PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge

Kyle's_prostar205
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I got a 1997 Prostar 205 and I noticed towards the end of last year that my fuel gauge was reading only 1/2 full after every time I would fill up. I have heard the possible cause is the fuel sending unit. If so where can I buy one of those? Any other input from you guys? Thansk for the help in advance! :)

dmayer84
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
There are 2 adjustment screws on the top of the sending unit. Has to be full to adjust it to full. My tank reads 1/2 full when empty and I gotta wait till its empty to fix it :mad:

Kyle's_prostar205
02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Ok I will check that out when I pull it of storage this spring. Thanks!!!

Sodar
02-08-2007, 04:42 PM
I can just about guarantee it is your sending unit... you can do several things to fix it. If you are replacing it, go to isspro.com and order directly from them in the length needed. If the float is simply getting stuck in the tube and is no longer able to slide easily up and down the tube, then take the bottom off the tube, pull the foam float out and sand the float down until it slides freely in the tube. I was told that the floats expand due to the chemicals used in gasolines. If it is an electrical problem, I have found two prime culprits... wire connections and corrosion on the sending unit terminal posts. If these things do not fix your problem, then ask JimN, because hehas forgotten more things than I will ever know!Good Luck!

PaulW
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
To adjust the two screws on top of the sending unit. Use an empty milk container and mark if , , , and then put gas into the container at the desired levels. Then adjust the screws till you get the reading you want at the gage. It?s a pain to get it right with the empty and full. This tip was given to me by the mechanic in my area.

dmayer84
02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
To adjust the two screws on top of the sending unit. Use an empty milk container and mark if , , , and then put gas into the container at the desired levels. Then adjust the screws till you get the reading you want at the gage. It?s a pain to get it right with the empty and full. This tip was given to me by the mechanic in my area.

Didnt even think of that Thanks. Will make it a lot easier now, and wont run out of gas again. Nothing like gettin stuck in the middle of Lake Champlain .:woohoo:

tommcat
03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
same boat, same problem for me. i took my sender out and found that the magnet that signals the electronics fell out of the float. i simply got it out of the bottom of the tank and used some epoxy to put it back in.
worked all summer for me and didnt cost a dime.

tom