PDA

View Full Version : Correct Craft vs. Mastercraft

Overdraft
01-27-2007, 12:06 AM
I have asked you all before for your input to what model MC I should be upgrading to. I have a 1994 Barefoot now with a 200 HP Venom - nice boat but I wanted to get somthing new for no other reason than I have wanted a new boat for some time and well...I am not getting younger. So if you see my previous threads, I have asked the forum advice on MC model for a family that likes to ski and board and family boat about on what can be a choppy lake.

A very capable MC sales rep has steered me to what he believes is my ideal boat - the new X 14 (Prostar 214 with a tower). At the Toronto Boat Show last week, I saw the x 14 and my particular favourite - a Correct Craft 211 Crossover. Not the prettiest thing on the water but holy smokes the thing seemed well built with a beautiful layout.

I have not water tested either - in fact almost nobody has water tested and X 14.

The JD Powers ratings on the CC are impressive.

I have wanted to buy a new MC all my life but I think this CC may meet the criteria best. Please help...I may have to sell my MC and become a CC owner - that can't be can it?...

Maristar210
01-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I applaud your X14 efforts. Let us know how the turmoil emancipates itself..

Chief
01-27-2007, 12:16 AM
I have asked you all before for your input to what model MC I should be upgrading to. I have a 1994 Barefoot now with a 200 HP Venom - nice boat but I wanted to get somthing new for no other reason than I have wanted a new boat for some time and well...I am not getting younger. So if you see my previous threads, I have asked the forum advice on MC model for a family that likes to ski and board and family boat about on what can be a choppy lake.

A very capable MC sales rep has steered me to what he believes is my ideal boat - the new X 14 (Prostar 214 with a tower). At the Toronto Boat Show last week, I saw the x 14 and my particular favourite - a Correct Craft 211 Crossover. Not the prettiest thing on the water but holy smokes the thing seemed well built with a beautiful layout.

I have not water tested either - in fact almost nobody has water tested and X 14.

I have wanted to buy a new MC all my life but I think this CC may meet the criteria best. Please help...I may have to sell my MC and become a CC owner - that can't be can it?...

X2/Maristar 200VRS or X15 I'm sure you will like either or for the room and ride. Take a look at all options on both and test drive and make your decision, all the big three are great it's just what you want. The V drive in any model makes for a good day with the extra room.

wakebrdr142
01-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I think quality wise they are equal. It really comes down to which you like better. It's a good problem to be in because you will have a sweet boat either way. Also consider dealers.

mitch
01-27-2007, 12:56 AM

Gotta do what ya gotta do.....You'll be happy either way

C36
01-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Overdraft:

If I could offer a suggestion: get your family out on the water in each boat on your short list (both inside the boat and behind the boat doing their choosen sport) - take your time and have fun with it. Try as many as you can. I flew from BC to ON to watertest the boat we were interested in to make sure it was what I thought it was (you should have seen the look on the owners face when I pulled out my wakeboard and slalom ski for the water test in April). As my Dad said when we were looking, "If you are spending that much, you had better LOVE whatever boat you choose."

One other thing, although the CC 210 is not the 211, I have skied (and wakeboarded) the 210 and although the wake is soft it is big(ger) than what I had expected at slalom speeds. One other observation - last years Waterski mag Boat Buyers Guide (BBG) rated X-1 = CC211 (for both waterski and wakeboarding performance) and the X-1 is thousands less.

Even though the X-2 is not highly rated as a ski boat, you should also give it a look - I took a pull on one last summer courtesy of Buckeye Marine and I was REALLY pleasently suprised by it (wakeboarding) and the although I did not ski it, the wake did look skiable at slalom speeds.

:twocents:

Good luck with your decision.

phecksel
01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I will second the dealer comment. Our CC dealer is a pain in the rear, and only sells for top dollar. My MC dealer is fantastic to deal with, and cut me a sweet deal on a beautiful 197. CC are great boats, but I love my MC.

x2 canada
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
My family wen't through the same thing you are going through ontill buckeye took us out in an X2 2006.All i can say is what a boat ,this thing does every thing well. Attention to detail an fit an finsh is un surpast. In november i bought an 2007 X2 switch, Buckeye has been great to deal with.

