PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! I need Tower Speakers & Smokin Tunes!

dwjackson
02-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I just got the green light to put some $$$ into tower speakers and new internal speakers for my Mastercraft X30. No boat is complete without clean, clear, load tunes.

I know nothing about sound.....who loves their tunes??? What do you have, what did it cost and where do I get it. Thanks!!! Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

Chief
02-12-2007, 06:44 AM
I just got the green light to put some $$$ into tower speakers and new internal speakers for my Mastercraft X30. No boat is complete without clean, clear, load tunes.

I know nothing about sound.....who loves their tunes??? What do you have, what did it cost and where do I get it. Thanks!!! Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

JBL will do the job. Talk to MYMC or look at his site and you will find an abyss of sound products.

I would suggest the 6-channel JBL amp with JBL tower speakers. I don't like clairion at all. They will sound good for a while but then........... JBL has some good componet speakers for the interior. Just my opinion though.

Good luck

Jerseydave
02-12-2007, 09:11 AM
"I just got the green light"

HAHA, spoken like a married man! I know the feeling!

Good luck with the tunes! Rock the lake!

Oh, and welcome to team talk

-Dave

dwjackson
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks.........beautiful boat! What did you put 0n it for tower speakers?
Dave J
(from frozen MI)

SkiDog
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks.........beautiful boat! What did you put 0n it for tower speakers?
Dave J
(from frozen MI)
For us to properly guide you into the stereo world, we need to see some pics of this fine boat. I'm also an X-30 owner. I just trashed my Clarion tower speakers for some new Diamond Audio's. They sound sooooo much better!

lakesnake
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Excellent topic Dave, stereo systems are very important. I can't play a lick of anything on a musical instrument, but I sure can work the VOL ^ button and the >> & << buttons lol. I love my music! Not to take away from your topic Dave, but i've asked for advice on a new MC purchase, and I have a question about stereo. In my topic X-45 vs. X-80 vs. X-Star, you guys about have me convinced into an X-45.

Here's my question: Should I bare-bones the factory stereo, saving a little green, and invest in aftermarket tower speakers and such? Skidog, when you trashed the Clarions, did you keep the tower enclosures? What kinda bass are you putting out?

SKI*MC
02-13-2007, 12:08 AM
i must sound like a broken record, at least it feels like i am always saying this. But.. Polk MOMO are awesome sounding speakers. I have a 12 in my car and it THUMPS! As for the speakers, i have heard them and am more than impressed with them. I am saving up for them to put in my car. The Polk MOMO are also marine ceritifed, so they can get wet. They come as components, and coxails. The components have separate tweeters, like im sure your X-30 already has. They are going to have high highs and low lows for speakers. Coxials will have a good range but not quite as good as components. www.polkaudio.com

SKI*MC
02-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Excellent topic Dave, stereo systems are very important. I can't play a lick of anything on a musical instrument, but I sure can work the VOL ^ button and the >> & << buttons lol. I love my music! Not to take away from your topic Dave, but i've asked for advice on a new MC purchase, and I have a question about stereo. In my topic X-45 vs. X-80 vs. X-Star, you guys about have me convinced into an X-45.

Here's my question: Should I bare-bones the factory stereo, saving a little green, and invest in aftermarket tower speakers and such? Skidog, when you trashed the Clarions, did you keep the tower enclosures? What kinda bass are you putting out?

Well if you are getting an X-40 it will have all JL audio, not clarion, exept for the head unit. The JL's are really nice speakers. WAAAAY better than other boat companies using Kenwood and X-Plodes as speakers. Not bad brands, but somethings are just not good sounding products.

FlatBoard
02-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I agree about the Clarion products. I know that MC uses JL Audio speakers now, good change from the Clarion speakers. Do they still use the Clarion head unit?

This topic is being discussed on another thread (Tower speaker selection by Pro Star). I am considering using Pro Audio by Wetsounds.

www.wetsounds.com

SkiDog
02-14-2007, 11:39 AM

I sold the tower speaker cans here on TT. I've got two amps, one is pushing a 12'' base speaker at the drivers feet area.

dwjackson
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Sweeeeeeeet! I looked at Diamond Audion (is this the Fusion from the MC Dealer) and they do have great looks - haven't heard them yet. Dealer was talking $2500 ish for a system.

Just got the X-30 last August so we did not get the pics yet, but ice will soon give way to me hurting myself on the WB. Thanks

dwjackson
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Another friend reccommended Polk as well. I'll have to totally redo the speakers to get the sound I want, tower and interior. Its a project I only want to do once and do right.......until the next MC. Thanks

dwjackson
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Another friend reccommended Polk as well. I'll have to totally redo the speakers to get the sound I want, tower and interior. Its a project I only want to do once and do right.......until the next MC. Thanks

JBaker
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
The Polk-Momo stuff is great and so is JL, they are the two best speaker companies in the marine market IMHO.

Whatever brand you choose, do yourself a favor and get them plenty of clean power from a good amp!

