PDA

View Full Version : How would you explain love for the sport?

KCskier
01-10-2005, 12:12 AM
My husband and I went to the KC Sportshow this weekend with another couple friend of ours. They were intrigued by our passion for boating, but unable to understand unsure how someone could justify dropping $50,000+ on a boat. They said they must not "get it". I thought the whole gap between those who understand the passion of boating and those who don't was interesting. Was difficult to explain why we would want to make such an investment (i.e. a MC) in a boat. Thought I would post it just to see what you all think. What is the justification? What makes it worth it? What is being out on the water about for you and how would you explain it to friends who thought you were crazy to spend so much on a boat?

crdickey
01-10-2005, 01:56 AM
We do what we love, ski!

Itís cheaper than;

Flying your own plane
Car or boat racing
Class "A" 40' motor home
Classic hot rod building
Can you say Harley Davidson, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW

$50,000 for a boat divided by 1,000 hours over 10 years equals $50.00 per hour, for family of 4 is only $12.50 per person, per hour. That's an average of 2 hours a week for 10 years. Now we all can't go 2 hours per week, every week, but what about weekends and vacations.

After 10 years you can sell it! The average resale price for a 1994 Prostar 190 is $18,000. Subtract the resale value and reapply the above scenario and you cut it nearly in half. BTW in 1994 the Prostar didn't cost $50,000, so with a current resale value of $18,000 proves MC's hold their value!

How much does going to the movie theater cost these days for a family of 4?

milkmania
01-10-2005, 03:11 AM
I just recently bought my first Mastercraft....

It was not a huge investment, less than $10,000.00
but, it was a starting point for my family.
I've got a 7 year old son, a 9 year old daughter, and a 19 year old son.

about the same time, found an '01 30 foot travel trailer, again, less than $10,000 in really really great condition.

The youngest son is very athletic, and has no fear of water. I am very anxious to get him on skis this next season. Back on Labor Day we bought our first travel trailer, and have gone out camping quite a bit. We wanted something the family could do "as a family"....so, we load up the 4-wheelers on one truck/trailer, the boat on one truck, and the travel trailer on the third and have a blast....something for everyone to do!

My wife was totally against a boat, as she's very fearful of the water. But now she's seen the power and she's very acceptable to it. Awesome holeshot!

I enjoy hearing from members that say their wives make them go to the lake

so all together, I'm in.....tow vehicles and all less than $50,000.00 and I'm getting to watch my kids grow up.

that's the most important part in my opinion http://home.alltel.net/bhammon/kids.jpg

sizzler
01-10-2005, 03:29 AM
i ,like most of you work hard during the week and dont see my kids much..but of aweekend they get me 24/7.....because of the boat i have also given up golf........the kids are getting sick of me :uglyhamme

AirJunky
01-10-2005, 03:49 AM
I couldn't pay $50k either. But a 10 yr old Prostar fits the bill nicely. No boat payments, a good looking boat that always gets tons of compliments, and it out performs 9/10s of the other boats on the lake.

Andrť
01-10-2005, 08:54 AM
KC skier
Reading your post ,i don't see the words skiing,boarding,barefooting.
Those are SPORTS.I consider boating more like an activity with friends and family.
Even if i love my Mastercraft,my real passion is waterskiing not boating...

Andrť
01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Ooops...Must tell you that i live on a lake,so i may see things very differently then others who prepare stuff,tow the boat,launch for the day,have fun ,reload the boat,drive home,park that rig,unload,clean boat.
I just lower the boat, go ski ,raise the boat and go back to doing the dishes...

River Rat
01-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Most people have a limited budget (some more than others) so us that do, we need to chose our hobbies carefully. I for one believe that if you donít keep your kids busy someone else will! So I have chosen most of mine to include my kids. We have a 2002 travel trailer, 1998 MC, 1997 jet ski, and four wheelers (all but the trailer bought used) to hunt with in the winter time. If you add it up itís more than $50,000 but worth every dime. How do you justify it?? If something were to happen to me and me family today, nobody could say our family didnít have fun while we were here! :smile:

JEREMY79
01-10-2005, 10:23 AM
There is no way that I would pay 50,000 for a boat, truck,anything (except house). Not that I want to piss anyone off but do you reallize what you eventually pay for that boat? I'm sure no one has 50k in ther pocket. I know this isnt realistic

50,000 financed on 10 years At 8% intrest with no down payment

AMOUNT FINANCED
MONTHS
MONTHLY PAYMENTS
INTREST 8%
TOTAL INTREST
TOTAL PAY

now dont get me wrong I love watersports just as much as the next guy but 72,000----come on. I probobly have around 10k in my boat(counting rebuilding the motor) and I can have just as much fun on my boat as you if not more (because I'm not worried about making my payments!!!!!!!!!!!! :twocents:
sorry for the soap box

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Paid under $15,000 for my boat. Pay extra toward principal each month. Will have it paid off in about a year and-a-half. Can't wait for that day. If I were uber-rich, I'd buy a brand new one, but until that day, I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit.

