PDA

View Full Version : Ab Lounger

M-Funf
02-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Does anybody here have or use one of these? Good? Bad?

My wife and I go to the gym pretty regularly. I go 3 days/week, and she goes 4-5 days/week. I do 40 minutes of cardio and then about 30 minutes of weights.

My wife always wanted one of these, so we bought one last week at Wally World. It's an AbLounge Ultra (the middle model).

Is it worth adding this into my regular workout, or is it a waste of my time?

dsoby
02-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Just an opinion but if you and your wife are in the gym that much, I don't see any advantage by using an ab-lounger. I think that they are entirely useless unless you are in incredibly bad shape.

shepherd
02-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm no expert, but my general opinion is that anything that makes the particular exercise easier would also make it less effective... I'd stick with the regular crunches, leg lifts, etc.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
02-02-2007, 02:32 PM
IMO, those ab loungers are a WASTE of MONEY! I truly believe you can get the same results with one of those $10 excrecise balls, and a $10 pilates DVD. Pilates are VERY effective! so are those body balls. I woudl save the big $$$ and go that route, hey, its a cheap investment if it fails. But I say it dont fail! If you do ANY excercise religiously, they all work. Most people look for "easy miracle fixes" and spend tons of $$$ on machines that sit unused. Buy a body ball and learn some pilates and that will do the trick. :)

CoFooter
02-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I read somewhere on the top ten worst core exercises and these gimmicky machines that seem to pop up every year (like the ab lounger) around the new year were like number 3 on the list along with gym crunch machines using resistance, etc. Old fashioned sit ups, leg lifts, etc along with the ball exercises were what was recommended.

JimN
02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I have a cousin who wants a treadmill with a snack tray. Is that wrong?

TMCNo1
02-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Ab Lounger????????????????
I thought ya'll were talking about a lounge chair where you drank Anheuser Busch Products!

trickskier
02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Ab Lounger????????????????
I thought ya'll were talking about a lounge chair where you drank Anheuser Busch Products!
You're TOO much #1.........LOL :D

trickskier
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
My wife says that if you have neck and back problems, it's great because it isolates the AB muscles without straining the back & neck.

TX.X-30 fan
02-02-2007, 07:51 PM
IMO, those ab loungers are a WASTE of MONEY! I truly believe you can get the same results with one of those $10 excrecise balls, and a $10 pilates DVD. Pilates are VERY effective! so are those body balls. I woudl save the big $$$ and go that route, hey, its a cheap investment if it fails. But I say it dont fail! If you do ANY excercise religiously, they all work. Most people look for "easy miracle fixes" and spend tons of $$$ on machines that sit unused. Buy a body ball and learn some pilates and that will do the trick. :)

Thanks for the visual (UMP on the Body Ball)

Chief
02-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Is it better than a gut-be-gone?

trickskier
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Is it better than a gut-be-gone?
I wouldn't know.......I have furniture disease.......My Chest dropped to my drawers.......8p

atlfootr
02-02-2007, 08:27 PM

My wife and I go to the gym pretty regularly. I go 3 days/week, and she goes 4-5 days/week. I do 40 minutes of cardio and then about 30 minutes of weights.

My wife always wanted one of these, so we bought one last week at Wally World. It's an AbLounge Ultra (the middle model).

Is it worth adding this into my regular workout, or is it a waste of my time?BIG waste of $$$$$ :twocents:

Mag_Red
02-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I luv the blonde on the commercials that says in a deep southern draw it got rid of my pot bellie!:D

FlatBoard
02-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Eat more fruit!!

mitch
02-02-2007, 11:12 PM
It's worked for me

Workin' 4 Toys
02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
This is what I use....True Fitness THF1105

02-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a cousin who wants a treadmill with a snack tray. Is that wrong?
Its wrong for him to want one, but its not wrong for you to have that cousin. You cant pick your relatives ;) 8p

BTW, if they make such a device, then that IS wrong. :noface:

bigmac
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I luv the blonde on the commercials that says in a deep southern draw it got rid of my pot bellie!:DYeh, the advertisements for the ab machines that state it will get rid of pot bellies or love handles are ridiculous, but certainly the main reason people buy those infomercial machines. Strengthening the abdominal muscles and paraspinous muscles is always a good idea for health of the back, but won't do anything for fat deposits. It's not possible to target any specific area of the body for fat loss - love handles and pot bellies have nothing to do with the tone or bulk of the abdominal muscles, and all the sit-ups, crunches, or ab machines in the world won't help those cosmetic issues.

JimN
02-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Ump- it's not a him, it's a her. In California.

bigmac- but eventually, if the person burns more calories than they take in, they'll lose fat and the beer gut, jowls, backfat, cottage cheese and all of the rest will go away. OMG! I just figured out how people can lose all of the weight that's making them despise themselves! Eat less, do more and make sure that what they eat is healthy!

Any o' you homers touch my idea, I'll kill ya!

