PDA

View Full Version : Water separator present on '95 ps190?

dwe
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
I remember reading a thread about there being a water separator near the fuel tank on the transom. I couldn't pull the vertical carpet panel, but I looked through the floor access, and the rear vertical removable center seatback cushion, and couldn't find one in-line. I also couldn't find any mention of one in the owners manual. Did this year of boat come with one? If I were to add one, would it be better to put it in the engine box area for easier service?

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 06:54 PM
I asked about mine a while back and I seem to remember someone saying that they didn't have a spin-on fuel/water seperator after 93 or 94, but I could be wrong on that. Min is in my bilge just below deck level.

lakes Rick
01-07-2005, 08:19 PM
My 94 has one..

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 08:41 AM
My 95 PS190 does not have one.

The vertical carpet panel on mine is velcro'd in place (I think - it's been a while).

JimN
01-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I've never seen a spin-on fuel/water separator near the back of the boat. They have all been near the motor in the bilge. I have seen fuel filters on top of the tank, attached to the fitting after the fuel shutoff valve.

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
My '95 has a seperator under the engine hatch. I believe it is near the tranny, just follow the fuel line going forward.

G-man
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
I have seen some on the really old MC's where the water fuel sep.filter is in the back near the gas tank. I'm talking about late 70's early 80's.

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 01:51 PM
The only thing in the fuel-line of my '95 that's NOT the pump, is the in-line filter between the pump & the TBI. From what I'm told, it's not a seperator, just a filter.

on my old carb supra ('84), the fuel-filter & water sererator were seperate devices (I think).

jsonova99
01-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Does anybody know if a '91 PS190 has one? I'm alos curious where my fuel filter is located if anybody knows.

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Here is the image per the Indmar manual. I added labels for which parts are which.

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Here is the image per the Indmar manual. I added labels for which parts are which.
I absolutely don't have that. Thx for the pic.

André
01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Not on my 94 190 TBI...

Lance
01-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Does anybody know if a '91 PS190 has one? I'm alos curious where my fuel filter is located if anybody knows.

Does the '91 PS190 have the carburated Indmar 5.8L (351 Ford block)? If so there is a filter at the bottom of the fuel pump which is on the front left (from the rear) side of the block (it has a metal bowl that is about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 2 inches long and has a metal strap that hold it in place with a screw at the bottom of the stap [kind of looks like a sediment bowl on an old tractor]). The separator discussed in this thread is mounted on the left side of the bilge near the transmission cooler I believe. I don't remember the numbers but you can get both from Rambo Marine (I seem to recall the fuel filter is Carter ### and the separator is a FRAM ###). There is also a screen at the carburetor inlet that can get gunked up if the boat hasn't been used in a bit. As others have mentioned on this forum it can be a little tough to get this one off as it has a tendency to twist the fuel inlet line when you loosen it.

I have only replaced the element in the separator once but I do change the one under the fuel pump every other year or so. My experience is that this one has a tendency to get deformed by the spring which makes me think fuel might be getting by unfiltered. I have also noticed water can get in the bowl so drain it every year and and least inspect the filter element.

Hope this helps.

dwe
01-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm almost positive mine only has the automotive style inline fuel filter near the TBI. On our old boat, the tank held 60 gal, so I never let it sit full. On the MC, I fill the tank up after ea. outing, and don't use marina gas. I'm leaning more to the opinion that I won't need the separator like I did on the old boat.

jsonova99
01-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks, Lance. That is my engine, I don't have the separator but I'll order up a new fuel filter since I don't when the previous owner last changed it.