G-man
01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't believe much from any sales person or JD powers rating. Talk with the local owners of both to determine who has the best after the sale service. Which dealer is more convenient to get to? The best boat in the world does no good if it can't get serviced. You also need to drive both boats and ski behind them.

SkiDog
01-27-2007, 10:33 AM
:twocents: My family wen't through the same thing you are going through ontill buckeye took us out in an X2 2006.All i can say is what a boat ,this thing does every thing well. Attention to detail an fit an finsh is un surpast. In november i bought an 2007 X2 switch, Buckeye has been great to deal with.

I too, agree that the X-2 is the way to go! I currently own an 03 X-30, and a few months ago took an X-2 out for a test drive. I couldn't believe what a boat that was! I've driven a LOT of boats in my day, and the X-2 is THE best driving boat that I've ever had the pleasure of driving. To top it off, its got ALL the room you'll ever need, with plenty of storage, as well as room for a big family comfortably. You just can't go wrong with this boat!:twocents: :headbang:

rstitson
01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
We ordered an x-15 with a plate that allows recreational skiing and alot of all around fun wakeboarding and cruising. We looked at the Correct Craft models and was impressed on quality but the layouts/design did not appeal to us. I would make a point of test driving what ever appeals to you and making the decision on that.

east tx skier
01-27-2007, 12:26 PM
The extent of the advice I can give that is appropriate given the forum rules is to get behind both and determine which is best for your needs.

It bears mentioning that this is a MC sponsored board. Since they pay the bills, they have decided that they don't want unfavorable comparisons made when it comes to their boats. That's not my rule, but while I'm a mod, I have to enforce it. At first glance, that doesn't appear to have happened yet here. So thanks to each of you. But just a heads up for future posters/responders that it might be worth reading the posting guidelines in the FAQ before anyone responds to this post. Good luck with your boat upgrade. I hope you get the perfect boat for you.

rodltg2
01-27-2007, 12:36 PM
besides the 196, imho all other nautiques are butt ugly, espeically the 211. go for the mc, much more comfy too.

PendO
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
If I were trying to choose between two brands I would need a water test ... the discontinued PS209/X9 did well with choppy water, and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one ... the 214 is its replacement for 2007, but the 214 is based off of the 197 hull (which is flatter than the 209 - so I will assume, until I ride in one, that it will handle rough water like a 197) ... so, if you are talking "choppy" like whitecap choppy, then I would want to drive the 214 first and make sure you like the ride ... boatshows are fun in the winter, but nothing beats a boat show on the water so you can actually try before you buy ... good luck.

stevo137
01-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I have had two MC's and do not own one at this time.

If I do buy another boat, it will be a Mastercraft.

It's about a lot more than just the boat itself.

You WILL NOT find a better group than this family of MC owners...

dapicatti
01-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Our X-2 has been great in choppy water. We have been amazed at everything the boat has been able to do. We too looked at other brands, but came back to MC for fit/finish etc....

ss4000+
01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
they are both great boats I own a 85 mc and a 95 ski nautique good luck:rolleyes:

KnoxX2
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
:twocents: This is simple just come here to Knoxville and tour the MC plant then you will see why MC is a great boat and IMOP far and away the BEST. CC makes a nice boat and I think that you are looking at the two best in the industry. However when you see how the MC is made I know you will buy a MC.

BTW I too have a X2 and our family loves it.

Check out the X2 switch (with the wake plate for skiing)

sand2snow22
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
MC JD ratings are pretty damn good, too....

I'll take the X2, X1 or X14. The other boat's floor is too high. I feel like it's easy to fall out of the boat. Plus, you lose valuable seating space with the walk through transom?

How big is the chop on your lake, again?

Overdraft
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
The lake is 7 miles by 5 miles. By and large, the chop is only about 12" some days with the odd nasty day to 18" -24" At, 21' and a bit - and 3500 lbs, the x 14 should be plenty good to bring the mother-in-law out without too much grief.

I wish they would have engineered a wake plate of some sort in the x 14 - might have added a little more flexability - although what has been engineered might be just fine too - will have to see...

The boat will be used just to cruise around the lake 50% of the time so ride is important.

DooSPX
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I think the best for you would be the X-2.... a friend of mine has one, and I have to say its really nice, TONS of room, and nice wake for boarding and a pretty decent wake for skiing. I think the x-14 is not worth it for you. it seems to be that you want a great family boat that is comfy, good ride in some chop, decent ski wake, and nice boarding wake. the X-2 takes the cake.

btw, a dealer like BAWS can put a plate on any boat to flatten the table out.

