PDA

View Full Version : Middle School Volleyball

phecksel
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Getting pretty good with the camera :)

http://www.hecksel.com/images/Kortlyn/volleyball/2007_02_10%20invitational/south/a/images/DSC_8158.jpg

Leroy
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
That is good, I have trouble taking basketball pictures in our gym not getting enough light.

Is that your daughter pushing the ball over?

phecksel
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
That is good, I have trouble taking basketball pictures in our gym not getting enough light.

Is that your daughter pushing the ball over?
No, one of the girls on her team.

Gotta spend some gas money on faster glass :) Over at one of the nikon forums, there's a guy who takes unbelievable pictures, but he has spent more money then all my ski gear put together! It's not worth that much to me.

Leroy
02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
I looked also and could spend several years gas money on glass! For outdoor soccer with bright sunlight I get great pictures. Otherwise I struggle for great indoor action shots.

maristarman
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
You may want to think twice before posting pictures of other peoples children on the internet.......

Some parents may not appreciate it.

phecksel
02-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I looked also and could spend several years gas money on glass! For outdoor soccer with bright sunlight I get great pictures. Otherwise I struggle for great indoor action shots.
I got lucky and came across a 85mm 1.8 the owner was selling because it was "soft". He was taking outdoor pictures at 1.8, and think he misread soft for shallow DOF. Got it for a good deal, and lately, it's the only lens on the camera.

phecksel
02-16-2007, 12:58 PM
You may want to think twice before posting pictures of other peoples children on the internet.......

Thank you for your concern.

That picture and others have been published in the local paper, and the parent's loved it. I have only heard loud thank you from parents happy to get quality pictures of their children participating in sporting events. Very few can take the quality and action photos I'm taking and providing for free. Most pro's can't achieve this level of product. If any parent specifically requests their child not have their picture taken, then they won't access to the great action shots, won't be published in the paper, or won't make the school year book. There's also the photographers rights and public access laws. Essentially as long as the photo is taken in a public place, and correctly depicts the person, there's nothing that can be done about it. That being said, if the picture is used for commercial uses, then a release form is a good idea. If I did hear something negative, would do everything I could to accommodate their individual request.

My biggest struggle is doing this work for free, because I'm taking work away from the local pro's, who in my opinion produce crap. But, they aren't at every game, taking hundreds of pictures, or spending hours and hours reviewing and processing pictures. I bought this camera, because my extremely athletic younger daughter is absolutely amazing in a couple of sports and we wanted to record her "growing up". Unfortunately, her "trying" all these different sports has me spending too much money on fast glass. Outdoor track was one thing, swimming in a poorly lit pool is a totally environment.

The local rag is loving it, and for several reasons I can not accept payment for the published photos. Way too much bad news about the kids gets printed, and they love to share some good things with the community. The HS football team had a very difficult year, but one of the positives, was one kid running back an opening kickoff for a touch down. The yearbook photographer, and two newspapers photog's working the game missed it, but I captured the event with my long lens from the stands. Local rag published it! I didn't specifically hear from that parent, but the coaches loved seeing it in print.

Maristar210
02-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Newspapers publish sports photos on their websites all the time. That's okay though?

Phecksel - Great shots. Looks like you have some great young athletes there!!!

Leroy
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I took ~4000 pictures of the high school soccer team players that were published in the newspapers and many other places and never had a complaint. I did email all parents in the beginning on what I was doing.

We do watch this and for our club try not to publish photos with names. Sad state of the world having to think about this......