I know, I know, they hold their value extremely well, but they do, like everything else, depreciate. That said, a friend of my father-in-law's used to, for many years, trade up on his Prostar 205 and take little to no hit (he even made money one year).

KCskier
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
It sounds like for some, it is more about family. For others, quality performance--getting the best ski boat out there. Interesting. For us, I think it is sort of an escape from work world--e-mail, cell phones, etc. The only time to be truly relaxed. I love hearing from you all--will be fun to share your thoughts with our friends. Keep it coming...! :)

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
I guess I should've responded to the question asked. For us, it was about slalom skiing. We were looking for closed bow to save some cash, but the open bow was available for a good price and we, for once, were forward thinking, and said, hey, we might have a family some day. We were looking for flat wakes and a strong pull. We've not been disappointed.

AirJunky
01-10-2005, 12:58 PM
For us, I think it is sort of an escape from work world--e-mail, cell phones, etc. The only time to be truly relaxed.

It's funny you say that. I agree it's an escape. A way to forget about the harder things in your life, work out some frustrations. But you should see my boat any evening after work. 5 or 6 skiers & 5 or 6 cell phones on board. We even have a wireless link aimed out over the water in case you'd like to take the laptop out for a little work on the boat.

JEREMY79
01-10-2005, 01:02 PM
thats what I was going to say. I dont know anyone (myself included) that would go the lake for a day and not take a cell phone. Technology is great. I have XM radio,cell phone,gps system on my boat. But I will agree about an escape from the rest of the world. Sorry if I made anyone mad.

Now for the question ask: it was a mix between slalom, wakeboarding, and just having fun with friends.

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
if I have to work... working on the boat is WAY better than working in the office.

My sister's ex-boyfriend once threatened to throw my cell phone off the chair lift. He said that we should be relaxing while we are snow-skiing. I told him I wouldn't be skiing if it wasn't for the cell phone, I'd still be in the office.

Anyway - I hijaacked the thread. sorry.

Like many, I bought a used boat. My wife & I have decided that nobody will do any hobbies (yes, skiing & boating are hobbies) unless the ENTIRE family can and is willing to do it. We know we won't always be at the same place at the same time. But at least, we can all make a couple runs/passes together each time we go out.

I'm keeping my eye open for a super deal on a used camper (motor-home would be better if at all afford'able).

Lance
01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Just to reiterate what others have said (kind of)... I bought my boat when I was fresh out of school and saw it as a way for me and some buddys to get away from the city and have some fun. Fast forward fifteen years and I still have the same boat and my wife and I view it as a way to get one-on-one time with the family without anyone else interfering. Granted our kids our only 3.5 and 2 years old but we are hoping this activity will be with us as long as the kids are in the house and that this will allow us to have more influence on them than others they might get. So far the kids love it which I hope continues.

I would reiterate what others have said about dropping $50k... it isn't necessary to spend that much money to get a really nice boat. I paid 14.5 for mine 15 years ago which was about 2/3 the price of a new MC at the time (which was a lot of money for a Navy Ensign) but it was some of the best money I have spent. The boat still serves us well and I am confident I could get at least 6 to 8 K for it. Not a bad investment in my mind.

Leroy
01-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I almost fit the profile, dropped $43k+taxes cash for 2001 230VRS in 2001. For me, I have several friends that have kept boats for 15-20 years (they still have them and they are in great shape) and I look at the long term picture. Same reason I bought a LX470 ($60K) and will keep it for 20+ years I hope. I like quality and like keeping things a long time. Put >200k miles on two Accords during my young non-boat saving days, man were those great cars! Didn't buy anything I couldn't afford it. Also depreciation isn't so quick on quality products so buying few years old or brand new isn't much different. Several people have shown examples of great value and sure they have enjoyed their boats just as much. There's people in 16ft runabouts having as much fun as any of us on the water! I say enjoy what you have and live every moment to the fullest!

