PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye Surgery

JohnnyB
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I want to look into getting corrective laser eye surgery in the coming months. What is there to know???

Is there only one type of procedure or several?

Is there an advantage of one procedure of others?

What is the best way to identify a good doctor?

André
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I want to look into getting corrective laser eye surgery in the coming months. What is there to know???

Is there only one type of procedure or several?

Is there an advantage of one procedure of others?

What is the best way to identify a good doctor?
There was a thread recently about that and i know that one member (?) is goig tomorrow and can't get delivery of his new boat 'til the end of the week...http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13518&highlight=laser+surgery

Edit:

tex
01-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I had mine done a couple of years ago. 3 of the top doctors in the nation are here in the metroplex. I had a terrible Astigmatism. Blind as a frick'n bat. They told me they just had my surgery approved earlier in the month. It was the greatest thing! Do some research in your area and go get it done now!

JohnnyB
01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Terrible astigmatism and blind as a frikin' bat matches my situation pretty well.

I'm also tired of spending my time on my sking/footin' runs trying to blink at least one contact lense back into position so I can see.

The Right Kind
01-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I had lasik eye surgery for a slight astigmatism.
It worked great but not the first time.
One eye is for close up, reading. And the other eye is for seeing distances. Three years and it all good!

Footin
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
I do not need glasses, but if I did there is no doubt I would opt for the surgery.

O2BESOHUGE
01-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Im Gettin It Done Tuesday Of Next Week. I Cant Wait!!

TMCNo1
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I got excited and double posted!

TMCNo1
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I would have it done, if after it's over you get a "Happy Ending", like when you get a massage. Ummmmmm, I wonder if insurance pays for that option?:rolleyes: :D 8p

kpgotgame
01-28-2007, 03:37 PM
8 years ago and still 20/20
Do some research - make sure the Dr has some history in the field.
My college roomate had his done in I believe 93 or 94 (as soon as it was available) - he is still good and his eyes were terrible - glasses from early grade school through university.

RexDog1
01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I had mine done a couple of years ago. 3 of the top doctors in the nation are here in the metroplex. I had a terrible Astigmatism. Blind as a frick'n bat. They told me they just had my surgery approved earlier in the month. It was the greatest thing! Do some research in your area and go get it done now!

I did it about 6 years ago and I can only say one thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

GO DO IT

JKTX21
01-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Alright alright... how much peso? I have been interested in doing this, but my eye doctor says I should wait a few more years (I am currently 24).

SkiDog
01-28-2007, 06:09 PM
I did it about 6 years ago and I can only say one thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

GO DO IT

I concur! It's the best money that I EVER spent! Cost around 4500.00 in Jacksonville. They got some great eye doc's in Jax.!:D

TMCNo1
01-28-2007, 06:48 PM
I concur! It's the best money that I EVER spent! Cost around 4500.00 in Jacksonville. They got some great eye doc's in Jax.!:D

Now it all comes into focus!

O2BESOHUGE
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
$1250 An Eye In Alabama....$2500 For Everything. Illbe Able To See Perfect Without Contacts Tuesday!!

rstitson
01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I had my done 5 years ago and am still happy with it. Both done at the same time. Have a local guy do it who does a lot of them, chances are you will be very happy... Even though it is not supposed to, I got rid of my reading glasses also except for continuous reading. Long distance is still very good.

JohnnyB
03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Finally had LASIK yesterday. Am seeing 20/15 today...far cry from not being able to see any lines on the eye chart beforehand!!!!

BrianM
03-07-2008, 09:52 PM
My wife had PRK done on Wednesday and is now recovering from it. The checkups the last two days have all been excellent. PRK takes longer to recover from but is the only option for those with thin corneas. She had horrible vision and will be 20/20 or better and require no reading glasses until she is older. I have been bugging her to get it done for the past couple of years and am glad she finally did it. Total cost for both eyes was just over $2k and I think it will be worth every penny.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Be careful.

