PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo Advice and Harness.

fletch_n_me
08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Hey all. I want to yank the cassette player out of my 92 PS 205 and toss in a CD player. I currently have a Kenwood tape player with digital tuner (which is weak) and just want some way to avoid death metal or religious lambasting as those are the two stations I get in the middle of Wisconsin. I use Crutchfield for all of my car and home stuff but they can't help me with the correct harness to use. I am just getting a pioneer 2600 or something, nothing fancy but an upgrade. Does anyone know if I should stick to a Kenwood as it might have the same plugline? OR, does anyone have info on which harness these magnificent boats use?

JimN
08-03-2004, 12:41 PM
If you want a harness like a GM/Ford/Chrysler. etc to Kenwood adaptor, you won't find one. They aren't made. The color code is the same for most brands of car audio, however and it's just a matter of making good, reliable connections when the new one goes in. Not wire nuts, Scotch Locks or twisting and taping. Crimp caps and butt splices work fine, if crimped correctly.

Why not just add XM or Sirius? The Pioneer probably won't get much better reception in central WI, anyway. Have you thought about putting a better antenna in the boat? Harada has a couple of amplified ones that work really well in this application.

fletch_n_me
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
OK, I think I might just yank it and go to Best Buy to try to match the plug pattern. There are only a few patterns and I think I should be able to match it. I thought about sirius but I'm a deadhead and, from what I understand, if Hip Hop is your thing, XM is for you. Anyhoo, does that sound like a good idea? Also Jim, where can I find that signal amp, you got a website? I would love to get Cubs games as I can in my car up there.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Whatever, you get, I would suggest that you make sure it can play MP3s. I can't stand the radio, and it's nice to be able to get a tone of music out of one CD rather than changing them all the time. I've got a friend with XM. Haven't heard much Dead on there unfortunately.

fletch_n_me
08-03-2004, 02:58 PM
No...not much Dead at all. If I wanted to live on a steady diet of Eminem and Fitty Cent, I would be all about XM. Oh, and I would ask you to put your foot on the back of my next and unload one into the base of my skull. The Pioneer I am looking at plays MP3s and CD-R/RW so it in pretty solid. The Hip-Hop degradation of our great country is staying the hell off my boat and that is all I will say. Three things you will never hear on my PS, 'baby-daddy,' 'that's fly' and 'pass another forty.'

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 03:51 PM
LOL! MasterCraft DarkStar 205. :dance:

lakes Rick
08-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Wow am I old... I didnt understand a thing you said...

I am used to "Far out" " bummer" (which my dad had a heart attack when he found out what it really meant) and" dont bogart that joint, my friend"..........

JimN
08-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Fletch- if you're going to try to match another brand of stereo with your harness, don't bother. It won't work. Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion and all the rest use different plugs and even if the plug was the same, the pin configuration would be different. Think about it- why would they want to make it easy to switch the head unit and use their plug? It would be like plugging a GM radio into a Chrysler with no changes. I worked in 12 volt for a long time and worked on over 7000 cars. It ain't gonna happen.

If you want an amplified antenna, go to one of the better car audio shops near you. They should have it and it's not terribly expensive. I used the Harada antennas and they're available all over. Check your AM reception next time in the boat to see if it works. If AM sucks, you need to address the antenna, not the radio. I do agree, get something that plays MP3's do you don't have to change discs all the time. That way, you can burn your own discs with whatever you want to hear.

jake
08-04-2004, 08:30 AM
AM typically works off a "loop" antenna that is internal to the radio. If you've ever taken apart a radio of any kind, it's that really long spool of coper wire wrapped around a more dense core metal (iron or something similar). Changing your external (FM) antenna shouldn't affect AM reception.

JimN
08-04-2004, 08:57 AM
No, the AM comes in through the external antenna on a car stereo. There's really no room in a head unit for an AM antenna. Assuming the case of the radio is grounded(which it is), the AM signal would be doing the same thing as when you go under a bridge. AM is subject to a lot more interference than FM(lightning, metal-on-metal RF sources, sparks of any kind) and will not go through a grounded metal shell or frame. Go to a stereo store and try to get an AM station inside. If it has metal studs and a metal roof, AM reception will be really bad.

H20skeefreek
08-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Fletch, you may want to check out Sirius. They have a station called Jam Central. They only play the dead, phish and other jam bands. they occasionally place some dave matthews, but thats as "hip-hop" as it gets. you can go to sirius.com and sign up for a free 3 day preview on you computer to see if you like what they have to offer.

screw the FM or AM get satellite or a good quality MP3 player.

lakes Rick
08-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Ever notice that after the first Dave Mathews song all the rest sound the same?? Boring music from that guy...