JEREMY79
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
2nd that :)

Diesel
01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
There is no way that I would pay 50,000 for a boat, truck,anything (except house). Not that I want to piss anyone off but do you reallize what you eventually pay for that boat? I'm sure no one has 50k in ther pocket. I know this isnt realistic

50,000 financed on 10 years At 8% intrest with no down payment

AMOUNT FINANCED
MONTHS
MONTHLY PAYMENTS
INTREST 8%
TOTAL INTREST
TOTAL PAY

now dont get me wrong I love watersports just as much as the next guy but 72,000----come on. I probobly have around 10k in my boat(counting rebuilding the motor) and I can have just as much fun on my boat as you if not more (because I'm not worried about making my payments!!!!!!!!!!!! :twocents:
sorry for the soap box

If someone has to finance a 50k boat they have no business buying said boat. When you get right down to it, it is all relative. To some 50k cash is nothing. Also, many people think like Leroy and plan for the long term.

I have had my boat for 10 years, bought it new in 95 and I could sell it today for 2/3s of what I paid for it originally. Mastercrafts are one of the only boats you can buy that are investments.........

east tx skier
01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Well, that makes me feel a little better about my TIVO stock. It hasn't lost a third of its value ... yet. :)

I'd agree that it's an investment, but not a monetary one. It's money well spent on family fun and time together doing something that everyone, hopefully, enjoys. If you look at it that way, then the gains are tremendous. But from a strict money in versus money out investment standpoint, I don't think any boat is a good investment. Just my $.02.

That said, even without the improvements I've made, my boat's average resale quote on NADA is still more than I paid for it. :banana:

Leroy
01-12-2005, 02:33 PM
The stock I sold to buy the boat and LX470 is worth less now than the depreciation on either vehicle. :eek:

I would have done best buying as many Maristars as I could and selling now! ;)

Doug; Good luck on TIVO, I've bought and sold many times. It's quite a ride! We (RCA) design, manf and sell the product, which everyone loves!

east tx skier
01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Its been a bit of a ride so far. Get those Tivo/Netflix boxes out there. Movies on demand, who are we, as Americans, to refuse.

No matter what I buy, Starbucks always keeps in in the plus column.

jayderwin1
01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
i am with you jeremry79 there is not point in buying a brand new 50k boat i love the sport of slalom but i can do the same thing in my 6k boat as someone could do in there 50k boat basically the only thing i don't have is the perfect pass.

JEREMY79
01-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm glad some agree with me. You guys are right for some 50k is nothing, and if it was nothing to me I would have a 50k boat too :D
You guys are right Perfect Pass is the only thing missing, and that can be added?? right? Now what happens when someone scratches your 50k boat? or burns a hole in the seat with a cigarette?
:eek3:

tex
01-12-2005, 05:06 PM
i love my 197; but it is a thrill to get back in my buddy's 1980 s&s and rock! it is like driving a go-kart!

Lance
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey lets not knock the guys that can drop $50k on a new boat (especially those that can do it every few years)... because without them we wouldn't be able to get our perfectly good used boats.

As others have said, some can justify this kind of money for a part time hobby, others can justify it only if it their primary activity, and others can't justify it at all. To those that can afford it... more power to you.

Keep on buying (and selling) them so the rest of us can get our 'new' boat.
Lance

east tx skier
01-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Jeremy, yes, you can install PP on an old boat.

I imagine that scratches and cigarette burns get the exact same reaction on a brand new $50K boat as they get with my 12 year old beauty.

Lance, you're exactly right. I'm certainly not knocking the guys that buy the $50K boat. More power to 'em.

Ric
01-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey lets not knock the guys that can drop $50k on a new boat (especially those that can do it every few years)... because without them we wouldn't be able to get our perfectly good used boats.

As others have said, some can justify this kind of money for a part time hobby, others can justify it only if it their primary activity, and others can't justify it at all. To those that can afford it... more power to you.

Keep on buying (and selling) them so the rest of us can get our 'new' boat.
Lance
Glad to Help! :uglyhamme

Jerseydave
01-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I've been waterskiing since I was 8.

Owned 6 boats in the last 24 years. (2 inboards)

Always had a boat every summer since I was 17.
Never missed a summer on the water, even with a cast on my leg for 10 weeks!

Now with 2 kids, I want them to have the same fun on the water that I did as a kid. (that was behind a 16 foot Starcraft, 65 HP O/B)

Boating and skiing are great family sports. Oh, and we go camping too.
(Currently looking for a campsite on the water for the summer)

You only go around once, have a good time while you're here. :)

Dave (Future X30 owner)

dmac
01-12-2005, 09:40 PM
KC - being on the water is addictive. It becomes a passion as many have already said. My preference is to leave the cell phone behind because when I am out, I am out. Whether you are skiing or whatever, being on the water is top shelf.

