PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Emergency Cable - How to attach it

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Just got my replacement emergency brake cable in the mail today. Came with a little c-clamp in a plastic bag. Anyone have any advice on how to attach and route these cables? There is some of mine still intact, but to say the least, this is something I've needed to replace for a long time. Will it be pretty self explanatory once I get a good look at it?

erkoehler
02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I've always heard it referred to as a pain in the arse....2 hours max total time is what I've heard from the mechanics.

Sodar
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
It is not very tough at all... Erk just likes to over charge!! JUST KIDDING ERK!!

It is just a matter of disconnecting your brake line, pulling your actuator out of the actuator tube and once you see how it was routed, it is not tough at all. Basically the cable, comes from the tongue, back to a stationary rod in the rear of the actuator and then connects to the tongue infront of the shock absorber and spring. All the cable does is essentially compress the actuator, by pulling on the cable. Good Luck!

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I think mine is still connected. I wonder if I could just somehow mend it make an extension. I really don't want to pull the actuator apart.

BButler2001, do you do house calls? :)

Sodar
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Pulling the actuator apart is really basic, just get a pair of ring clip plyers and pop out the two pins holding the actuator to the tongue..

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Pulling the actuator apart is really basic, just get a pair of ring clip plyers and pop out the two pins holding the actuator to the tongue..

I'm not so worried about getting the pins out. I just don't want to have to deal with keeping it off the floor.

Sodar
02-09-2007, 12:59 PM
There is not much to fall apart, the only thing that you will lose are a few rollers that help the actuator slide freely in the tube...

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I'll think about it. I'm apprehensive as I went through 2 master cylinders in two years (got a bad one).

Sodar
02-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Here is a perfect diagram of my previous post. You can see what the cable does and the components of the actuator...

http://www.ufpnet.com/movies/UFP_A-60-Breakaway2.mpg

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Cool. I'll give it a look. Thanks.

/edit. Wow. That's pretty much everything I needed to know.

Hoosier Bob
02-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Doug,

I think I have schematics and I will also post a link that I believe has some good photos. It was an easy job for me. No worries!:D

http://www.waymires.com/towingindex.htm

They have everthing and decent pics as well!

east tx skier
02-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks a million. I've had a couple of drinks and am feeling pretty confident about it at the moment.

TMCNo1
02-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Just got my replacement emergency brake cable in the mail today. Came with a little c-clamp in a plastic bag. Anyone have any advice on how to attach and route these cables? There is some of mine still intact, but to say the least, this is something I've needed to replace for a long time. Will it be pretty self explanatory once I get a good look at it?

Doug, I'm not being nozy, but what happened to the cable on your actuator, to make you have to replace it?
If it's a UFP A-60 actuator, I can send you a diagram out of my UFP Owners Manual that shows you the routing for it, along with the instructions for dismantling, bleeding the brakes, breakaway cable clip installation and parts list. If you need it, pm me your address and it is on the way.

east tx skier
02-10-2007, 11:19 AM
The cable is just broken off from the little ball forward. It's always been like that. No indication that the trailer was ever in any kind of accident or anything. Just how it's been since I've owned it. Yeah, I know. I've gone too long without having this essential piece of gear.

PM at you for the diagram. Thanks, Harold.

TMCNo1
02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
The cable is just broken off from the little ball forward. It's always been like that. No indication that the trailer was ever in any kind of accident or anything. Just how it's been since I've owned it. Yeah, I know. I've gone too long without having this essential piece of gear.

PM at you for the diagram. Thanks, Harold.

Done deal, let us know how it turns out. Anything else you need, just hollar, but not loud enough to make your head hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!:friday: :popcorn: :uglyhamme

Leroy
02-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Great one Sodar! I learned something from that!

This needs to be in the FAQ and include several key words so the search engine can find it!

Here is a perfect diagram of my previous post. You can see what the cable does and the components of the actuator...

http://www.ufpnet.com/movies/UFP_A-60-Breakaway2.mpg

Ric
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM

PM at you for the diagram. Thanks, Harold. you sir, are an outlaw

TMCNo1
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
you sir, are an outlaw

Your right Ric, and to think we felt safe traveling our public roadways!:rolleyes: :D 8p

X2M
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
I need some help guys.

We have replaced the emergency brake cable on the trailer. Now we can not get the actuator back into the right place on the trailer. Can't get all the holes to line up.

What are we doing wrong??

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
There should only be 2 sets of holes to line up and 2 pins w/c-clips. One in the rear is just a round hole that positions and holds the master cylinder and you have the slot forward. Put the pin in the rear hole and expand or compress the hitch portion to get the pin to go in the forward portion inside. Remember you have a spring and a shock absorber in the actuator that should create some resistance.

X2M
07-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks #1.:)

We figured it out...just had to get mad and puch harder than expected.