PDA

View Full Version : Off Trail Snowmobile Pics!

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Big thanks goes out to Datdude for leading us to a AWESOME day of snowmobiling! A day that I will not soon forget, and one that will likely cost me more money down the line :) (Enclosed trailer, paddle track, M7)

The first picture is of the group on the power lines :D

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Next, it was time to take to the air! :D

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Datdude found some deep powder on one of the back logging roads.....here is the end result:

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
He looked like he was having fun stuck in the powder, so I went ahead and joined him :)

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:33 PM
The riding was AMAZING, we didn't ride the trails at all :)

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:34 PM
We had some really good "stucks" and this is one of the holes we made in the powder after digging out a sled:o

He is about 6 ft. tall, and the snow was easily up to his shoulders!!!! That was without even finding the ground :)

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Here is our fearless leader, stuck again:D

This was a serious hill....pretty amazing climb :)

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Just to give you alittle definition of how high and steep this hill was, the black dot at the bottom is my sled! It took at least 15-20 minutes for us to walk up the hill sinking into the snow up to our waists to reach Chad's sled!

The pictures don't do it justice!

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
The snow is definetly deep when you can do this with little to no effort :) This was found out in the back woods off a logging road....looked to have been "dumped" there!

Mag_Red
02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
That actually looks like some serious fun! Never realized you all had powder like that. So how cold is it up there??

erkoehler
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
The ride took place in the neighborhood of Twin Lakes, MI and they get some SERIOUS lake effect snow!!! Temps. were between 15-20 during the day, and dropping close to or below zero at night!

Serious fun doesn't even begin to describe it :)

Mikey
02-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Man those are some pretty cool pics. I cant wait until next weekend when I get to do the same thing. Twin lakes isnt far from my place.

jlf
02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Lance would've had a blast. I guess I won't let him see this thread.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-13-2007, 09:16 AM
The snow is definetly deep when you can do this with little to no effort :) This was found out in the back woods off a logging road....looked to have been "dumped" there!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!?!?!?!?!? THATS MY VAN!!!!:rant: :rant:

Yoo wrecked it! :mad: Now I am going to have to get the WHOLE van painted!

Datdude
02-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures ERK! At least you didn't have pictures of ALL of my stucks. I have to maintain the image that I know what I am doing:uglyhamme . In my defense, the picture of my sled stuck on the big hill was not really my fault. The only reason I tried riding up that hill was to get Jeremy unstuck. I did not feel like a 20 minute hike in waist deep snow. The other issue was trying to ride up the hill in Jeremy's trench. This makes a standard climb much more difficult. That is my story......and I am sticking to it. The weather was nice and the conditions were pretty good for the most part:cool: . I had a great time hanging out with you and Jeremy.....hopefully we can do it again sometime soon:toast: !

Clean out your inbox by the way!

Workin' 4 Toys
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM
was not really my fault. It never is my friend, it never is...8p

Datdude
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
It never is my friend, it never is...8p

That is what I have been trying to tell people for a long time now!

The chute was very narrow (about 2 sleds wide) and Jeremy went right up the middle and made a 2' deep trench. As I got closer to the top I tried going back and forth across the trench to avoid getting stuck but was unsuccessful:o . I am confident that if the snow was set up even a little I would have made it with no problem. The other problem was that there was a turn I needed to make to get lined up with the chute and I was not able to keep as much speed as I would have liked around that corner. Oh well......getting stuck is part of the fun. I guess if you don't get stuck you are not trying hard enough:D

SkiDog
02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a crazy question. If you can get a snowmobile stuck, then how in the hell do you get it unstuck?!:confused: On 4 wheelers, we have winches to get us unstuck, what about sleds? Man that sure looks like it would be right up my alley!:) I guess I could handle the cold over the mud!

erkoehler
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
You have to dig the sled out, lift it out of the hole, push/pull, turn it around to point down hill....or barrel roll it out of the hole :)

jimmer2880
02-14-2007, 08:20 AM
You have to dig the sled out, lift it out of the hole, push/pull, turn it around to point down hill....or barrel roll it out of the hole :)

That just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Datdude
02-14-2007, 09:51 AM
The more people you have the easier it usually is to get unstuck. The easiest way to get out is to have one person grab each ski and have the driver give it some gas. This seems to be pretty effective in most cases. In the picture where my sled is stuck on the steep hill, it was easier to turn the sled around. We had 3 people at the front of the sled and one in the back. We rotated it around until it was out of the trench and I could ride it down the hill. ERK got stuck at some funny angles and it would have been easier to just barrel roll the b**ch but he refused to let us roll his new $10,000 sled:D . I believe Warn does offer a portable winch that works with snowmobiles. The problem is that it weighs 30+lbs and someone would have to carry it around with them. The hardest part was actually getting to the stuck sleds. The snow is waist deep and there is a layer under there that allows you to stay on top for a while, then you break through.

SkiDog
02-14-2007, 10:27 AM
The more people you have the easier it usually is to get unstuck. The easiest way to get out is to have one person grab each ski and have the driver give it some gas. This seems to be pretty effective in most cases. In the picture where my sled is stuck on the steep hill, it was easier to turn the sled around. We had 3 people at the front of the sled and one in the back. We rotated it around until it was out of the trench and I could ride it down the hill. ERK got stuck at some funny angles and it would have been easier to just barrel roll the b**ch but he refused to let us roll his new $10,000 sled:D . I believe Warn does offer a portable winch that works with snowmobiles. The problem is that it weighs 30+lbs and someone would have to carry it around with them. The hardest part was actually getting to the stuck sleds. The snow is waist deep and there is a layer under there that allows you to stay on top for a while, then you break through.

Damn, at least mud has a BOTTOM!:D Course, ya'll don't have to spend an hour pressure washing when you're done either!:D

TMCNo1
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Damn, at least mud has a BOTTOM!:D Course, ya'll don't have to spend an hour pressure washing when you're done either!:D

Now I see why Gators prey on Dogs in any kind of swamp, they are easy pickin's! If not, the Gators get their beer!

And besides, let off the brake dude, ya ain't going nowhere like that!

Ric
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
The riding was AMAZING, we didn't ride the trails at all :) Cool! I want to do that someday

Datdude
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Cool! I want to do that someday

Come on up! You can get a rental sled.......just make sure you get the insurance;)