PDA

View Full Version : installing speakers in open bow 197

rodltg2
01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
anyone install 6 1/4" speakers themselves in the 197 open bow. i'm scared to do it myself and wreck the upholstry.

Mag_Red
01-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Can't offer any advise......but if you do ....have the girls do it and take plenty of pics! :D

rodltg2
01-07-2005, 05:18 PM
that's guarenteed. wait until spring starts and i will have plenty more for you guys!

dmac
01-07-2005, 05:19 PM
that's guarenteed. wait until spring starts and i will have plenty more for you guys!We'll be waiting.

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Use a 5" hole saw..cut out a smaller hole (4") in the vinyl and use the hole saw to punch out a perfect hole.

BarefootWt
02-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I have not but spoke with my dealer about doing it. He showed me how if you look close you can see the outline of where the holes are pre-drilled in the glass. I elected not to put in front speakers as when your passengers lean back, they will feel them in their backs. I added 2 in the back, and a sub-woofer under the dash up above where your feet typically sit. Given most of my skiing is without a full boat, having speakers up front don't serve much of a purpose either as we basically shut the front off. We also thought if we needed more noise later, adding a speaker or 2 in the walkway sides (cut into the fiber glass)to the front would also work, and not stick in anyones' back. If you do need to cut, you may want to pay your dealer to do this as he has probablydone it before and can take the responsibility in case the job goes south. Good luck.

Stritt
02-09-2005, 08:32 AM
The holes are already drilled in the fiberglass and interior panel. Take and find center of the hole and use a razor blade to cut an x into the vinyl. Be careful not to cut to close to the opening. The speaker will slide into place. When drilling the holes make sure you drill a pilot hole so that the screw will not begin to wrap around the foam and vinyl. Pretty easy, we did this in a friends 197 TT. I have a 197 and where my speakers are has not interferred with seating. Good luck.

lake
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
The holes are already drilled in the fiberglass and interior panel. Take and find center of the hole and use a razor blade to cut an x into the vinyl. Be careful not to cut to close to the opening. The speaker will slide into place. When drilling the holes make sure you drill a pilot hole so that the screw will not begin to wrap around the foam and vinyl. Pretty easy, we did this in a friends 197 TT. I have a 197 and where my speakers are has not interferred with seating. Good luck.

I'm getting ready to do a stereo install. I've heard it both ways in regard to the hole being precut. My dealer said some are and some aren't. Regardless of what I find, I have a holesaw that can make the cut if needed. Do you know if a spacer is required? I ask this since it looks like the speaker magnet may come pretty close to the hull side given the tight clearance. If a spacer is required is this something you can pick up at a stereo shop or did any of you make your own? My boat is an 05 197.

ncsone
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Just did a speaker install on a 05 197 on Sunday. The holes are already in the fiberglass for the front speakers. It was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. I punched the hole in the upholstery to look around before doing a big cut. It turns out that even the foam behind the upholstery had a hole for the speakers. There was just a foam plug in the hole to make everything smooth and the plug pulls right out. It looked to me like the front holes were cut for 7" speakers as my 6.5's were slightly too small. Luckily, Polk supplied adapter rings in the box to work with the larger holes.
The rear speakers were a different story. I lined up the speaker grills and marked the center. From there I drilled a 5 inch hole and they mounted up real easy. Took maybe 15 minutes per speaker.

RexDog1
03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
anyone install 6 1/4" speakers themselves in the 197 open bow. i'm scared to do it myself and wreck the upholstry.

Rod .......... if I were you, I would be scared also……………………………………:rolleyes:

Take your time, no need to rush things

Sodar
03-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Rod .......... if I were you, I would be scared also……………………………………:rolleyes:

Take your time, no need to rush things

I think this was like 7 boats ago....

Monte
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Rod aren't you helping build a boat company? Can your upholstery guy not help?

RexDog1
03-19-2008, 02:48 PM

was i talking about boats?.....:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

moleson10
03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I learn something every day here. I thought all 197s came with speakers. Silly me.

Diesel
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
This thread might help...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18460

Jim@BAWS
03-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I learn something every day here. I thought all 197s came with speakers. Silly me.

No 197's boats do not come standard with speakers
But alot of boats come standard with a ROD

Jim@BAWS

BrianM
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Silly you. Thinking that a $40k+ boat would come standard with speakers. :rolleyes:

RexDog1
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM
No 197's boats do not come standard with speakers
But alot of boats come standard with a ROD

Jim@BAWS

LOL :rolleyes: ......................... very funny:)

Sodar
03-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Silly you. Thinking that a $40k+ boat would come standard with speakers. :rolleyes:

Whoa... all you do is complain that you want a stripped down slalom tug and now you are complaining that a stripped down, $40k slalom tug does not have speakers!?!?! Next thing you know, you will be asking for it to come with a tower! 8p

My rig came with bow speakers! Luckily I got mine in '07, because word on the street is that the boats in '08 that order base stereos without the Amp & Sub upgrade get really sweet Clarion speakers! That would have made my upgrade to a nicer stereo system MUCH more pricey! Love my JL Audio!

BrianM
03-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Whoa... all you do is complain that you want a stripped down slalom tug and now you are complaining that a stripped down, $40k slalom tug does not have speakers!?!?! Next thing you know, you will be asking for it to come with a tower! 8p

Pipe down over there! I need to have at least some basic tunes in the stripped down tug. I mean really, even the most basic of basic $15k cars now days comes with four speakers and a CD player.

Sodar
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Pipe down over there! I need to have at least some basic tunes in the stripped down tug. I mean really, even the most basic of basic $15k cars now days comes with four speakers and a CD player.

I thought only wakeboarders liked music. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Monte
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I thought only wakeboarders liked music. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

That's the rules.. If you don't like it I guess you are practicing the wrong sport:rolleyes: