PDA

View Full Version : Shaft is bent - How do you remove the rudder?

jbrooks86
02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I bought this boat as a fixer upper. 2000 Prostar 205. It has been neglected for the most part. I assume since the PO bent the shaft and killed the prop. I have the shaft away from the tranny and was hoping that it would make it past the rudder, but no dice. So how do you remove the rudder? I see the 4 bolts in the housing, bu tit looks like the rudder would slide out w/o removing the housing. Will it? I have loosened the bolt that pinches the rudder shaft but that did not seem to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bigmac
02-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I bought this boat as a fixer upper. 2000 Prostar 205. It has been neglected for the most part. I assume since the PO bent the shaft and killed the prop. I have the shaft away from the tranny and was hoping that it would make it past the rudder, but no dice. So how do you remove the rudder? I see the 4 bolts in the housing, bu tit looks like the rudder would slide out w/o removing the housing. Will it? I have loosened the bolt that pinches the rudder shaft but that did not seem to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Usually, all you have to do to remove the rudder is remove the cotter pin at the top of the rudder shaft, loosen the pinch bolt on the keyed tiller arm and slide it off the rudder. It just falls out (be careful it's supported so it doesn't get dinged when it falls). There are usually a couple of O-rings in the rudder housing. They may come out with the rudder or may be left behind. Be sure you know which, and maybe check them to see if they need to be replaced. You shouldn't have to do anything to the rudder housing - if you've already loosened the four bolts, you may have to take it apart the rest of the way so you can re-seal it with some marine silicone sealant.

Rudder changes have come up frequently here. Look at this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8305&highlight=rudder) and see if any of the parts look familiar.

jbrooks86
02-03-2007, 07:03 PM
bigmac:

Thanks for the reply. I did loosen the pinch bolt on the shaft, but could not get the arm off. I even tapped it lightly with a hammer and that did not work. I assume it is frozen due to time. I will look at it again. I ended up loosening the strut bolts enough to slide the shaft out. I figured on having to reseal everything so no big deal. I am perplexed by the arm on popping right off though. It looks alot like yours only reversed. The arm is facing the port side.

TMCNo1
02-03-2007, 07:12 PM
In most cases, with the rudder being offset to the port side from the rudder the shaft should slide right by the rudder without it's removal. Provided the rudder is straight.

bigmac
02-03-2007, 09:29 PM
bigmac:

Thanks for the reply. I did loosen the pinch bolt on the shaft, but could not get the arm off. I even tapped it lightly with a hammer and that did not work. I assume it is frozen due to time. I will look at it again. I ended up loosening the strut bolts enough to slide the shaft out. I figured on having to reseal everything so no big deal. I am perplexed by the arm on popping right off though. It looks alot like yours only reversed. The arm is facing the port side.

My boat only had about 100 hours on it when I changed to the 06 rudder - no doubt the reason it slid off so easily. Try hitting it with some PB Blaster, let it soak a bit, then tap-tap-tap.

CRAIGTHEMAN
02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
hey bigmac...how come you switched to an 06 rudder....just woundering

Jerseydave
02-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Craig,

The '06 (new style) rudder is larger, gives better steering and manuverability on the 230, xstar and other models. (I also replaced mine on my '03 230 and will be replacing my '05 xstar rudder as well)

Not sure if your xstar requires any replacement......good question for MYMC.

CRAIGTHEMAN
02-04-2007, 05:00 PM
thanx njskier for the info...how much of a difference does it make with that bigger rudder

jbrooks86
02-04-2007, 06:40 PM
bigmac:

I got it off. Thanks for the photos, it helped a ton. Now time to send off the shaft and hope the strut is not bent in the process. If so where be the best place to pick one up and how much am I looking at? Thanks

bigmac
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
hey bigmac...how come you switched to an 06 rudder....just wounderingMuch better handling. My dealer got it and the new tiller for me for my 04 Maristar and warrantied it.

bigmac
02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
bigmac:

I got it off. Thanks for the photos, it helped a ton. Now time to send off the shaft and hope the strut is not bent in the process. If so where be the best place to pick one up and how much am I looking at? ThanksIt seems to me that the majority of shaft injuries are also associated with bending of the strut. IIRC a new strut is somewhere around $180. I'm not sure where you'd get it for your older boat, but I think I'd start with Lex at Rambo Marine (http://www.rambomarine.com/component/option,com_performs/formid,2/Itemid,18/). Lex is absolutely top-notch.

billr
02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
You can also get the strut, shaft and other related parts from SKIDIM