PDA

View Full Version : I took the plunge

jlf
02-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I finally took the plunge into the syber world of MySpace. I created a page for myself over the weekend, man that takes some work and I still don't feel it really represents me. Check it out This is still a work in progress.http://www.myspace.com/cjothen
I am open to advice, oh and while your there if you ask to be my friend I'll accept you.

I mainly started the page to keep up with my brother who is stationed in Germany, he rarely answers e-mails anymore so at least this way I can talk with him. Also Lance and I are back in the same situation as last summer, still looking for that third person to come and enjoy our boat so I was hoping that by doing some local searches I might be able to produce some friends that may want to come.

jlf
02-05-2007, 09:24 AM
by the way a few of you from here have some pictures up on my site. If you want them down please tell me and I'll remove them ASAP

chudson
02-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Never seen "my space" before didn't know what it was all about, pretty cool!!! You did a great job, congrats!!! :cool:

Mag_Red
02-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I hope we don't loose you like we did Wakebroad. I hear that place can get addicting.:)

jlf
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
It is sort of addicting but TMC was my first addiction so I'll always come back!! Besides I'd miss you all!!

Mag_Red
02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Just looked at your site............very cool!:cool: Love the slide show with the captions!:headbang: Lots of Mag Mania pics too!!

jlf
02-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Still trying to figure all this computer stuff out. It is really hard to teach on old dog new tricks. We didn't do much on computers when I was in high school so all this networking stuff and uploading crap is hard for me to figure out.

I'm pretty proud of myself though I did my whole page by myself. Still have lots to figure out. The whole my space thing is kind of cool, but scary when you think about what some people put out there.

jlf
02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Okay so I know it's possible to use your own pictures as a background on a my space page. I know very little about computers and programming stuff. I understand that if I have the pictures hosted somewhere on the web, say photobucket or a similar place, it is possible to write the html codes to make it my background. Anyone want to help me out here?

ilikeitglacy
02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
pretty cool site, found out you a lady:cool: and one day i'll speak english just like the nickelback dude8p

Rapunzl
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Good Job, jlf!!

I just created a MySpace site a couple of weeks ago (http://www.myspace.com/1rapunzl) and had a blast doing it! It took some navigating and thinking, but it was fun getting creative.

If you are worried about strange people out there viewing your site (and yes...there are a lot of really strange people out there!!) you can set your site so that it's private...the only people who can view it are those who you allow. People who want to view actually have to ask for your permission. Go to your "profile" information and you'll find the area where you can make the site private.

As for the computer...it's never too late to learn. I had to learn about the internet and how to navigate around when I started grad school. I was pretty good with some things on the computer, but never really had the chance to play around on the web. But most of my classes required access to the net for classroom forums. So I learned really quick just what the computer can do. Sit yourself down and spend some time alone...you'll be amazed at how much you can pick up just by goofing around!

I am forcing myself to learn about electronics at warp speed...I decided that I didn't want to end up like my mother-in-law (God, love her...). She can just about handle the tv remote!

bepresto
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
just sent a request to you and kyle.

Rapunzl
02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
By the way, ilikeitglacy...

B****en' truck! We own a sleek, black Ford F-150 with a hefty lift and gorgeous rims...definitely a conversation piece. We always get stopped by lookers when we're out with it. I love driving it...all those "little cars" on the freeway become speed bumps!

My motto: "Silly boys, trucks are for chicks!!"

Okay...back to computers...

jlf
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Good Job, jlf!!

I just created a MySpace site a couple of weeks ago (http://www.myspace.com/1rapunzl) and had a blast doing it! It took some navigating and thinking, but it was fun getting creative.

If you are worried about strange people out there viewing your site (and yes...there are a lot of really strange people out there!!) you can set your site so that it's private...the only people who can view it are those who you allow. People who want to view actually have to ask for your permission. Go to your "profile" information and you'll find the area where you can make the site private.

As for the computer...it's never too late to learn. I had to learn about the internet and how to navigate around when I started grad school. I was pretty good with some things on the computer, but never really had the chance to play around on the web. But most of my classes required access to the net for classroom forums. So I learned really quick just what the computer can do. Sit yourself down and spend some time alone...you'll be amazed at how much you can pick up just by goofing around!

I am forcing myself to learn about electronics at warp speed...I decided that I didn't want to end up like my mother-in-law (God, love her...). She can just about handle the tv remote!
I am not too worried about people seeing things about me, there isn't much there that people here haven't seen or heard already. If someone wants to find me, they will. Tried to check your page, seems I must know your last name or e-mail address and since I don't know either I was REJECTED.

pilot02
02-08-2007, 11:19 AM
For what it's worth... I'm there as well. Finally redid the profile a little last night...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=136846705

jlf
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Page looks good, but please tell me how you got that pic as a background. I want to use one of my own pics. Thanks for the add.

pilot02
02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
I had to set up a profile at photobucket.com to host the picture (needed a url address) and then used the page generator on the following site to put it together. http://www.123mycodes.com/

The biggest problem was trying to figure out which colors to use for the fonts so that they can be read. I've still got some work to do in that dept and that is a pet peeve of mine on peoples sites. Too many of them, you can't see the writing to click on any of the links.

PS: You're welcome!

jlf
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Hey thanks, now if a computer itiot like me can figure this out is the question. I agree with you on the colors that are hard to read. I think mine is like that sometimes until you scroll the page. Oh well, I'm still learning. This has become more a test for myself to see if I can learn to do some of this stuff. I feel pretty good when I figure crap out, it's the simple things that please me.

jlf
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
ohh crap double post, i hate that when it happens

Kyle's_prostar205
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice page JLF, Bpresto and Pilot. Thanks for the add jlf! Myspace can be just a little time consuming becasue there is soo much you can do to customize your page. I really like all of yours!

jlf
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I checked out both Kyle's and bepresto's pages. Nice work, you are right there is so much you can do to customize it. I was so proud of myself because I had finally found a wakeboarding background I got it applied to my page all by myself I thought I was so cool then I checked out bepresto's page and holy crap I thought I was looking at my same page again. Sorry man I had to change my background, I'm sure a thousand people use that background but man I couldn't sort of know someone who was using it so I had to change mine. I am going to try to figure out how to get one of my own pictures as the background as Pilot has done. His page looks nice and I'd love nothing more than to have a pic of my sweet boat as my background. Truley an original page then.

Kyle's_prostar205
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I am in the process of doing the same thing as Pilot! I like the creativity and you are right...it is an original!!

pilot02
02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Looks like I started a trend.....;-)

That was why I'd left mine just as the generic page for so long. I kept seeing all of these (what I thought were nice) profiles and then a couple weeks later I'd find someone with the identical profile.

pram
02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I have been working on a MySpace for a while now also Have a look let me know what ya all think

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=104174792

Your guys (and gal) pages look awesome

Leroy
02-08-2007, 08:58 PM
JLF Nice site! I have a site, but only to understand how it worked!

http://www.myspace.com/lwignot