PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Help

jrcarte78
02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
O.K. all you computer savvy folks(I though I was fairly savvy myself, but obviously NOT) I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer 6/7. This all started yesterday when a notice popped up on my computer that said my free trial(I recently purchased a Dell Dimension Desktop in December) of "Norton Internet Security" was going to expire in 28 days and I needed to renew. I wasn't a big fan of the Norton stuff to begin with so I definitely wasn't going to renew it. I went one step further--I uninstalled the Norton suite and everything went fine i.e. no error messages regarding anything.

I try to get back on the internet after uninstalling the Norton and some of the pages are whacked out. The MC site doesn't look normal, the Sirius site is totally off, and some of the links don't work. At this point I still had IE 6.

This morning I came in and thought that possibly the problem could be not having IE 7. So, I downloaded and installed but the problem is still occurring. I have talked to Sirius support about the web site. They have had no other reported problems. I have talked to Dell--not much help--don't get me started(I wanted to put red, angry emoticon here but just noticed those aren't working either). I've also been reading the IE help application all day and can't find anything regarding this. I've deleted all my cookies, internet history, reset everything to defaults, etc.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this with IE 6 or 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully it's something extremely stupid that've I've done and I may be raked over the coals for it :)

P.S. I wanted to post screen prints of the screens I'm getting, but am unable to attach presumably due to this latest gremlin(just found this out as well).

Danimal
02-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Did you try to uninstall and reinstall IE6? It sounds as though it may have been corrupted during the removal of Norton -

dmayer84
02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Try cleaning up all of the registry keys left over by norton. Norton and McAfee are terrible programs and end up doing more damage than good.

jrcarte78
02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Did you try to uninstall and reinstall IE6? It sounds as though it may have been corrupted during the removal of Norton -

I did try to uninstall and re install IE 7, but not 6. I could not find six to download. I would definitely like to try if I could find IE 6 for download.

J.R.

jrcarte78
02-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Try cleaning up all of the registry keys left over by norton. Norton and McAfee are terrible programs and end up doing more damage than good.

My thoughts exactly--atleast about Norton and McAfee being junk!! How would I go about cleaning these registry keys?

Thanks for ya'lls quick responses!

J.R.

Utahfoiler
02-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Just go to www.mozilla.org and get firefox. Dump that IE crap.

jrcarte78
02-09-2007, 07:21 PM

I have tried both Mozilla and Netscape(owned by the same group now?) and neither will work with the Sirius player. I prefer the look and feel of Mozilla but, it just doesn't work with the player(and also some sites I use for work).

J.R.

Danimal
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I am running Firefox and love it!

ProTour X9
02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Why don't you try the geek squad?:D

milkmania
02-09-2007, 07:48 PM
haven't used Internet Explorer in years!

but, if you need it to run a certain website, I understand:(

milkmania
02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
I did try to uninstall and re install IE 7, but not 6. I could not find six to download. I would definitely like to try if I could find IE 6 for download.

J.R.

what about restoring back to before you uninstalled norton?

dmayer84
02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I use firefox fine with sirius player online. To get the registry keys start>run>regedit then search for norton and delete every key it finds with norton in the name

pram
02-09-2007, 08:49 PM
I use a program called CCleaner download it and give it a shot. Works really well for deleting old registry keys so that you don't have to go searching for them yourself.

I find that between AVG Free and CCleaner that I don't have any problems with my computer.

Norton I find to be a system hog

ilikeitglacy
02-09-2007, 10:14 PM
CCleaner stands for crap cleaner and it works fine

WilliM1940
02-09-2007, 10:21 PM
IE6 is still available on the Microsoft site, it is just hard to find. Look under downloads, internet, Internet Explorer Service Pack 1. It is the whole thing, not just a service pack.

Leroy
02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I wonder if an add on got disabled or deleted? Look in tools if you have IE7 and see what add ons are enabled.

Also check tools- internet options- advanced to see if something funny is set there.

Could be the list of sites to block got corrupted. Also check your security settings.

jrcarte78
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I tried just about everything with no success. I finally said scre* this and just re-installed XP. Everything is working, atleast momentarily, like it should and I didn't lose anything that was on the hard drive.

I appreciate all who helped out on this thread! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you(non-computer realted obviously ;) ).

Thanks again.

J.R.

east tx skier
02-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Agreed. I love firefox. Plus, IE7 is about the slowest thing I've ever seen.

east tx skier
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I have tried both Mozilla and Netscape(owned by the same group now?) and neither will work with the Sirius player. I prefer the look and feel of Mozilla but, it just doesn't work with the player(and also some sites I use for work).

J.R.

There should be a feature to "view in internet explorer" in Mozilla for those instances when a page isn't compatible.

dmayer84
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
There should be a feature to "view in internet explorer" in Mozilla for those instances when a page isn't compatible.

There is a plugin for FireFox to run with IE properties but still inside of FireFox

dmayer84
02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
A link to the IE Plugin for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

Jkelly
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I had that problem when I updated my wifes computer with the new IE7. I had to delete IE7, then reboot the computer and IE6 came back. I have been using Firefox for about a year now and agree with others. it is a much better browser. I recently made my wife switch so I would not have that problem again.

ProTour X9
06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
The problems so bad i can't even start a new thread:mad:
It seems TMC and the MC sites require an updated version of Flash Player. I go to download it and it shows the loading thing, and then nothing.:( I can't see the top of the Team Talk screen, the red bar with the boat. I've tryed downloading it at least 10 times and the stupid thing won't work. I've done almost every solution in troubleshooting also. Can anyone help me please:o :confused: ?

dmayer84
06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
The problems so bad i can't even start a new thread:mad:
It seems TMC and the MC sites require an updated version of Flash Player. I go to download it and it shows the loading thing, and then nothing.:( I can't see the top of the Team Talk screen, the red bar with the boat. I've tryed downloading it at least 10 times and the stupid thing won't work. I've done almost every solution in troubleshooting also. Can anyone help me please:o :confused: ?

Are you running IE7?

ProTour X9
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
No, that won't install either, ill try it again though

dmayer84
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Just use firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/:D:D

ProTour X9
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Just use firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/:D:D

In John Waynes voice: "NO"

dmayer84
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
do you have active x controls enabled?

ProTour X9
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Active X is enabled, the Explorer thing didn't work, we have spy sweeper and Norton