PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water

CarlosCabanas
01-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello

I know people ski in Brakish (sp?) water but do they ski in salt water? Could a competition be held in saltwater? What are the effects. I read the thread about how water effects skiing can anyone add anything for salt water?

Carlos

JimN
01-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Sandal's sent a few guys to MC training in '00 and they use them in the ocean. Now that they have a salt water line, I don't see why it should be out of the question but I think low tide is about the only time the water will be glass. OTOH, there are rivers that feed the oceans and they may be skiable.

shepherd
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Salt water is denser than fresh water, so your ski should ride a little higher on the surface of salt water. Adjusting your ski accordingly should compensate for the difference. I've skied on salt water before and really haven't noticed a difference, but that was before I really paid attention to such things as ski set-up...

Ski Paradise in Acapulco is on salt water, and some top pros have trained there I believe.

Sodar
01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I have heard several different stories about this topic. There are a few hidden courses set up in the salt near me. I have heard from some very good course skiers that the salt it much denser and faster... if this is true or not, I do not know.

Ryan
01-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I think your average skier will notice no difference at all. Technically salt water is more dense. The only things that I notice any difference is getting up, and floating in the water/floating back to the top after a fall. I think I pop up just a little bit easier. But, it's so little a difference it is really insignificant and may only be perceived. For example, I believe the floating bouyancy in salt water vs fresh to be less than that of wearing a wetsuit in fresh vs no wetsuit. I may also pop up easier because the carbbed engine may be the true variable as it performs better at sea level.

If the effects are really true rather than simply percieved, then it should lend some credit to the belief that one might ride a little bit taller in salt water. Some say the difference is akin to a small layer of ripples vs glassy smooth. While many salt water skiers say BS, there are however, a few out there that feel a difference in surface tension when there are changes in water temperature.

As an extreme comparison, skiing on 90 deg F fresh water at Betsy's felt noticibly softer than skiing on my cold 60deg F salt water. But again, it's not much. And the temp diff adds a large second variable.

One bit that can debunk this whole notion is the fact that the X Games were held in salt water (in my salt water spot) and that if the water were really that much more dense, theoretically riders would be able to get significantly more elevation from a double up done in salt water vs fresh?

I have had people tell me it hurts more to fall in salt water for this reason (to that I call BS).

shepherd
01-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I think your average skier will notice no difference at all.

I agree, but I've heard other skiers who are better than me say they can tell the difference. BS? I don't know...

I have had people tell me it hurts more to fall in salt water for this reason (to that I call BS).

Yeah... right... :cool:

Sodar
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
One bit that can debunk this whole notion is the fact that the X Games were held in salt water (in my salt water spot)

Hey, It is my salt bath too! Plus, you will not be able to call it yours for long considering you are leaving it! :mad: ;)

jimmer2880
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
There is a private lake about 3 hours from me that has some of the best skiers in my region as members. The lake is super muddy. The regulars swear that it makes a difference - that they ski better in the extra-thick water. Personally - I think they ski better because the conditions are always 100% perfect.

CarlosCabanas
01-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Does anybody know if it the IWSF will hold comps in Salt water?

Carlos

André
01-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses! Does anybody know if it the IWSF will hold comps in Salt water?

Carlos
Plenty of fresh water near Québec...Thinking of going south?
Salut!

BrianM
01-30-2007, 08:50 AM
I can tell the difference in the course going from our freshwater site to a friends brackish site. Takes a couple of passes to compensate. The water is definitely faster.

sizzler
01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
i can def. tell the difference when i am footin............

the following day,the water coming outta my nose tastes different...:D

CarlosCabanas
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
André

Moi et ma blond on as une projet dans sud!! Le soliel, des "cabanas" et des sports nautique.... plus à venir! Excuse mon français! Je suis anglais de l'alberta. As tu déja fait du ski avec aventures nautique à thetford? Excellent instruction! Ils ont un entraineur qui as gagné les Championat Canadian il ya deux ans!

Carlos

Sizzler

I'm not too sure we want to hear about how the water coming out of your nose tastes!! : )

jimmer2880
01-30-2007, 11:02 AM
i can def. tell the difference when i am footin............

the following day,the water coming outta my nose tastes different...:D

Too funny.:eek:

Sodar
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
André

Moi et ma blond on as une projet dans sud!! Le soliel, des "cabanas" et des sports nautique.... plus à venir! Excuse mon français! Je suis anglais de l'alberta. As tu déja fait du ski avec aventures nautique à thetford? Excellent instruction! Ils ont un entraineur qui as gagné les Championat Canadian il ya deux ans!

Carlos

Huh??? :D :confused: :D

CarlosCabanas
01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Sodar

Buy a french-english dictionary and broaden your horizons!! haha8p :D 8p
Carlos

Can't wait to learn spanish too!!

pq2
01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I ski on salt water, and for me is much easier to ski on the course on salt than in fresh water. I believe that it also depends if its cold or warm water.

pq2
01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
I ski on salt water, and for me is much easier to ski on the course on salt than in fresh water. I believe that it also depends if its cold or warm water.

Sodar
01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Sodar

Buy a french-english dictionary and broaden your horizons!! haha8p :D 8p
Carlos

Can't wait to learn spanish too!!

Thank Google!!

Me and my fair one have a project in south!! The soliel, of “canted” and the water sports…. to come more! Excuse my French! I am English of Alberta. You already skied nautical with adventures with thetford? Excel instruction! They have a trainer which gained Championat Canadian it ya two years!

:D

CarlosCabanas
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
That's a damn funny translation!! haha:D

André
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
André

Carlos

Sizzler

I'm not too sure we want to hear about how the water coming out of your nose tastes!! : )
Never been there but is it a man made lake? If so someone told me about them.
Who leaves Calgary for Quebec city? You met a Québécoise i guess...Aren't they hot?:D

shepherd
01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
That's a damn funny translation!! haha:D

Vous des types me fendez vers le haut. Que, aviez-vous fumé la bonne substance ? C'est un site Web d'expression anglaise. J'aime les grands, colossaux breastuses. Très savoureux à moi ! :D

Sodar
01-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Vous des types me fendez vers le haut. Que, aviez-vous fumé la bonne substance ? C'est un site Web d'expression anglaise. J'aime les grands, colossaux breastuses. Très savoureux à moi ! :D

STOP IT ALREADY!! You guys are really gunna make me go out and learn a new language now!! :mad:

shepherd
01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
-----------------