PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Dish Network LNB

east tx skier
01-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay, here's my situation. A while back, I got a multi-switch for my Dish Network Dish (SG34 I think). Come to find out, my dish is a Dish 500 twin (Legacy series), which isn't compatible with the multiswitch. From looking at the dish, it seems I could just order a Dish Pro twin LNB off ebay and slap it on my existing dish, i.e., swap out the LNBs.

Is it as easy as that. Will the yoke on my current dish allow me to just snap the new LNB into place? I know that some of my older receivers will require legacy/pro adapters if this works.

Anybody done this?

milkmania
01-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Okay, here's my situation. A while back, I got a multi-switch for my Dish Network Dish (SG34 I think). Come to find out, my dish is a Dish 500 twin (Legacy series), which isn't compatible with the multiswitch. From looking at the dish, it seems I could just order a Dish Pro twin LNB off ebay and slap it on my existing dish, i.e., swap out the LNBs.

Is it as easy as that. Will the yoke on my current dish allow me to just snap the new LNB into place? I know that some of my older receivers will require legacy/pro adapters if this works.

Anybody done this?

here's where I'm at on the deal......
keep in mind it may or may not answer your question....

I had several old dish 500 pans with various LNB's (don't ask, it's part of the witness protection program deal)
they worked fine for my old DP 301 receivers, but when I went to the Single Tuner DVR 511 (I think), I had to use a specific one, The Dish Pro Dual LNB. I tried that receiver for a day and told them to come and get it, I wanted the dual tuner DVD 525. The guy came out and had to switch my Dish Pro LNB to Dish PRO PLUS LNB. The one that said Dish Pro didn't work for these particular receivers.

Long story short (too late), I've got a Dish Pro dual LNB sitting on the shelf, if you want it, PM me an address, and you can have it for price of shipping.
But, I'm pretty sure that the Dish PRO LNB will help your situation.

also, if you know anyone who owns or manages apartments, they will probably give you the Dishnetwork pans & LNB's just to get them out of the courtyard:twocents:

east tx skier
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Milk. From my reading, I think the reason the DP had to be changed for a DPP in your case is because your new receiver had dual tuners. But from what I'm reading, unless I wanted a larger focal point (like to receive 3 satellites instead of 2), the dish 500 pan will work with either LNB.

Thanks for the offer, but I'd already bought one on ebay.

Not looking forward to getting on the roof to swap out this LNB.

Ric
01-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Not looking forward to getting on the roof to swap out this LNB. I will never do it again

east tx skier
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
That's what I have said about cable for the last eight years. Fortunately, the dish is mounted on the side of the house just outside the window of one of our spare bedrooms. So getting out there won't require too much effort.

In that eight years, this will be the first time I've ever had to lift a finger to mess with my TV access. Never had to have a service call apart from installation and never had them not show up on time to install. Cannot say that about any cable company that has ever been my provider.

Ric
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
woooh quick cable story as I seem to be a magnet for inept customer service people

spent a ton on a driveway around a house I had in the early 90's so I could bring the boat home now and then but have it in the backyard so as to not upset the HOA nazis

3-4 months later, decided on cable and wanted it in time to watch the masters (you know how you cannot see the Masters til saturday if you are on the antenna ) .
clowns come out, shallow bury the cable across the yard from the pole out back. come to my newly laid flatwork that attached my new drive to my new 25x40 patio and decided to bust out the expansion board and lay the cable in that gap and stomp the board back down. the nitwit didnt even trim the board or bury the cable where an edger wouldnt grab it

I called
they sent folks out twice
they thought I was nuts
I told them to come unhook me
they wanted to bill me for 6mos and accused me of only wanting cable installed for Masters weekend... nochit
took forever to get my credit

years later, working in the yard, I decided I was tired of that loose cable on the utility pole so I chopped it off with a hatchet at the crimp points

weeks later there were some cable dudes in my yard

I go toward them about to raise hell

they said, neighbors are complaining about their service and your yardman must have cut the line here that goes to their house.... :o

I said, what a joke... did you fix it? yah? there will be no charge? uh ya I know that guy, now move your van out of my drive right away... bye... they left pizzed.

hahahahhahah I finally admitted to the neighbors I was the one who cut it and handed them a bottle of crown for their pain and suffering!

milkmania
01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
not getting on my roof anytime soon......

it's 24 degrees and windy as hell!

you are correct about the DPP though;)

milkmania
01-31-2007, 01:19 PM
hahahahhahah I finally admitted to the neighbors I was the one who cut it and handed them a bottle of crown for their pain and suffering!

crown cures all:woohoo:

loeweb
01-31-2007, 01:22 PM
What is all this about DPP and LNB's and all that jazz. I have Dish Pro 500 and would love to have more than 2 receivers in my house. What is this switch you speak of?

east tx skier
01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Everything you need to know.

Link (http://www.dbsinstall.com/Dish_network/Dish_network_dishes.htm)

TMCNo1
01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks, but my galvanized trash can lid setup works fine except during a tornado!

TX.X-30 fan
01-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I will never do it again

CHICKEN 8p 8p