PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the newest HO Monza

crdickey
01-09-2005, 11:27 AM
This has just arrived from HO. It has the revised (blunted) tip and new style fin clamp. The bindings I've mounted are Goode Powershell-4's.

6ballsisall
01-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Looks sweet!! let us know how it skis!

crdickey
01-09-2005, 11:31 AM
More Pic's

André
01-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice...Looks real narrow at the tail! Where you on HO before?

Mag_Red
01-09-2005, 11:34 AM
HOw are those hard shell bindings??? I'm just now getting used to two full bindings.

André
01-09-2005, 11:35 AM
I like the graphics...Less aggressive. Are those bindings holding to the ski by Velcro?

crdickey
01-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Notice how they have finaly put the wing screws on the correct side for an upside down wing.

crdickey
01-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Note the adjustment screws are protected so when you tighten the clamp it clamps only the fin and not the adjustment screws.

André
01-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Mag
Good luck! After 15 years of rear toe plate and a couples of tries with 2 full boots,i want back to RTP.I probably should have been more patient...

crdickey
01-09-2005, 11:56 AM
They are attached using 3M interlock. Mushroom heads on mating surfaces locks the together. Both boots are attached to a plate (bolted), then the plate is attached to the ski with the interlock. In a hard fall the plate will seperate from the ski with your feet safely locked in position. There are fron and rear puzzle pieces which allow you to reposition and attach the boot plate in exactly the same position on the ski. The hardshell boots offer unsurpast control of the ski and the liners are heat moldeable at home so they fit your feet perfectly, like the most comfortable shoes you have ever work. No more feet cramping! Powershell-4's allow you to cant (pivot) both your fron and rear boot for comfort of stance as well as better edge control, this is a must for the "New school" slalom skiing style.

Once you try them, you'll never look back.

The ski must be flat and smooth where the bindings attach, so if the top of the ski has a formed (CDX HO) surface a different attachment method is required.

http://www.goode.com/wspowershell.html#intro

crdickey
01-09-2005, 12:09 PM
They added relief in the fin are to better channel water past the fin. Better tracking cross course and better hold in the turns.

crdickey
01-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Nice...Looks real narrow at the tail! Where you on HO before?

No, I have been on a Goode 9534 65.5" 160 AMP, GREAT SKI !!! (It's for sale.) It's just as narrow as the Monza. The Monza is suppose to ski differently than any other HO ski and more like the Goode, but better and faster (if that's possible because the Goode acceleration is phenomenal)

I have picked up 15lbs. since I bought the Goode and now need a bit longer ski now, a little longer ski is less work and will still turn just as well. I have heard a lot about the Monza and decided to buy it. I had a 2000 CDX from HO, which I liked, but it's quite heavy compared to the Monza @ 3.4 lbs and the Goode @ 2.9 lbs. My Goode ski with hard shell boots weighs less than the CDX blank. The HO Monza is a bit heavier than the good but still...3.4 lbs.!

I bought my Monza from Mike at Mastercraft of Charlotte, he gave me a great deal and great service! mike@mastercraftofcharlotte.com

Leroy
01-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Looks very aggressive, and you can pop off and go snow skiing!

I would guess the control is great. Have you popped out yet? Does it take much?

André
01-09-2005, 03:54 PM
You must have to get back on the platform to "reassemble"...i guess.
Expansive stuff...

John B
01-09-2005, 04:18 PM
They added relief in the fin are to better channel water past the fin. Better tracking cross course and better hold in the turns.

I have a new Sixam and they did the same thing with the fin.

crdickey
01-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a new Sixam and they did the same thing with the fin.
Kinda makes you wonder where these ideas start and why the good ones don't get patented.

Mag_Red
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I wonder if I could cut a few reliefs with the trusty ole router???

H20skeefreek
01-09-2005, 11:03 PM
since we are sharing.

my birthday/christmas from the in-laws....

crdickey
01-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Looks very aggressive, and you can pop off and go snow skiing!

I would guess the control is great. Have you popped out yet? Does it take much?

It takes about the same amount of effort for the plate to release as it would in a hard out the front crash. What's good about this system is that when it does release, the whole plate comes off with both feet safe and still in line securely attached. I rubber boots if one foot stays in you twist you ankle, leg or knee like a helicopter. All the normal pressure on the ski while skiing is pressing the boots on the plate, the release is when sufficient force pulls it away from the tip or tail.

crdickey
01-10-2005, 12:44 AM
since we are sharing.

my birthday/christmas from the in-laws....