Overdraft
01-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Love the styling of the X2 - did the plate make the ski wake better?...I know the wakeboard wake is great on the X2 but what about the ski wake?

PendO
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Love the styling of the X2 - did the plate make the ski wake better?...I know the wakeboard wake is great on the X2 but what about the ski wake?

ANYONE who claims that the wake of a V-drive is adequate for slalom skiing isn't skiing fast enough thru the wakes ...

Ric
01-30-2007, 08:52 AM
welcome draft
this thread should make for some nice wintertime chat!

CottagerGreg
01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Overdraft-
I think the key factor here is Buckeye Marine... these guys are awesome..

I was ready to ink on a new Malibu but wasn't keen the dealer... they seem to just give the basics.. (mind our distribution has changed now)

One weekend in late summer went over to Buckeye to see a Demo X-1 they had... The savings made it all the more attractive. It was everything that was promised, no catches, everything on the plate.

Peter our sales guy just blew us out of the water. The time spent talking about the boat, ownership, value added was second to none.. Promises were kept, no glorification, just honesty.

I've worked in the auto industry for 6 years and let me tell you...no sales guy ever was like that..

There is a reason why Buckeye is the ONLY Canadian dealer that is in the Top 100, and the ONLY 5 star certified dealer in Canada. Heck they are top 30 in North America... god a dealer from Bobcaygeon? The Poole's run a great establishment.

Just like our Mastercraft, at the boat show we got a little princecfrat utility boat from them... Its the experience... I have a princecraft dealer 6 mins down the road from my house... did I go there? Nope bad service....

Correct Crafts are from Pride Marine Group in Ontario... I don't know about you but they aren't in the Top 100 for customer service...

Neighbor has a Crownline... I guess his experience has been ok... other than them spilling oil all over his yellow mooring cover... (fixing only half, causing two different colours)

feel free to msg me for some feedback... I was shoppin for almost a year... plenty of research too.

PendO
01-30-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't know about you but they aren't in the Top 100 for customer service...

while I am all about buying from a good dealer ... recognize that becoming a top 100 dealer also has a lot to do with filling out a bunch of paperwork ... some dealers are small and choose not to participate in the process of being labled a top 100 dealer, others are large and it is an ego trip to be in the top 100 dealers so they make sure and cross the t's and dot the i's ... a dealer is only as good as his service department, and the service department depends largely on whether the dealer has commited time and $$ into proper equimpent and training of employees, and whether the dealer is willing to spend $$ to hire AND retain great employees

Next time I look to replace my 197 the only other model I will seriously consider, fit and finish, is a CC SN206 (since I need the open bow with my family size) ... and with the storage arrangement on the new mc 214 I will not even consider it ... so somebody buy my 06 and I'll do a 197 v. 206 comparison for 2007:)

CottagerGreg
01-30-2007, 11:38 PM
The dealer I was refering to isn't small... they have 3 locations and Buckeye only has one..

could be that they don't want to participate.

Service deptartment is key.. It's nice when you have one of the best dealers in your back yard.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
I have had two MC's and do not own one at this time.

If I do buy another boat, it will be a Mastercraft.

It's about a lot more than just the boat itself.

You WILL NOT find a better group than this family of MC owners...
X2................;)

Hoosier Bob
01-31-2007, 12:34 AM
If the quality is the same and the reputation is the same why buy FUGLY? Sorry but as a CC supporter for many years I can say MC builds functional, Competitive, Friendly, reliable and BEAUTIFUL rides!:D

sand2snow22
01-31-2007, 12:45 AM
Next time I look to replace my 197 the only other model I will seriously consider, fit and finish, is a CC SN206 (since I need the open bow with my family size) ... and with the storage arrangement on the new mc 214 I will not even consider it ... so somebody buy my 06 and I'll do a 197 v. 206 comparison for 2007:)

Rod said you were going to get a Wakecraft!!

dapicatti
01-31-2007, 12:55 AM
They are at the Seattle Boat show this week....................:D
Just what you need

PendO
01-31-2007, 01:02 AM

Funny ................... yeah, we are trading the Xstar and the 197 for a new Wakecraft ... straight across:)

