PDA

View Full Version : Can Beagle's swim?

jimmer2880
02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Can beagles swim? My wife & I are looking at adopting a 2-year old beagle & were wondering if we were going to have to buy the little guy a life-jacket?

dapicatti
02-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Good for you for considering adopting a dog. I am not sure about beagles, our adopted chows swim a little if we force it. They do better with the lifevests, just gives them a little more flotation.
I was surprised that they didn't try to take them off. Let us know when you decide.

TMCNo1
02-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Can beagles swim? My wife & I are looking at adopting a 2-year old beagle & were wondering if we were going to have to buy the little guy a life-jacket?

We had a Basset Hound that would swim out to the boat, especially if you left her behind and didn't take her, other than that she disliked being in the water. As long as she rode in the bow she was happy. If I gave her a bath in the lake beside the pier and when I suds her up and rinsed her, she was swimming the whole time, then would stay mad at me for 2 hours unless I gave her a reward.

Maristar210
02-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Is a fat dog heavy?

Jerseydave
02-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Since a beagle is a hunting dog, my guess would be yes but don't hold me to it.

Either way, a doggie vest is a good idea in case the little guys gets tired out.

Don't let him drink that Potomac water :)

-Dave

Jerseydave
02-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Jimmer,

Slight threadjack, but why do you back your boat onto your lift?
Wouldn't it be easier to pull in forward? What about possible flooding on the river?

Leroy
02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Mine could, but not their most fond thing to do. Running away chasing a rabbit and sucking eggs are their worst habits, but guessing not many have hen houses anymore!

Beagles are really sweet dogs!

WilliM1940
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Independent little guys, like to think for themselves, not the most obedient. Live to chase rabbits or females. With a fine nose ours could smell one a mile away. Ours also loved to eat cat poo.

C36
02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I would agree with what other Beagle owners have said here (WilliM1940 & Leroy) especially about having a mind of their own, running away , and not being the most obedient.

Shown below is a picture of the Beagle I grew up with (we had him for over 10 years) - we adopted him (at age 2). He was a great dog inside the house and a great dog for a young boy (very gentle little dog and he would sleep on my bed every night). :)

But outside he had to be a line (run or leash) the whole time. This picture actually suprises me as I do not remember him being allow off leash a lot (except for the times when he bolted out the door and we would spend the rest of the day trying to track him down).

As for swimming, ours loved to swim - every time the boat got within 1/2 mile of the shore he would leap out and swim for shore! :rolleyes:

I really loved that little dog, but the Weimeraner we have now is a way better (obedient) family dog and the best dog we have ever had (both inside and outside) - but he is three times the size of our old Beagle.

Good luck with your decision.

jimmer2880
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Jimmer,

Slight threadjack, but why do you back your boat onto your lift?
Wouldn't it be easier to pull in forward? What about possible flooding on the river?

No problem on the TJ. I back my boat into the lift because my dock is a floating dock. Since the majority of our boat's weight is in the rear, and the dock has the most floatation in the closed center of the dock, the dock floats much better when the boat is backed in.

Once you get used to it, it's not very hard to back it in.

jimmer2880
02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I wish I would have read the leash/runaway comments sooner. Ohh well - the little guy was just too cute not to bring home. He's already run away twice. :mad: I'm still getting used to having a "runner" again (my Dalmation was a runner).

Seems to be real good with the kids & my other dog. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Hoosier Bob
02-05-2007, 12:13 AM
They get a scent and they are gone! Some will run themselves to death, literally! keep them close. As far as swimming? Why not? Like anything else try it somewhere safe before the middle of the lake.;)

shepherd
02-05-2007, 12:46 AM
All dogs can swim. Whether certain dogs like it or not is a different story. My golden retriever could swim (of course), but preferred to just wade and lay around in the shallow water. He was lazy... :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new pup.

C36
02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Congratulations on your new dog!

We set up a run (cable strung between two points with a leash on a roller pully) at both the house and cottage. This afforded him some freedom, but kept him close by.

M-Funf
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM
They get a scent and they are gone!

Yeah, our beagle was the same way. He also really liked eggs and smelly shoes. He'd steal the eggs from our dairy box on the day the milkman delivered and bury them in the back yard. He'd steal shoes or socks and bury those, too.

He did like to swim, though...

C36
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
...Once you get used to it, it's not very hard to back it in.

Sorry to keep the treadjack going but I just have to ask: :o

1) Could you provide a brief description of what technique you use to "back it in".

I extended our dock so that our old boat (O/B) and the new-to-us MasterCraft can both be left in. With the longer dock we can come in and u-turn to leave the new-to-us MasterCraft moored bow out into the lake (for quick sets and to keep the nose into the rough water - when it happens) so we really do not try to back up that much. But the only way I have found to steer in reverse is a short pop of throttle, then when the boat is coasting (in neurtral) gently steer with the rudder. As the boat slows, repeat throttle pop, and steer in neutral. Repeat as required (unless things get too twisted and then I bail using forward).

Do you use the same technique or something different?

If I leave the boat in reverse (even at idle) the pull to starboard (from the prop) overpowers the ability to steer in reverse.