"He attack the course with a Vengence!"

Looks great! Have you been able to try it yet? How do you like the fit of the Approach bindings?

crdickey
01-10-2005, 12:52 AM
You must have to get back on the platform to "reassemble"...i guess.
Expansive stuff...

Yes, you do have to get on the platform to reassemble, but you have to do the same with all the high end lace up bindings. On the platform, open the laces, squirt in more soap, jam in your foot, pinch, ouch, cramps in your feet.

These have buckles like inline skates, no soap, no pinching, no cramping feet, no ouch .... SKI LONGER, SKI LONGER, SKI LONGER, SKI LONGER, SKI LONGER....

They are about $50.00 more than a pair of HO's Animals or Approach bindings.

H20skeefreek
01-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Looks great! Have you been able to try it yet? How do you like the fit of the Approach bindings?

They are actually Phantom bindings, just before they changed the name to approach. I got the ski in September or early October, so i've got 3 or 4 ski's in on them. they are great, but a big adjustment over a adjustable frount and a RTP. I'll be skiing tomorrow, it'll be my first time since the first weekend in November.

crdickey
01-10-2005, 01:12 AM
They are actually Phantom bindings, just before they changed the name to approach. I got the ski in September or early October, so i've got 3 or 4 ski's in on them. they are great, but a big adjustment over a adjustable frount and a RTP. I'll be skiing tomorrow, it'll be my first time since the first weekend in November.
Lucky dog! I wish I could go!

It's been raining for so long her in So. Cal, I'm thinking of doing a Amazon search for "Do it yourself Ark building" or "Ark building for Dummies"

crdickey
01-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Couple more pic's of the rounded tip modification. The first Monza's had a more pointed tip (which looked better) but some were worried the point was dangerous. Let me tell you, the modified one, as with most skis, will still give you a gash if it hits you.

Ralph Magnuson
01-16-2005, 09:42 AM
I have yet to ride one, but the tip change is pretty aggressive for HO. The phantom never amounted to what HO wanted. I felt it was too aggresive ,if there is such a thing. The fin set up is just like my X5 by D3. I could never ride an Ho, since I tend to be more mid to fawrd skier. Ho works great for those who ride slightly back. What line length are you running? Did Ho give you any tail, depth, and length calibrations to use? Nice ski ,enjoy

H20skeefreek
01-16-2005, 10:15 AM

well, once again they were great, but I forgot to take lube, so I used some hand sanatizer from the car instead. How did that work you ask......NOT TOO GOOD. Other than that, i'm still lovin' the ski and bindings. Next time though, I'll get the next larger size.

phecksel
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
HOw are those hard shell bindings??? I'm just now getting used to two full bindings.
TOO DANGEROUS! We've had a few serious injuries in our club from those, including Norway's national champ unable to defend his title due to spiral fracture. Almost everybody has gone back to high wraps.

Ric
01-18-2005, 12:30 PM
TOO DANGEROUS! We've had a few serious injuries in our club from those, including Norway's national champ unable to defend his title due to spiral fracture. Almost everybody has gone back to high wraps.
even Jagers? I had been reading that they were so well designed and had not read of any injuries?????

crdickey
01-19-2005, 02:54 AM

A spiral fracture is caused by twisting motion and can only happen if the skier has one foot still attached to the ski. This same injury happens with one rubber high wrap and a toe loop. Double rubber bindings can be just as bad because you can have one foot come out and the other helicopters (Jennifer Leachman). Double hard shells from Goode are mounted to a single plate (shown in my Monza pictures) and if you fall hard enough to release, the plate comes off the ski and both feet remain in their boots attached to the single plate, in-line and safe. Jagers boots are independent but when one releases they both come off the ski, one can not stay attached with out the other. Fogmann's are similar to Jagers. However, Ski-tec hard shell boots have independent release mechanisms where as each are set individually and this can be a problem where one foot stays attached and helicopters.

When it come down to it, you can get hurt in this sport no doubt, but my worst injury was on an HO XVT with double high wraps, I went out the front (flying like superman) both feet came out safely and then the ski whacked me in the head. It took 23 stitches to close the cut in my head!

And NO, most are not going back to high wraps, especially the younger Pro's, Marcus Brown, Chris Rossi, Jamie Beauchesne, Will Asher. In fact I'd venture to say 80% of the Pro's who are winning are in hardshells.