I have friends and relative that had this done with complications.

there is alot that is still up in teh air in this procedure.

long term effects have not been verified yet. there are risks, and the long term risks have yet to be discovered as its a relatively new procedure.

be careful.

I still wear my glasses for a reason. you only have ONE set of eyes.

there is no second chance.

BrianM
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Be careful.

I have friends and relative that had this done with complications.

there is alot that is still up in teh air in this procedure.

long term effects have not been verified yet. there are risks, and the long term risks have yet to be discovered as its a relatively new procedure.

be careful.

I still wear my glasses for a reason. you only have ONE set of eyes.

there is no second chance.

Do your research. They have been doing PRK for almost 25 years now and Lasik for about 20. The risks of the surgery are extremely low and even people that have a hard time with the recovery feel it was all worth it in the end. One stat that put my wife totally at ease was the fact that you are something like 2000 times more likely to go blind from some sort of eye infection from wearing contacts than you are from having laser correction done. Have the proceedure done by a doctor that is experienced and uses the latest technology laser. The doctor my wife used has done over 20,000 surgerys and is a partner in the office of the doctor that was the first in the nation to do laser correction.

Iman
03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Hmm, I'm an optometrist and I've never seen stats anywhere similar to yours on blindness with contacts versus laser corrective surgery. Must be comparing all people blinded by contacts since they've been out versus surgery since it's been out or something goofy like that. Maybe all blind people in some limited group or something? All the stats that I've seen still consider surgery substantially riskier than contacts, but then again stats, especially on rare events like blindness can look really peculiar. Most people forget that contacts are risky even though they have improved in recent years, but to find a stat that makes contacts seem riskier than Lasik in my opinion is just misinforming based on some trivial stat. I read a recent article that suggest that suicide rates are alarmingly high in people who've had Lasik, but probably like stats on blindness, it's just such a rare occurence that the stats don't really work.

I had Lasik around 10 yrs ago, shortly after it was approved here. I factored in how much my contacts bothered me versus the risk of the surgery. The more common side effects of Lasik are distorted vision and dry eye and I figured I could cope with that better than skiing with my contacts. I have excellent vision now even 10 yrs after my surgery but I do have dry eye, probably as a side effect of the surgery compounded by other conditions. I am not worried about longterm complications even though the surgery does somewhat structurally weaken the eye.

03-07-2008, 11:55 PM
BrianM, I have done my research, alot of it, and chose NOT to do it. I thought long and hard about it as its a ONE TIME DEAL. there is NO going back.

I have heard stories from my opthamologist (who does not perform lasiks) about certain eye clinics reusing the blades used in the lasik surgery to save money and increase profit, and the results were poor jobs on the 3rd or 4th patient on the same set of blades. who can you trust? I have read accounts like this in news stories, and also seen TV documentaries showing people that have long term effects like blurred vision, seeingn light halos at night, and dry eyes. several of these things Iman already stated. its not about money. money isnt an issue. My eye health is.

I had a very scary eye issue due to a working condition, and I NEEDED surgery to correct it. there was no choice in the matter. let me tell you, when your eyes are screwed up, you reallly think about it. to me, the risks far outweigh the minor inconveinence of wearing glasses. So yes, I have done my research.

BrianM
03-08-2008, 01:27 PM
BrianM, I have done my research, alot of it, and chose NOT to do it. I thought long and hard about it as its a ONE TIME DEAL. there is NO going back.

I have heard stories from my opthamologist (who does not perform lasiks) about certain eye clinics reusing the blades used in the lasik surgery to save money and increase profit, and the results were poor jobs on the 3rd or 4th patient on the same set of blades. who can you trust? I have read accounts like this in news stories, and also seen TV documentaries showing people that have long term effects like blurred vision, seeingn light halos at night, and dry eyes. several of these things Iman already stated. its not about money. money isnt an issue. My eye health is.

