused:

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 06:14 PM
PU$$$....................JK:D :DAnd damned proud of it!8p

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Hell 5-7 yrs. they could build a new dam in that amount of time. :confused: I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to fix it. Beside if they did that, they would have to empty the entire lake. I told them that couldn't happen as I have a bunch of lunatics counting the days till Mag Mania III:D

erkoehler
02-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Mag,

Does this mean less debris for a spring Mania?

Mag_Red
02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Mag,

Does this mean less debris for a spring Mania?Hadn't decided on a Spring event..........you guys willing to make two trips again???

Leroy
02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
WOW, great slide show, I think for skiing everyone will miss the inlets that are gone now.

erkoehler
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Hadn't decided on a Spring event..........you guys willing to make two trips again???

Two.....count again, last year was three :)

And to answer your question:

Hell yes, I'll come down:D Your water is warmer in May;)

Monte
02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Two.....count again, last year was three

And to answer your question:

Hell yes, I'll come down:D Your water is warmer in May;)

Erk.. there is a roadtrip heading this way it May seem;) I'm sure they wouldn't mind another;)
Mag I hate to see that going on at Cumberland...

OhioProstar
02-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Sad Stuff Mag, the ramp about 4 pics in is where we have stayed (Lake Cumberland Resorts) the last few years. It was always a little short, but there is no chance to put in now.

Hoosier Bob
02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
More beach is good right? It should be easier to set up the course right? You can always walk back to your boat after a wipeout which is good right?:o

Hoff1
02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I'll add a couple of winter pics from yesterday morning. Spent Saturday night down there in the cabins at Lake Cumberland State Park.

Hoff1
02-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Another one.

Hoff1
02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
And one more

Mag_Red
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
NIce Pictures! I'm trying to look on the positive side of things. The lake will be so different with a visible shoreline.............actually looks pretty nice in the pics. A lot of the party coves will be gone, but 'm sure different ones will surface as the lake is let down. I am glad that I didn't spend a fortune on the houseboat ( those that have been to MM will attest to that LOL ), so I think I will always be able to get my $$ back if I decide to pack up. I'm hoping that used boats will go down in value ( lack of buyers ) and I'll be able to get a bigger boat for a lot less than I could have last year. :) I'm sure glad now though that I didn't have the new boat built that I was looking at the end of last year.:D

Hoff1
02-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Here's my take on things.

For those who don't have a boat here, please stay away. It's dangerous and almost all of the water is gone. Hidden rock everywhere. Please stay away and go to other lakes. You are not safe here.

For those who do have boats here, were going to have great water this year since no one else will be coming. Less crowded, more glass, better skiing and boarding. Partying will never stop. This place is awesome.

From an investment position, I think there could be some money to be made eventually. Buy low, sell high. If they do keep it low for a year, probably not. But, if they keep it low for several years, you might be able to flip some houseboats for a profit. Who's in?

I feel sorry for everyone at Laurel Lake and Dale Hollow. They're going to be getting a lot of spill over traffic from the Ohio Navy and others that plan no moving. At least until everyone realizes my first paragraph is false and the second one is really true.

Footin
02-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Hadn't decided on a Spring event..........you guys willing to make two trips again???

I'm there...........

Slinkyredfoot
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Hoff, some very good points...I have been to Cumberland numerous times, those are great pictures. I was wondering how much lower the lake will go from where it is in the pics?

Hoff1
02-20-2007, 08:13 AM
From what I've heard, they're going keep the level this high for the rest of the year. There have been talk of dropping it another 30 feet, but I don't think that is going to happen.

The middle picture above shows a string of islands that are now one big pennisula towards the far end of the lake. One of my friends went there about 3 weeks ago and found this. Anyone want to guess what it is.

Hoff1
02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Here's another one. No telling what kind of stuff we'll find this year with the water level down like it is.

OhioProstar
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
You know I heard there were family cemetary plots under the water. If you get down towards Little South Fork, I lost an anchor in Cooper's creek.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Hoff, Are those old coffins? that one looks like its a coffin......?

Hoff1
02-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Pretty sure they're coffins. Especially the angled one, never seen anything that has that shape that isn't a coffin.

They found some last year with a few bones in them closer towards the dam. Not something you see everyday.

erkoehler
02-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Is it going to be investigated further to see what they are?

Hoff1
02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm sure some type of official investigation will be done by the local yokals. But, who knows. I'll do my own beer goggle investigation if they're still there in the spring.

02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Is it going to be investigated further to see what they are?
You volunteering for the job? Just like Larry, Darrell, and Darrell...."anything for a buck":cool:

sizzler
02-21-2007, 10:46 AM
bob.......when is the next magmania???

02-21-2007, 11:02 AM
bob.......when is the next magmania???
Yea, we gotsta start thinkin bout that! Once we confirm the weekend, we can make plans, book rooms, schedule beer trucks, buy plane tickets, reserve hookers, etc.....

wgwollet
02-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Mag Red.......your just have to go to a much better lake...Dale Hollow, TN but please keep it a secret we don't need all those Cumberland Lake House Boat people. Many Ohio poeple down here about another 100 miles from your lake.

kycat2007
02-23-2007, 02:00 AM
I read that the additional 30 feet may be coming. I posted the link in another thread. I hope this will turn out ok.