2) Your floating lift is awesome! Your water freezes, right? Do you leave the foating lift in all winter or drag it up on shore? Must be a bit of a job dragging it out in the fall and floating it again in spring, no?

Sorry - couldn't help myself, I just had to ask. :D

LakePirate
02-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Check out those Tri-Tronics training devices. It is my Bluetick's remote control. He runs (imagine that), but with a little electro-therapy he will come hustling back to the house. Dogs that are bred to hunt are some of the most loyal dogs that you will ever have.

dapicatti
02-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Post some pics soon. I am sure he will be a great companion.

jimmer2880
02-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Check out those Tri-Tronics training devices. It is my Bluetick's remote control. He runs (imagine that), but with a little electro-therapy he will come hustling back to the house. Dogs that are bred to hunt are some of the most loyal dogs that you will ever have.

Thanks. We have some innotek collars from when we had my damnation (I mean - dalmation). It worked wonders on him, but he always had to have it on him otherwise he woudl bolt at the drop of a hat. We only needed it on my britney spaniel/stray a little-bit. Now, she's the best dog I've ever owned.

They have changed him quite a bit. However, momma says this dog isn't a good fit. So - he's currently up for adoption again. We'll keep him until we can find a good home. Until then - he is getting better & is so darn cute! If only I can keep him from waking up the kids at 4am (when I get up for work), he might just have a home with us.

Also - something that I think is very odd. He will pee in his own bed. I don't mean a little, but a good soaking. We brought his towel with us from his old family (he is 2 years old). I had always heard that a dog won't pee in their bed.

Here are the pic's

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/Carter3.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/Carter2.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/jimmer2880/Carter1.jpg

jimmer2880
02-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Sorry to keep the treadjack going but I just have to ask: :o

1) Could you provide a brief description of what technique you use to "back it in".

I extended our dock so that our old boat (O/B) and the new-to-us MasterCraft can both be left in. With the longer dock we can come in and u-turn to leave the new-to-us MasterCraft moored bow out into the lake (for quick sets and to keep the nose into the rough water - when it happens) so we really do not try to back up that much. But the only way I have found to steer in reverse is a short pop of throttle, then when the boat is coasting (in neurtral) gently steer with the rudder. As the boat slows, repeat throttle pop, and steer in neutral. Repeat as required (unless things get too twisted and then I bail using forward).

Do you use the same technique or something different?

If I leave the boat in reverse (even at idle) the pull to starboard (from the prop) overpowers the ability to steer in reverse.

2) Your floating lift is awesome! Your water freezes, right? Do you leave the foating lift in all winter or drag it up on shore? Must be a bit of a job dragging it out in the fall and floating it again in spring, no?

Sorry - couldn't help myself, I just had to ask. :D

It sounds like you have a pretty-good system.

I usually do a gentle counter-clockwise sweep into the area. Then turn the wheel full-left. Then, it's just bumping it in & out of forward/reverse to keep it going where you want it. It's not like backing up an i/o for sure. More like backing a car on an ice-rink - you can make small corrections, but you'll never be able to make major directional changes (other than forward/reverse). Just learn to use the driver's side pull in reverse to your advantage.

For the dock/lift - yes, our water freezes - and being on a river, nothing left on the bank should be non-replace'able as if the river rises while there's ice on it - the ice will strip the banks clean. Our banks are about 25-30' tall - so there's no dragging up. I built a trailer for the dock & pull it each fall with my old '88 1/2 ton pickup (go Chevy!). The dock & lift only weigh about 9,000 lbs, so it's not that difficult.

C36
02-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Jimmer2880:

Thanks for the explanation on backing up your boat and the one on your floating boat lift in/out - at 9,000 lbs I hope you do not have to haul it on the highway :steering: :eek3:

That beagle is cute - sorry to hear that the Beagle is a bed wetter. I have never heard of this before (neither had my wife). But this (http://www.beaglesandbuddies.com/index.php3?topic=training2) article hints that if a dog was confined to its bed and not house trained and/or let out often enough it could have developed a habit of bed wetting. Hope it works out for all involved (including the Beagle).

jimmer2880
02-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Jimmer2880:

Thanks for the explanation on backing up your boat and the one on your floating boat lift in/out - at 9,000 lbs I hope you do not have to haul it on the highway :steering: :eek3:

That beagle is cute - sorry to hear that the Beagle is a bed wetter. I have never heard of this before (neither had my wife). But this (http://www.beaglesandbuddies.com/index.php3?topic=training2) article hints that if a dog was confined to its bed and not house trained and/or let out often enough it could have developed a habit of bed wetting. Hope it works out for all involved (including the Beagle).

Thanks for the quote. My wife spoke with a beagle rescue yesterday (just to see if they could put his name on a board somwhere - but they have like 120 beagles to be rescued :eek: ). They suggested putting him on a leash & keeping him next to us all day long (especially when he's in the house). After doing that for a day - he's a different dog. Amazing what a quick snap of the choker collar does. We had to remove all the towels from his kennel - but after that, no more accidents.

And - no - we're not doing any highway miles with the 18'wide by 24' long lift dock :D . Only about 1/10 of a mile to "higher ground".