Byrdman
01-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Before I bought, I compared the 211 to a MC 2005 X-2, which I bought, and although I'm a wakeboarder, here are the things I did not like about the 211. It tries to do everything, ski & wakeboard, and IMO, comes up short on both. It feels smaller inside than my X-2, the seats were not comfortable because they are thinner. The rear seat is removable and it has a "kickstand", I dont know who thought of this idea, but I know it would be a matter of time before I broke it. The overall capacity is 9 people, where the MC is 11. The front bow area was smaller. and the walkthrough transom take away from storage, and on a 21' boat you need all you can get. The towers are strong, but are ugly, imo, and they dont follow the lines of the boat very well. CC does not make their own trailers, biminis, board racks, etc. so when blinged out the accessories dont go well together.

Now for the positive stuff, fit, finish, and build quality are right up there with MC, as expected.

Either way you go, you will have one well built boat, but IMO, you really need to demo each for half a day to make up your mind.

Overdraft
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
So folks...thank you all very much for your opinions. I decided today to pull the trigger on a new X -14 but with a traditional Mastercraft logo on the sides vs. what in my opnion is a hideous 'x 14' graphic making the boat show circuit. Opted as well on the LY 6 - 400 HP power plant which is again, all new for this boat. Scares me a wee bit as I haven't ridden, skied or taken a test drive in it but its a Mastercraft for goodness sake. Furthermore, when you go through the options on the market - for what my family wanted, only the x -14 and the CC 211 met the criteria. I loved the Maristar/ X2 size and layout but I preffered the wake of the 197 (hopefully 214/ x14) is very similar. In the end, the styling of the boat - along with a plain old good gut feeling - won the day. A little outside my budget but its' going to be a 20yr boat so what the heck. Production slot is April for delivery 1st or 2nd week in May - just in time for the official start to Canadian summer - May long weekend..Won't even break it in and it will be time to store it - oh well..

Hoosier Bob
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Wow! Post pics! Keep us informed. I thought and still believe the 209 is one of the best "Do it All" rides I have ever been around. That being said the 214 has a lot to live up to. No Water Ski Mag test and no 209 in the current magazine. This is sad as the MC clearly dominated the "Do it All" class!

Overdraft
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
HB...the web site now has some 214/ x-14 pictures and specs loaded if you wanted to see a couple of snaps and specs...

sand2snow22
02-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Congrats on the new boat.....I don't think you'll have a shortage of HP....Good choice on the graphics.....What color(s) did you go with?

Blair
02-14-2007, 12:46 AM
congrats Overdraft... if you dont mind me asking where in canada are ya at?

im hoping that well be able to get into the water prior to may long... dry suited up of course

Overdraft
02-14-2007, 07:17 AM
I get to stew .....I mean I have been stewing...on colouring for another couple of weeks before I have to firm up with dealer but I am leaning to white deck, navy blue body, white hull concept with navy/ tan accents inside. MC on side is white bordered in black - classic styling for an old guy like me (44)... I looked at hundreds of pictures in the Prostar gallery in the 'Forum' which was a huge help - but my eleven year old boy is wanting Red so I may be swayed yet...

What makes it difficult is that there are not many photos of the x 14 out there so I am not sure what the best combination is or what the boat will ultimately look like. She has some nuances in her shape that change the look of it dramatically when you play with it on the 'build a boat'.

Overdraft
02-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Blair...we are in near Ottawa - I was kidding on the May long weekend but you get the idea - I think our boating season is only slightly longer than yours.

Was just in PHX Arizona with some buddies on a golf trip two weeks ago. They are mostly from Calgary but 6 are from Edmonton. Those lads can go pretty hard...

rick s.
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
the x14 with the ly6 should be a hottie!

Blair
02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Blair...we are in near Ottawa - I was kidding on the May long weekend but you get the idea - I think our boating season is only slightly longer than yours.

Was just in PHX Arizona with some buddies on a golf trip two weeks ago. They are mostly from Calgary but 6 are from Edmonton. Those lads can go pretty hard...

haha yeah we know how to party around here...

and yeah may long is usually around when we get our boats out... i have a few hardcore friends that will go out 1st or 2nd week in may

congrats on the boat again... we bought ours in the fall of 2005 and 2006 was the greatest... never had so much fun with my parents...