I had a very scary eye issue due to a working condition, and I NEEDED surgery to correct it. there was no choice in the matter. let me tell you, when your eyes are screwed up, you reallly think about it. to me, the risks far outweigh the minor inconveinence of wearing glasses. So yes, I have done my research.

To each their own that is for sure and I am by no means telling you you should have it done. It is absolutely a HUGE decision that should not be taken lightly.

As for the bad doctors that all goes to making sure you have someone reputable doing the surgery. Keep in mind that my wife had PRK which does NOT use a blade to cut the flap. As said above the Lasik does structurally make your eye a bit weaker because of this cut in the flap which is why the miltary will not allow its pilots to have Lasik. They do allow PRK because there is no structural weakening of the eye. Also it really matters what laser machine the doctor uses as far as night vision goes. A side effect for many in the past was halos or starbursts at night. WIth the newest machines that correct a much larger portion of your eye the bad night vision is becoming much more rare.

The machine and the doctor are what is going to create the best result. I would only have it done by the best of doctors that is using the very latest laser technology.

TRBenj
03-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Keep in mind that my wife had PRK which does NOT use a blade to cut the flap.
Not all LASIK procedures require the use of a blade, either. I had completely bladeless LASIK done on Wed (a laser is used to create the flap), and Im seeing better than I ever have today- even better than when I was wearing glasses or contacts.

Do your research and choose a doctor carefully, but I highly recommend it. Dont shop around based on price- do it once and do it right.

Personally, I cant wait to ski and barefoot this summer without having to deal with contacts!

Grover777
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I had lasik in January. I could not be happier. I did have halos at night for a little while, nothing I could not have lived with if they did not improve. Eyes are a bit drier now as well, however it beats the heck out of the irritation my contacts caused. I have worn contacts since 6th grade (Im now 37). I am glad I had the procedure, however do your research and make the decision that is best for you. Hopefully I will be able to see those 6 little balls a bit better now.

D

spanielman50
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
the latest studies show a good source of omega 3 and omega 6 oils will
really help your dryness,,,pre and post op no diff helps any dry eye

BrianM
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
My wife is now one week post op from PRK and says she already sees better than she ever did with her contacts. She has been back at work the last two days and is now driving and commuting into the office. Overall she says it was a little rough the first three days but after that no problem. She says she would do it again in a heartbeat.

03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
The only thing that scares me about those surgeries is the unknown long term effects (if any).

peason
03-13-2008, 11:24 AM
My wife who could not read the alarm clock next to the bed, had it done 4 years ago. She thanks me every day that we spent the money to have her surgery. She has very little side effects and loves wearing her sunglasses. She now has better vision than I do. Unfortunately all of our kids have inherited her eyesight - I have 3 in glasses or contacts.

swatguy
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Well the wife just had it done and she also has a Astigmatism and very large pupils. I got to be in the room and watch it all on T.V. form the view of exactly what the Dr. sees. Was cool as heck.

Knowing a few Optometrists here in Chicago, which happens to have top notch Dr's, the blade in most cases is a thing of the past in prominent offices. The flaps are cut with lasers now and have a much much lower rate of failure due to all the technology these days. I am by no means telling everyone to go out and get it, but it has gotten to the point I think that it has been proven and the results are very solid.

Only time will tell how she does.

Our Dr. who pretty much does 90% of the pro athletes here in Chicago said the PRK would be a better option if given the choice for some of the pro athletes such as hockey players and basketball players due to the higher rate of a chance of being poked in the eye violently, but if you are really bad off with the sight to begin with it may not be the best. HE also stated that the PRK takes longer to heal and get your vision back compared to the Lasik and is also more painful. HE also stated depending on what type of water skiing you are doing PRK may be a better option due to the force and split second interval at which the amount of water flushed in there could be a problem. HE sated for most recreation skiers there isn't much worry for the standard Lasik , but that there would be for most pro level skiers who consistently compete, but i do know some who ski recreationally that are close to that caliber so wanted to throw that out there.

Just giving some statements made from him for people to ponder...Always ask a professional first :)