PDA

View Full Version : GPS Suggestions

Cousin_Jeff
01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
I am considering getting a GPS. I have always thought they were a cool toy and just wanted one. I don't really have a good reason other than I think they are pretty neat.

Does anyone here have one that they like? What features do I need to look for when purchasing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Hoosier Bob
01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a bunch of Garmin GPS units for various uses but the one I use the most is a GPSMAP 60CS! I love this unit! Check it out!:D

bigmac
01-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm a Garmin fan - I've always found their menu system easier to navigate than Magellan.

This question though...it's too open ended to answer. Need to know budget, use, size. As HB said, many of us have different GPS units for different uses - it's hard to recommend just one model without knowing what you need it for.

rick s.
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a garmin gps, one of the "eTrek" models. I mainly use it to calibrate the boat's speedo, but it is fun to use it. There are maps available (at extra cost) for specific areas (and lakes) which I have purchased, but the cartography is not very accurate. Repeatable, but not very accurate. For instance when I map my travels to-and-from work, sometimes I'm on the freeway (when I am) and sometimes it shows me off the freeway (when I'm not). At home, the gps location is really accurate, but the cartography is 3 streets off.

I think I paid about $200 for it, plus the cartography maps, and was wondering why the more dedicated car units were way more expensive. Maybe the cartography is more accurate?

Anyway it's a fun toy.

sten76
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I have the GPSMAP 76Csx for snowmobiling and boating. The reason I got this unit was specifically for boating, it can float in the water if you have an oops over the side of the boat. You can also download all of your area lakes from an additional software package, with all of the depths, hazards, boat ramps, etc....

I did a ton of research on these things, and this one was the best for my needs. I can use it in the car, boat and on the trails.

Have fun.

MarkP
01-29-2007, 03:46 PM
I am considering getting a GPS. I have always thought they were a cool toy and just wanted one. I don't really have a good reason other than I think they are pretty neat.

Does anyone here have one that they like? What features do I need to look for when purchasing.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Sure you need one!!
That 60CS rocks. I have the Garman Legend. So far Iíve used it to map out mtn bike routs but think it will come in handy on the water to find my way in new lakes.

Hoosier Bob
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
If you want more fun than one can have with the kids go to http://www.geocaching.com/ Very cool and may just be in your back yard! Do not forget to bring something to put back in the box!:D

$369.00 for the updated CSX! Major workhorse that can address the most needs!

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60csx.htm

MarkP
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
If you want more fun than one can have with the kids go to http://www.geocaching.com/ Very cool and may just be in your back yard! Do not forget to bring something to put back in the box!:D

$369.00 for the updated CSX! Major workhorse that can address the most needs!

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60csx.htm
sweet!!!

That SiRF makes a big difference from what Iíve read.
I got my Legend as a gift and didnít trade for that CSX because I was just going to bounce the HEII out of it on the handlebar of my bike and get it all muddy.. So I saved the 200 bucks and donít worry too much about abusing it..

bigmac
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm typing this from Montana - out here with a big group of us snowmobiling. There's so much snow and so much open off-trail riding here that we're all using Garmin Rino 520/530 this year. Communications, GPS and tracking every person in the group. Boy,that really takes the mystery out of missing riders. What a great invention - I gotta hand it to Garmin.

Hoosier Bob
01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Take care wildman and have fun! Be sure to eat your Ovaltine and carry extra batteries!

atlfootr
01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
garmin, garmin, garmin, garmin ....
with that said, I'd recommend a garmin :twocents:
I already have one, but it's something I really need where I foot :purplaugh

rstitson
01-30-2007, 06:57 PM
I have been wanting to take the plunge, but am undecided about how much to put into the extra map capacities. I went to a site and tried out the inland lakes map... Was not impressed as I think I would rather have a chart and at a 100 + dollar investment I can buy a few charts with greater detail. Depths are missing on numerous lakes. In fact, for 15 dollars i got a book of 100's of lakes and ponds in maine with soundings. That book is not as detailed as the best of the maps in the inland lakes but it covers more and the large lakes I can buy charts. I do want to get a unit that acurately positions and measures speed for calibration, and allows for numerous way points for custom pathing

Hoosier Bob
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I have owned the garmin 60CS for a long while but it has had difficulty with dense cover areas. With a clear view it is awesome. It does take some time to acquire satelites in some cases as well. I still believe it is by far the most versitile unit on the market. This thread had me reading up on the newer Garmin 60 CSX. I bought one for no other reason than they are cool! Opened the box turned it on and within seconds, in doors I had my location! Fast as ****! First floor! The 60CS would not function well at all in doors but this thing does! I can't wait to map the trails at the farm! Any way I am just saying the 60CSX is way bad arse! No waiting just turn and burn!:D