If you are serious about designing a nice system, I highly recommend calling 800-754-9876. It is a company called Marine Audio that supplies MC with all their stereo products. They don't sell retail, but at least you will be getting a non-biased opinion rather than a sales guy. Very friendly too.

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 11:49 AM
When I had my stereo work done at a custom car stereo place they got with the JL audio rep and he made some good recommendations. we decided after talking to him to use the slash amps instead of the marine series. The rep stated in his opinion I would be much happier with the increased output of the slash amps. The boat would have to sink anyway to get any water on my amps.

dwjackson
02-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks! I was just at the GR, MI boat show and the new JL Towers look great, however it would be great to talk to somone who knows Mastercraft for input. I'll do some research on Slash amps as well. I want to do this once and do it right. I just was so dissapointed with the Clarion OEM stuff, that as much time as I spend in a boat in the short Michigan summers, I want clean, clear, loud and proud system.
Thanks for the help!

JBaker
02-22-2007, 12:39 PM
When I had my stereo work done at a custom car stereo place they got with the JL audio rep and he made some good recommendations. we decided after talking to him to use the slash amps instead of the marine series. The rep stated in his opinion I would be much happier with the increased output of the slash amps. The boat would have to sink anyway to get any water on my amps.

Be careful using the Slash series amps in a boat. They are fantastic (have them in my car) but they are not marine and can cause problems with other marine electrical devices. Without getting too technical, the slash series amps feature a switching power supply. This is a great feature that allows the amplifier to maintain identical power output regardless of impedance (within a certain range.) JL Audio calls this R.I.P.S. However, this power supply switches across frequencies used by marine devices; among them that have been affected are stereo remotes w/ LCD displays and two-way radios. This is why JL does not distribute the Slash series to anyone in the Marine industry.

Also, an amp doesn't have to get wet to benefit from marinization. Humidity, especially in areas where salt is in the air, can cause traditional amplifiers to corrode and fail. But if you are a fair weather lake guy and looking to save a couple bucks by not using marine amps, look to JL's A series. They also have the ability to gain power output by cutting impedance (a feature eliminated by R.I.P.S. because power increase by cutting impedance adds minimal levels of distortion.) That is something important to consider if you are going to run 4 speakers off a 2-channel, 8 off a 4-channel, etc.

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Be careful using the Slash series amps in a boat. They are fantastic (have them in my car) but they are not marine and can cause problems with other marine electrical devices. Without getting too technical, the slash series amps feature a switching power supply. This is a great feature that allows the amplifier to maintain identical power output regardless of impedance (within a certain range.) JL Audio calls this R.I.P.S. However, this power supply switches across frequencies used by marine devices; among them that have been affected are stereo remotes w/ LCD displays and two-way radios. This is why JL does not distribute the Slash series to anyone in the Marine industry.

Also, an amp doesn't have to get wet to benefit from marinization. Humidity, especially in areas where salt is in the air, can cause traditional amplifiers to corrode and fail. But if you are a fair weather lake guy and looking to save a couple bucks by not using marine amps, look to JL's A series. They also have the ability to gain power output by cutting impedance (a feature eliminated by R.I.P.S. because power increase by cutting impedance adds minimal levels of distortion.) That is something important to consider if you are going to run 4 speakers off a 2-channel, 8 off a 4-channel, etc.

Obviously you know your stuff I understand little of it. There may be an explanation why the rep would suggest the slash amps, 150 amp marine alt. 2 kinetics batteries (run the stereo only) separate battery for starter and boat electronics. digital regulator marine. All speakers are driven by their own channel. JLA300/2's (5) JLA1000/1 subs

I have not noticed any of the problems you have mentioned. The only problem we have had has been some clipping (high end) this has only happened a few times, and after many hours of hard use. Oh and the temp was always near 100. My guess is this is not a problem that has a solution. Once it clips I turn it down, the amp comes right back to life. The amps are in the storage area under the glove box (not much air flow).

Thanks for all the information JBAKER. :D

JBaker
02-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Obviously you know your stuff I understand little of it. There may be an explanation why the rep would suggest the slash amps, 150 amp marine alt. 2 kinetics batteries (run the stereo only) separate battery for starter and boat electronics. digital regulator marine. All speakers are driven by their own channel. JLA300/2's (5) JLA1000/1 subs

I have not noticed any of the problems you have mentioned. The only problem we have had has been some clipping (high end) this has only happened a few times, and after many hours of hard use. Oh and the temp was always near 100. My guess is this is not a problem that has a solution. Once it clips I turn it down, the amp comes right back to life. The amps are in the storage area under the glove box (not much air flow).

Thanks for all the information JBAKER. :D

No problem. Am I reading your post right that you have 5 300/2? That is a man's system if I have ever seen one. Just out of curiosity, how long can you run that bad boy with the engine off before you kill those batteries?

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
No problem. Am I reading your post right that you have 5 300/2? That is a man's system if I have ever seen one. Just out of curiosity, how long can you run that bad boy with the engine off before you kill those batteries?

