PDA

View Full Version : Broken emergency brake cable

lassy
02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
i forgot to unhook the emergency brake cable from my jeep and after unhooking the trailer and chains, took off and snapped the cable. it is still attached into the tongue, so i have a frayed piece of cable dangling out now.

should i get an entirely new cable, or can i join another piece of cable to the broken end and still be fine?

east tx skier
02-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm dealing with a similar scenario (and have been for a while). The new cable was about $10 from www.trailersbydorsey.com. You may need to reset your actuator. There is a great animated demo that Sodarski73 linked to in a thread about this last week (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14241&highlight=emergency).

lassy
02-12-2007, 01:36 PM
yea i found that...thanks though.

i'm wondering if mine was even functioning because after i ripped it loose, the trailer still moved. it didn't lock up as the video shows it should. so i'm wondering if hooking the cable back up will do any good.

TMCNo1
02-12-2007, 01:56 PM

i'm wondering if mine was even functioning because after i ripped it loose, the trailer still moved. it didn't lock up as the video shows it should. so i'm wondering if hooking the cable back up will do any good.

WTH, :confused: :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Sodar
02-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Do your brakes work under normal towing?

rodltg2
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
ive done this to every boat so far as well. hopefully this wont happen to my mc i just bought.

lassy
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
they seem to. when i tow it with my jeep cherokee....i think i feel the trailer brakes kick in upon the change in momentum.

but i remember after i broke the cable off, the wheels weren't locked up or anything, so i never had an issue with it. i figure i shouldn't worry with it at this point, i don't travel with the boat, just in and out of the water at the marina.

WTRSK1R
02-22-2007, 11:05 PM
It is not a difficult job if you have a C-ring pliers to remove the clips off the big pins that hold the tongue together. The whole actuator / master cylinder will slide out the front of the tongue and then you can replace the cable. If you have the height of the tongue adjusted correctly, you can slide out the assembly and rest it on the bottom of an upside down 5 gallon bucket. By pulling it apart, you will also be able to tell why the brakes are not locked up right now. It should not have released on its own after the cable snapped. In any case, it is a safety feature that you will really wish you had if you ever have issue with the trailer disconnecting from the tow vehicle.

Good Luck.

Steve