PDA

View Full Version : New Slalom Ski

ggroller
02-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

I skied slalom daily when I was a teenager 15 years ago, then got out of the sport, and am now back in it.

I need a new ski.

My question is, do I invest in a really good ski and plan on using it for life?

Or, do I buy an intermediate ski and then buy a new ski as my skill level increases?

j2nh
02-07-2007, 07:48 AM
If I were you I would look at some of the new shaped skis (KD, Connelly). Easy to get up on and yet they are still aggressive enough to tackle a slalom course if you are up to it. I skied one last summer and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't my Monza but it was a higher performance fun ski .

Brent
02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
How much do you weight? how old are you? What speed do you think you will be skiing? are all factors.

Off hand I'd say a late model (05 or 06) system 8.

ggroller
02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Brent.

The vitals

33 years old

6'-0

200 lbs.

Ski at 30 - 32 mph.

ggroller
02-07-2007, 01:34 PM
If I were you I would look at some of the new shaped skis (KD, Connelly). Easy to get up on and yet they are still aggressive enough to tackle a slalom course if you are up to it. I skied one last summer and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't my Monza but it was a higher performance fun ski .

Buying a shaped ski is my thought at the moment. I just don't want to spend $300 to $400 on a shaped ski and outgrow it in a few years.

Mag_Red
02-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Brent.

The vitals

33 years old

6'-0

200 lbs.

Ski at 30 - 32 mph. Get that speed up to 38-40 MPH. When you can get through the course on a decent set of Combo skis, then and only then, should you be asking about slalom ski;)

No Skeez
02-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Do some reading on the HO Nitro. Everyone we've sold one to walks out of here not sure what to expect, but comes back with nothing but good things to say. Perfect for that 30-34 mph 15' off to 22' skier. Set up with double boots is a little out of your price range, but it would be a ski that you would probably be on for quite some time.

Just my :twocents:

ggroller
02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
First you need to get in shape like me ( check out the avatar) Get that speed up to 38-40 MPH. When you can get through the course on a decent set of Combo skis, then and only then, should you be asking about slalom ski;)

Oh, ok.

Yes sir.

ctkiteboarding
02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
i was in the same boat as you ( no pun intended).

i was on a 67 kd7000 and wanted to move up but im a free skier so a hi end 600 set up would not be worth it ,,

ck out ski it again.com i grabed a HO triumph and a set of approach bindings for under 350 ,

unfortunetly i broke my ribs kiting late fall and have not been able to ski on it

,but most everyone will agree its a great ski and perfect for free or what i call fun course sking,

good luck , enjoy R

pram
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
First you need to get in shape like me ( check out the avatar) Get that speed up to 38-40 MPH. When you can get through the course on a decent set of Combo skis, then and only then, should you be asking about slalom ski;)

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme oh man that made me laugh outloud

Mag_Red
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Oh, ok.

Yes sir.Just goofin with ya newbie;) Welcome to the madness:D

Jesus_Freak
02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, welcome.

I skied on a concept for years and found it to be a good beginner-mid ski. There have been a number of threads discussing slalom skis and where to start. Might want to search some, if you havent already.

EricB
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
GGroller;
Check out Ski-it Again .com. Good source for skis.

Brent
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Ski-it-again is good ,also check out D3skis.com & check under specials. I did a quick search & did not find any late model System 8's . For your weight & speed I'd go for a 70" standard slalom ski , can not give any advise on the shaped skis as I've never used any!

Good luck

baedriver
02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I bought a cdx from wileys last year and I think it is great. If you can find one you might want to take a look. Good luck

Brent
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
CDX is a great ski but they have come along way with carbon skis since then. Ideally test a few skis ,demo , borrow, buy & return what ever it takes until you find a ski that blows you away.

Where in the North east are you?

ggroller
02-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Just goofin with ya newbie;) Welcome to the madness:D

Ya, I know.

Me too.

ggroller
02-08-2007, 06:24 AM
CDX is a great ski but they have come along way with carbon skis since then. Ideally test a few skis ,demo , borrow, buy & return what ever it takes until you find a ski that blows you away.

Where in the North east are you?

Northeast PA. 10 miles North of Allentown.

Brent
02-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Try to find some water ski clubs, schools in your area that could help you make the best choice.

www.usawaterski.org/pages/clubs/regiondetail.asp?type=s&name=PA

No Skeez
02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Depending on when you are looking to make your purchase, see if you can demo a few skis from your local ski shop before actually pulling the trigger on one. We charge a nominal fee for a demo, and then if the customer decides to purchase a ski from us within x days, the demo fee comes off the purchase price. This allows us to guarantee the purchaser is both comfortable and happy with their new ski.

Hope this helps!

ggroller
02-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Depending on when you are looking to make your purchase, see if you can demo a few skis from your local ski shop before actually pulling the trigger on one. We charge a nominal fee for a demo, and then if the customer decides to purchase a ski from us within x days, the demo fee comes off the purchase price. This allows us to guarantee the purchaser is both comfortable and happy with their new ski.

Hope this helps!

That's exactly what I'd like to do. But, for the life of me I can't find a ski shop close to me?

Am I clueless? I tried searching the internet and came up empty?

No Skeez
02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Most manufacturers web sites will either have a dealer locator, or their 800 number. Call them up and ask them who is closest to you!