We have been very pleased with the system. Yes there are 6 amps total (5) 300/2 (1) 1000/1 jl subs (2). There are (2) kinetic sp? agm batteries 2400's they are supposed to put out correct amps until drained. To answer your question, well over an hour at stupid levels. At a reasonable level for conversation we have not had them die. The batteries are very expensive, this will be our second season with them so we'll see. I keep a tender on them all the time.

prostar205
02-23-2007, 07:26 PM
We have been very pleased with the system. Yes there are 6 amps total (5) 300/2 (1) 1000/1 jl subs (2). There are (2) kinetic sp? agm batteries 2400's they are supposed to put out correct amps until drained. To answer your question, well over an hour at stupid levels. At a reasonable level for conversation we have not had them die. The batteries are very expensive, this will be our second season with them so we'll see. I keep a tender on them all the time.

Where do you put 6 amps in an X30? I have two Kicker amps fastened to the inside wall under the glove box area where the stock Clarion amps were located. Can you post a few pics????

Thanks,

Tom

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Where do you put 6 amps in an X30? I have two Kicker amps fastened to the inside wall under the glove box area where the stock Clarion amps were located. Can you post a few pics????

Thanks,

Tom

Mine are in the same area, but we added another board of that composite stuff when you look straight in to the compartment. I will get some pics tomorrow when I go to the warehouse.

How do you like that L-18.

prostar205
02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
The L-18 is an awesome engine setup for the X30. I comes in real handy when surfing with 2,000 lbs of ballast and 5-6 guys. The fuel consumption really is not that bad, about 6-7 gallons/hr. But, who really cares - no one buys a boat like this to "save" fuel. It is quite abit louder than the MCX or LQ9s I've heard hence the reason for a nice and loud, clear stereo.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2007, 10:27 PM
The L-18 is an awesome engine setup for the X30. I comes in real handy when surfing with 2,000 lbs of ballast and 5-6 guys. The fuel consumption really is not that bad, about 6-7 gallons/hr. But, who really cares - no one buys a boat like this to "save" fuel. It is quite abit louder than the MCX or LQ9s I've heard hence the reason for a nice and loud, clear stereo.

I wanted a used x-30 with the L-18 but since I am married and have no palotes' we spent more dinero's on a new boat. we love our boat, but I have heard that sweet roar u allude to.

The answer to clear load music is great amplification, and of course great speakers. (extra batteries to).

prostar205
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
TX.X-30 fan -

I hear you on the new boat path. I bought a brand new '95 PS205 back in 1996. It sure is nice not having to clean out other people's DNA - if you know what I mean. There is something to be said about buying new. We got an offer we could not refuse on this boat - 3 year old X30, never titled and it came with a brand new factory warranty. Best part was the price was at the used boat level. At first, my thought was the L-18 was too much for this boat. But, I quick regained my manhood and said - No Way, a guy can never too much horsepower.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
TX.X-30 fan -

I hear you on the new boat path. I bought a brand new '95 PS205 back in 1996. It sure is nice not having to clean out other people's DNA - if you know what I mean. There is something to be said about buying new. We got an offer we could not refuse on this boat - 3 year old X30, never titled and it came with a brand new factory warranty. Best part was the price was at the used boat level. At first, my thought was the L-18 was too much for this boat. But, I quick regained my manhood and said - No Way, a guy can never too much horsepower.

NO NO NO Love our boat (X-45's is sweet) don't have that extra 85,000 left in the mattress. The MCX is a great power plant, but I'm' with you love the extra HP power. Sometimes its just better to give in.

TX.X-30 fan
02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey prostar205 those pics I promised.

Brought the boat over to the house today to de-mothball it. Played the stereo for 4+ hrs. reasonable levels never dropped below 11.5 amps. If you are looking at a house battery set-up those kinetek batteries are amazing. They will output consistent power until the are drained.

dmayer84
02-25-2007, 11:43 PM

That setup must sound awesome, wish I had somethin like that.

prostar205
02-26-2007, 12:43 AM

Brought the boat over to the house today to de-mothball it. Played the stereo for 4+ hrs. reasonable levels never dropped below 11.5 amps. If you are looking at a house battery set-up those kinetek batteries are amazing. They will output consistent power until the are drained.

Thanks for the pictures. That's pretty much where I thought they would be. I am trying to stay with my single 4 channel Kicker KX850 that runs the interior and tower speakers. I also have a Class D Kicker KX600 for the sub. Depending on which tower speaker I go with, I may have to add another 2-channel amp.

dwjackson
02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow! I have a new dream. Great pictures! I will take your advice on the kinetic batteries. We have killed the stereo long before we killed the keg, with much, much less power going into tunes. Good education, great dreambuilding.

TX.X-30 fan
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow! I have a new dream. Great pictures! I will take your advice on the kinetic batteries. We have killed the stereo long before we killed the keg, with much, much less power going into tunes. Good education, great dreambuilding.

Thanks dwjackson, let me know if you need anything.