PDA

View Full Version : Starting My Own Projects

O2BESOHUGE
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Ive Been Reading Shephards Log And Went And Bought Supplies To Paint My Trim On My Windshield. Thanks Shephard For The Helpful Tips And Photos Of Everything

Im Painting My Trim On The Windshield And Buffing/waxing The Gell Coat This Weekend. Starting Off Small

O2

Monte
02-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Just take lots of pictures of the progress, Shep has a good thread there..

PendO
02-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Ive Been Reading Shephards Log And Went And Bought Supplies To Paint My Trim On My Windshield. Thanks Shephard For The Helpful Tips And Photos Of Everything

Im Painting My Trim On The Windshield And Buffing/waxing The Gell Coat This Weekend. Starting Off Small

O2

Okay Freud

Thats Shep-herd

not

Shep-hard

O2BESOHUGE
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry Shep...

PendO
02-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry Shep...

Not that you need to applogize to shep, but some ranchers might get a bit uncomfortable:)

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
For what it's worth, I know a person with the surname Shepherd and also a Shephard.

pram
02-09-2007, 02:40 PM
This is something to fear......................

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
O2B, because I'm lazy and don't want to hunt through Shepherd's thread, did he just use touch up paint? Or did he remove the frame and get crazy with the whole thing? I've got a few spots, but recently saw my dealer have to really work hard to get the glass back into the frame and don't care about these little spots all that much.

Or did he just use a sharpie?

sanjuan23
02-09-2007, 02:58 PM
O2B, because I'm lazy and don't want to hunt through Shepherd's thread, did he just use touch up paint? Or did he remove the frame and get crazy with the whole thing? I've got a few spots, but recently saw my dealer have to really work hard to get the glass back into the frame and don't care about these little spots all that much.

Or did he just use a sharpie?

Me personally given there are no available replacements for our glass I wouldnt do anything to jepordize something tragic happening.
:eek3:

O2BESOHUGE
02-09-2007, 03:04 PM
He Lightly Sanded And Painted With A Good Spray Paint On The Window Trim....and Buffed The Gel Coat To Look Like New

O2

Workin' 4 Toys
02-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Or, after it's removed, send it out and have it duplicated before the attempt is made to reinstall it....:eek:

And at that point, might as well have the frame blasted and powdercoated...

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Or, after it's removed, send it out and have it duplicated before the attempt is made to reinstall it....:eek:

And at that point, might as well have the frame blasted and powdercoated...

No doubt. My dealer was going to install a newer style mirror bracket to my frame (for $20), but had the good sense to pull the frame up a bit to look to see if it had room to do it or not. Short answer no room for the bracket without the attachment points sticking up past the frame.

So when they tried to put the frame back down, it wouldn't go back together right. So next thing we know, they have to remove the entire passenger side of my windshield. When they did that, the curved piece came out of the frame a bit. To get it back in, they basically had to pound on the glass with a rubber mallet. I opted not to watch. Eventually, they got it all back together and reinstalled. He even took the sag out of my walkthrough section of glass (this basically involves yanking it back into place). Again, I opted not to watch.

After all was said and done, we had a good laugh about it and I handed them $20 (I also ordered a friction mount cipa bracket).

shepherd
02-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Good luck O2B! It's been a fun project for me - hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Looking forward to some pics.

Doug, I just masked off the window (and the rest of the boat in the immediate area) and spray painted the windshield frame with some satin black Krylon, after sanding and priming it. I didn't have the ambition to remove the windshied and glass.

And don't forget Sheperd, Shepard, Shepperd, Sheppard, Shepphard, Shepheard... :cool:

Ric
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
No doubt. My dealer was going to install a newer style mirror bracket to my frame (for $20), but had the good sense to pull the frame up a bit to look to see if it had room to do it or not. Short answer no room for the bracket without the attachment points sticking up past the frame.

So when they tried to put the frame back down, it wouldn't go back together right. So next thing we know, they have to remove the entire passenger side of my windshield. When they did that, the curved piece came out of the frame a bit. To get it back in, they basically had to pound on the glass with a rubber mallet. I opted not to watch. Eventually, they got it all back together and reinstalled. He even took the sag out of my walkthrough section of glass (this basically involves yanking it back into place). Again, I opted not to watch.

After all was said and done, we had a good laugh about it and I handed them $20 (I also ordered a friction mount cipa bracket). sounds like you could do dips from that windshield!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
After all was said and done, we had a good laugh about it and I handed them $20 (I also ordered a friction mount cipa bracket).$20...??.......?? thats all? My gosh your cheaper than ME East....:eek: I would have at least given them $23 for their trouble. Wooosh!

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 04:31 PM
If I did that, they'd expect it every time. It's not the barber; I'm not tipping.

O2BESOHUGE
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
My God I Need A Buffer!! Wax On Wax Off Is For The Birds...

Which Do You Guys Think Will Be The Best? Air Or Electric?
Thanks
O2

Maristar210
02-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Electric, just be careful not to burn it. Less is more unlike your physique..:D :D

shepherd
02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
O2, are you doing that by hand??? You really ought to get one of these if you're buffing your gel coat: http://properboatcare.com/veprcipo.html. The price is right and well worth it.

Don't worry about burning the gel coat. It can take it unless you get crazy with the thing and run it at max speed while pressing hard down on it.

Workin' 4 Toys
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
sounds like you could do dips from that windshield!
Nah, he just ties the wakeboard rope to it so he doesn't need to buy the tower...:rolleyes:

O2BESOHUGE
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Shepherd I Cant Get The Link To Work

shepherd
02-14-2007, 09:02 AM
www.properboatcare.com

Look for the Vector Professional Circular Polisher, on sale now for 69.95. I bought it along with their "gel coat refinishing kit for circular polishers." Both make the job much easier.

O2BESOHUGE
02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks Shepherd! Im Ordering One Now!