As far as committing a chunk of change to a boat, I am relying on it holding value. After all, it is a MasterCraft. Or, as we learned in the links from Reto's posts, a Meisterschaft.

Professor
01-13-2005, 09:28 PM
KC - being on the water is addictive. It becomes a passion as many have already said. My preference is to leave the cell phone behind because when I am out, I am out. Whether you are skiing or whatever, being on the water is top shelf.

As far as committing a chunk of change to a boat, I am relying on it holding value. After all, it is a MasterCraft. Or, as we learned in the links from Reto's posts, a Meisterschaft.

I agree. And it isn't about how much it cost...

roddydog
01-29-2005, 09:50 PM
I agree. And it isn't about how much it cost, other sports can get much more expensive (e.g. SCCA motor rebuild every 6 months aprox. $8,000). I have tried other sports but keep coming back to skiing (tricks & especially slalom). We do use a heater and hot H20 shower to make winter a little more comfortable. Nothing else keeps me in shape like skiing. Great for my health. What is great health worth?
I honestly believe that , if you have to explain anything as simple as boating (skiing, boardingetc etc) to someone, then it is just not worth it because "they just don't get it ..............PERIOD........It's sort of explaining a joke after the punch line......." so the guy says...." It just does not work.
The people that do not get the idea of getting away(whether you want to spend 10K or 50K) never will, let them stay at home with their remote.

jjsosnowski
01-29-2005, 10:16 PM
How can you put a price on happiness. Besides,life is short. Enjoy while you can.

whitedog
01-29-2005, 10:30 PM
KC, For us its about being away and spending time with the family. I started skiing at 8 and boating when I was about 2. Have been married 20 years and wife was a non boater when we meet. After one summer she was addicted and now makes a point that we go every weekend. Our teenage kids also have been skiing from a young age and would rather spend time with mom and dad on the boat than with friends of at other events in the summer. How do you put a price on that. Currently on third boat since I got married. Never lost $ on any of them, managed to keep them in good condition and always buy used.

SteveO
01-29-2005, 10:39 PM
I have sponged of friends the last several years, but I am going to make the dive and buy a previously owned 209 within the next few weeks because my daughter is 6 and caught the ski bug last summer on a buddy's boat. Everyone hit the nail on the head that it is great exercise, combined with an awesome family activity. My best friend has a teen who loves the water and spending time with his dad skiing and boarding. Seeing your kid in the water behind the boat having a blast is better than a new PB. :steering:

Andrť
01-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Congrats on the new baby!
"I have sponged of friends..." Does that mean you were boatless and skiing out of friends boats?
Excuse my French!

MasterCrafting
01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I couldn't pay $50k either. But a 10 yr old Prostar fits the bill nicely. No boat payments, a good looking boat that always gets tons of compliments, and it out performs 9/10s of the other boats on the lake.
I coulnt have said it better myself

SteveO
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Congrats on the new baby!
"I have sponged of friends..." Does that mean you were boatless and skiing out of friends boats?
Excuse my French!
Oui Oui, I was a "sponge" and was boatless and skiing with friends

georgea0731
01-31-2005, 10:58 PM
Agree with so many, the activity sells itself. Now, how do you justify $50K? That's a lot hard to do. No matter, it's where we put your priorities. I grow up dreaming of a Mastercraft and after 10 years of boating (deck boat w/outboard), got one, 2 yrs later upgraded and last year upgraded again to an X7. My father in law thinks I'm one of those crazies to spend that kind of money while he has a 10 year old Maxium and has lots of fun too. My wife says we've had 3 boats in the same time she's had the same car (11 years - 190,000 miles).
Hipe, ego, standout, looks, styling, wake, performance, on & on!
I'd recommed a promo boat or ski school boat for those trying to save and still have a newer MC.

atlfootr
02-01-2005, 08:49 AM
KC skier

Reading your post, i don't see the words skiing, boarding, barefooting.
Those are SPORTS.I consider boating more like an activity with friends and family.
Even if i love my Mastercraft,my real passion is waterskiing not boating...
Andre, and others ... BAREFOOT'N is my passion! :woohoo:
As, anyone who knows me can a test too. I've tried everything else, but somehow go'n 45mph on jus' the soles of your feet - there's nothing quite like it. :headbang:

For the few and the brave who have attempted it, others will never understand why :noface:

Less injuries, fewer crashes and more the glory then ever! :toast:

atlfootr
02-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Oui Oui, I was a "sponge" and was boatless and skiing with friendsHey SteveO,

After read'n this, thought you could use a newer Avatar.
:uglyhamme