PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

Wouter
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone,
am new to TT but have been reading these very useful threads for a while. I wonder if anyone experienced something similar to the problem I am experiencing:

Temperature gauge on my 1990 prostar 190 almost directly goes to 200F when I start the boat. I know this reading cannot be right because it is almost immediate (+/-ten seconds), because I can keep my hands on manifolds without discomfort and because gauge returns to 170F when I reverse the engine... Have checked and changed impeller, thermostat, temp send unit but problem remains... The temp needle also bounces a bit with cd player's base which makes me think: electrical, grounding problem!? Still the reversing thing is strange... What's a typical temp reading before starting the engine? Reads 140F on mine (with key in on position without actually starting the engine) which is much more than ambient temperature where I live (Belgium), is this normal? Does anyone have experience with similar problem? Has anyone tried one of these jeg's type thermometers you insert directly into the intake manifold? This could confirm if the problem is electrical or not...

Monte
02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Never had such a problem myself, but TMCno1, MYMC, Jim@BAWS, Erk, or Possibly JimN may have some insight. Good luck with it.
Bump for you...

ilikeitglacy
02-08-2007, 10:35 AM
i would say electrical but no more... than bienvenue to the site;)

TMCNo1
02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
You got me, but I would guess something electrical, like someone may have tied into the reverse lock out switch wiring or something like that.

Wouter
02-20-2007, 12:40 PM
It's not a major issue, cause I know the readings are wrong but still makes the gauge useless and won't have any notice if do run hot... Thnx for reading though

Danimal
02-20-2007, 01:16 PM
My temp in my '89 TriStar jumps to 200 when ever I turn on the bilge blower. It goes back down to 168 when I turn the blower off. Electrical.

cdcarve
02-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a weak ground. Loosen and clean your electrical conections.