PDA

View Full Version : Insurance...or something...

bcampbe7
01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
I know there are a few insurance guys, as well as individuals with kids on here so I have a question for those...
May be wishful thinking, but is there anything one can do to supplement a spouse's income after being out of work for having a child? The reason I asks is because my wife is a private contractor and does not get paid time off. I have heard that disability insurance will pay some if she is put on bed rest before having a child. Aside from saving the cash for the month or two she will be off work, is there another option, or added option?
We also thought about hiring someone to work under her, but it is pretty hard to find a Speech therapist in this area... Good for business, bad for taking time off.

Just curious...

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Savings account? In all seriousness, my wife is an independent contractor as well and we have been trying to figure out IF/when that becomes an issue. I believe you can get individual "disability insurance" but it costs more than normal. Does she work in an industry that has a formal "association" if so she might be able to get a group rate through them....Lee aren't you in the insurance biz?

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Just saw that she was in Speech Therapy:

http://www.asha.org/default.htm

bcampbe7
01-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm thinking savings account will be it also.
Yeah, she is a member of ASHA, but we haven't looked into the benefits and such they can provide... Guess we should...