Workin' 4 Toys
02-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeh, the advertisements for the ab machines that state it will get rid of pot bellies or love handles are ridiculous, but certainly the main reason people buy those infomercial machines. Strengthening the abdominal muscles and paraspinous muscles is always a good idea for health of the back, but won't do anything for fat deposits. It's not possible to target any specific area of the body for fat loss - love handles and pot bellies have nothing to do with the tone or bulk of the abdominal muscles, and all the sit-ups, crunches, or ab machines in the world won't help those cosmetic issues.
Good to know BM.:cool:
I just hope I don't get ecoli from all these f'n salads...:rolleyes:

Speaking of those commercials....Why is it they always use those people with spectacular bodies for losing weight:rolleyes: ...Reminds me of oil infomercials..

JimN
02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Because a lot of people are stoopid. Some of them are pretty dang hot, though.

bigmac
02-03-2007, 01:21 PM
bigmac- but eventually, if the person burns more calories than they take in, they'll lose fat and the beer gut, jowls, backfat, cottage cheese and all of the rest will go away. OMG! I just figured out how people can lose all of the weight that's making them despise themselves! Eat less, do more and make sure that what they eat is healthy!

Yup. It's basic thermodynamics. Problem is, changes in hormone levels (especially estrogen/testosterone ratios) affect fat deposition location, and those hormone levels change as we age. So, although it's true that the only way to get rid of love handles or pot bellies is generalized fat loss as you mention, as we age we likely find that those areas are the last to lose that fat.

As to jowls and facial wrinkles - those actually become worse with fat loss since that fat fills out facial features, and the skin becomes looser when that fat is lost -- a reason for 40+ year-olds to not want to lose weight since it's likely to make them look older.

shepherd
02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I think what Mac is saying is the best way to lose weight is to do some aerobic-type exercises, like running, spinning, etc. Crunches, sit-ups, etc. are muscle toning and building exercises. Theoretically, if you do enough of them your gut may get bigger! (builds up the ab muscles).

shepherd
02-03-2007, 01:30 PM
As to jowls and facial wrinkles - those actually become worse with fat loss since that fat fills out facial features, and the skin becomes looser when that fat is lost -- a reason for 40+ year-olds to not want to lose weight since it's likely to make them look older.

I noticed that. Though they look trimmer and younger below the neck, they look old and tired above the neck.

bigmac
02-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I think what Mac is saying is the best way to lose weight is to do some aerobic-type exercises, like running, spinning, etc. Crunches, sit-ups, etc. are muscle toning and building exercises. Theoretically, if you do enough of them your gut may get bigger! (builds up the ab muscles).If energy in is greater than energy out (eat more and/or excercise less), the excess is stored in the body as fat. If energy out exceeds energy in (eat less and/or excercise more), fat stores are used to make up the energy difference. However - it's far easier for the body to make up protein and carbohydrate deficits buy using muscle protein than converting from fat, so weight loss that's too rapid will likely result in muscle loss.

I have a patient, a dedicated bow hunter, on whom I did a gastric bypass one September. He lost about 170 lbs during the next year. He felt great - lots of energy for biking, jogging etc, but the following fall, he found that he didn't have the strength to draw his hunting bow anymore.

shepherd
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
If energy in is greater than energy out (eat more and/or excercise less), the excess is stored in the body as fat. If energy out exceeds energy in (eat less and/or excercise more), fat stores are used to make up the energy difference. However - it's far easier for the body to make up protein and carbohydrate deficits buy using muscle protein than converting from fat, so weight loss that's too rapid will likely result in muscle loss.

So, will weight training offset the muscle loss?

I'm hoping that increased aerobic activity (mostly running and biking) combined with the weight lifting I normally do will help me lose weight without losing muscle mass.

bigmac
02-03-2007, 06:04 PM
So, will weight training offset the muscle loss?

I'm hoping that increased aerobic activity (mostly running and biking) combined with the weight lifting I normally do will help me lose weight without losing muscle mass.

Very likely. Gastric bypass surgery results in very rapid weight loss - faster than the body can accomodate and some degree of protein/calorie malnutrition is inevitable. A weight loss rate of no more than 4-6 lbs per month is much more sustainable without such malnutrition.

Rapunzl
02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Yup. It's basic thermodynamics. Problem is, changes in hormone levels (especially estrogen/testosterone ratios) affect fat deposition location, and those hormone levels change as we age. So, although it's true that the only way to get rid of love handles or pot bellies is generalized fat loss as you mention, as we age we likely find that those areas are the last to lose that fat.

:confused: Okay..You guys are totally depressing this 40-something female! Don't we have enough bags to content with already (no, I'm not talking about the old man...hehe!!)?

I do know that bosu-balls are AWESOME for ab workouts. :jumping: They take some getting used to, but once you learn to balance, you will get the best ab workout ever...a guaranteed six-pack (no, I'm not talking about beer...git your heads outta the fridge!!). :friday: The idea behind the bosu-ball is that it isolates core muscles. If you do anything athletic, you know that a strong core is important for balance and control. I recommend Pilates too...some guys think that it's a "chick" thing, but I tell ya...my husband took a Pilates class with me and told me later that it kicked his butt!!!

