PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done Race Deck flooring?

Archimedes
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I need to do a semi conversion of my garage to make it more useable for my kids (and me) and I was thinking of doing Race Deck flooring. Anyone on here used this stuff and have comments?

I searched through the garage thread and saw it mentioned but no real comments except 'it's expensive'.

Maristar210
01-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I need to do a semi conversion of my garage to make it more useable for my kids (and me) and I was thinking of doing Race Deck flooring. Anyone on here used this stuff and have comments?

I searched through the garage thread and saw it mentioned but no real comments except 'it's expensive'.

I would not do it Arch. I have seen this stuff in person and for what it costs it does not seem like there is much value in it. Also stuff can get underneath it. (water dirt and so on)

I would find a good industrial floor coating. It will be a stinky deal to apply but well worth it IMO http://www.deckcoatings.com/

Archimedes
01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks. That's my biggest concern is will it sit down or get gaps that bug me and allow stuff in. The upside is I like the grip of it better than some of the floor coatings, it won't crack if the floor moves (I've got a 50 year old garage) and I can take it with me if I move. Downside is cost and whether it will lay flat and stay clean. I was hoping if I did the edging and maybe some tape it would stay down.

M-Funf
01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I helped a friend put racedeck down in his garage. It was O.K. but it was $$$. There were no problems with lifting, but stuff will get under it. I worry mostly about water, which might mildew in there and start to smell :confused:

There are other garage flooring products available that are like racedeck, but less expensive.

My garage floor is about 20 years old. I used epoxy and it's holding up well. It's got some cracks, but hey, it's a garage :rolleyes:

edit: My GARAGE is 20 years old. The epoxy on the floor is only 3 years old...

Archimedes
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
You guys convinced me. I'm gonna pass on the Race Deck. That Liquid Granite stuff looks interesting. Gonna check the cost and wear on that.

Sodar
01-30-2007, 05:17 PM
You guys convinced me. I'm gonna pass on the Race Deck. That Liquid Granite stuff looks interesting. Gonna check the cost and wear on that.

My parents did the epoxy liquid granite stuff in their garage. I think it was $1100... It is amazing how durable the stuff is though, I have not been able to stain it or chip it yet and I have put it through some abuse!

Maristar210
01-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Wise choice my friend.;)

TMCNo1
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I got a online quote and sales package from Race Deck for my boat parking area 12'x 24' and it was $1200 so I quietly left the computer and avoided the mailbox! I keep getting e-mails asking me why I didn't purchase and they just don't get it!

M-Funf
01-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I used this stuff

U Coat It (http://www.ucoatit.com/)

I didn't put in any flakes. My garage is nearly 900 Sq. Ft. and took two days to complete.

I think I put it on a bit thin. I wish I would have purchased extra and laid it on really thick...

I think I paid less than $500 for the whole thing. The hardest part was getting oil and grease off the floor. If you don't, the stuff don't stick! Etching with Muriatic acid wasn't very fun either.

The good part about this kit...it's a water based epoxy, so you apply it to a damp floor. That saved me a week or more...It would have taken my floor at LEAST a week to dry after I cleaned, degreased, and etched it.

My floor doesn't absorb any water. Water that drips off a wet car will sit there in a puddle for a week or more until it evaporates. Oil cleans up in a snap. So does anything else. I can clean the surface with most cleaners. I've even used Brake-Kleen to remove stubborn grease.

My floor is far from perfect. If you want it to look perfect, have a pro do it. If you just want a good serviceable floor, DIY...

These aren't the best pictures of the floor, but you get the idea...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid192/pef0d1a7f31480ab4c7bfec3341ce7d32/f1a81f0f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p91cb96fb347c4daa1d1a4a4da26c9068/eadc4b96.jpg
Good Luck!

Archimedes
01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I got a online quote and sales package from Race Deck for my boat parking area 12'x 24' and it was $1200 so I quietly left the computer and avoided the mailbox! I keep getting e-mails asking me why I didn't purchase and they just don't get it!

Yeah, for my garage it prices out about $2,000 and for that kinda money I was gonna have to hear some pretty amazing comments about it. My guess is I can probably do the liquid stuff for about half that much.