PDA

View Full Version : Electrically heated seats under new skins??

Lance
01-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Has anyone thought about heating their seats using the same equipment used in some new cars that have electrically heated seats? I know in a boat there is the added element of wet clothing on the seats but with a 12 volt system and the right protection a person should be able to reduce that risk sufficiently. I would think heating the driver and observers seat would be much appreciated.

Any thoughts on whether this would work and/or where to get the gear? How much of a load would this be on the alternator.

Now would be a good time for many (including myself) that are re-skinning their upholstery.

Thoughts?

H20skeefreek
01-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I think it could be done, but i'm no electrician. But, how much are you really out when it's cold enough that you'd want heated seats?

Lance
01-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Good question... In general I don't go out on days where I think it is too cold but this is a relative thing and my wife's threshold is a little different than mine. That said, this is really about keeping the driver happy. When we go out if the driver is happy then everyone is happy... if not it is a short day.

Mag_Red
01-09-2005, 11:15 AM
:eek3: Talk about being in the Hot seat! Shocking...simply shocking! :D

JimN
01-09-2005, 12:13 PM
What about getting one of those combination fridge/hot box things that plug into a cigarette lighter? I don't know how fast it would warm up a wet towel, but if you put a warm towel on a seat before sitting on it, it's not going to be as bad as a cold vinyl seat. For that matter, just sitting on a dry towel is better than vinyl when it's cold.

Leroy
01-09-2005, 03:49 PM
If you wanted to experiment you can get pipe heater cord and snake it around under the vinyl. I think I saw 100-200 watt, 10-20 feet for $20-$30. Then power with an inverter.

I never thought I needed heated seats in the car, but now wouldn't be without them!

There are also many commercial solutions.
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html

Lance
01-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks Leroy, your link is what I was looking for. Guess I should have checked on ebay before I posted as there were several solutions that look like they would work. I believe I will give this a try.

milkmania
01-10-2005, 03:28 AM
Thanks Leroy, I enjoyed the link also.

wonder how well these will work in rural areas? lol
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/trlich.html

River Rat
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
I recon I don't under stand you cold weather guys.... down here if it's cold enough for a dang seat heater we stay out of the water. :uglyhamme

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I recon I don't under stand you cold weather guys.... down here if it's cold enough for a dang seat heater we stay out of the water. :uglyhamme
Easy... for us it's either a 3-month ski season (last half - June, July, August & first half Sept), or a 6-month season with heaters, full wetsuits, showers, etc.

If I had a 6-month warm ski season, I probably wouldn't ski when it's cold either.

...... well.... on second thought.... I probably would since it wouldn't be "THAT" cold.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 12:00 PM
This sounds like a good project for me after I install the butt massager. ;)

Mag_Red
01-13-2005, 04:12 PM
This sounds like a good project for me after I install the butt massager. ;)Better check your "tranny " first :D