Leroy
02-04-2007, 12:54 AM
You have one now, tell us how it works with your wife ;) ......both of you have great work out schedules already I would be surprised if this did anything for you.

Is it worth adding this into my regular workout, or is it a waste of my time?

bigmac
02-04-2007, 01:12 AM
:confused: Okay..You guys are totally depressing this 40-something female! Don't we have enough bags to content with already (no, I'm not talking about the old man...hehe!!)?

I do know that bosu-balls are AWESOME for ab workouts. They take some getting used to, but once you learn to balance, you will get the best ab workout ever...a guaranteed six-pack (no, I'm not talking about beer...git your heads outta the fridge!!). The idea behind the bosu-ball is that it isolates core muscles. If you do anything athletic, you know that a strong core is important for balance and control. I recommend Pilates too...some guys think that it's a "chick" thing, but I tell ya...my husband took a Pilates class with me and told me later that it kicked his butt!!!

I've yet to see an infomercial excercise device that didn't claim to isolate one muscle group or another ;) . That doesn't mean that bosu-balls (or the ab lounger for that matter) don't work - I'm sure they do - just unlikely to be better than crunches. People tend to jump on various excercise fads understandably looking for that magic machine that will give equivalent results with no work. Stationary bikes, Nordic Trac, Health Rider, The Gazelle, Chuck Norris' Total Gym - etc - a long list. When people find that they aren't magic...they actually DO have to work at it - those things end up as clothes racks in the bedroom. If a machine or exercise regimen helps people commit to a regular, ongoing exercise program - then they should go for it. Personally, I'm always skeptical - people who are truly dedicated to their health won't rely on a gimmick. They'll walk, run, do situps, lift sandbags...whatever. Things like the ab lounger are just taking advantage of people who'd love to be in shape but don't want to do the work that's necessary to get there. Ultimately, such machines mostly just benefit the people hawking them. IMHO

http://mccollister.info/gifs/youcandoit.gif

TMCNo1
02-04-2007, 09:48 AM
That guy makes me want to shoot my TV!

02-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I've yet to see an infomercial excercise device that didn't claim to isolate one muscle group or another ;) . That doesn't mean that bosu-balls (or the ab lounger for that matter) don't work - I'm sure they do - just unlikely to be better than crunches. People tend to jump on various excercise fads understandably looking for that magic machine that will give equivalent results with no work. Stationary bikes, Nordic Trac, Health Rider, The Gazelle, Chuck Norris' Total Gym - etc - a long list. When people find that they aren't magic...they actually DO have to work at it - those things end up as clothes racks in the bedroom. If a machine or exercise regimen helps people commit to a regular, ongoing exercise program - then they should go for it. Personally, I'm always skeptical - people who are truly dedicated to their health won't rely on a gimmick. They'll walk, run, do situps, lift sandbags...whatever. Things like the ab lounger are just taking advantage of people who'd love to be in shape but don't want to do the work that's necessary to get there. Ultimately, such machines mostly just benefit the people hawking them. IMHO

TRU DAT!!!!

This man Bigmac, he speaks the truth! I have several friends who do just as he described. I work with a person that does that. She own an entire library of excercise videos, DVD's, almost every gimmick contraption ever made to tone your tummy, and things. She uses them for a few weeks and then they collect dust. She gave me her pilates video, thats how I learned them. DIdnt cost me a dime. SOmetimes I really think that those people are SO blind that they figure if they just BUY the product, they will lose weight automatically....
Thats why I advise the $10 body ball, and a cheap pilates DVD. NOt much investment, but you will get the SAME results. It all goes back to what Bigmac said, you have to WORK at it to get results. now this is going to sound stupid, so laugh as you want but I try to get excercise benefit out of chores around the house. yesterday I cleaned house. But, I did it at a very fast pace. Heart rate is up, and it stays up so you get some cardio benefit out of it. Cleaning involves lots of bending, stretching, lifting. your working different muscles than normal. I have a 2 story house, and a basement. so I split up the cleaning chores to involve a lot of trips up and down the stairs. After several hours of that, its a work out. Of course I am not gonna look like Mr Universe from cardio, but I jsut want basic excercise. now today, I will do my regular excercise routine.

Great words Bigmac! You said a ton right there. :)

TMCNo1
02-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Around here, you can find all the excercise equipment/videos that has ever been made, at Yard Sales/Tag Sales. Most front yards during these sales look like a Nautilus Fitness Centers with new equipment at pennies on the dollar. Apparently what is not for sale is what works for them, but there are also clothes and such that are 10 sizes too small for the persons selling the items.:rolleyes: :confused:

O2BESOHUGE
02-04-2007, 12:48 PM
They Work Great...i Have One I Use Every Night. You Can Find Them Cheap On Ebay Also

O2