PDA

View Full Version : East TX Skier, Jr.

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Did I mention to anyone that we ordered one of those HO Infant Neoprene life vests. Looks as if my wife will be the designated (boat) driver this year.

August 14 due date.

Anyone still want to fight me over the August pic on the calendar? :D

We're toying with some good ole, traditional east Texas names. So far, the favorite is

Cooter Roy

Farmer Ted
01-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Congrats Doug!

How much you want for your boat? LOL! You know I chuckle when I see that as an excuse a boat's for sale.

What about Festus or Billie Ray Jack?

ski_king
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Congrats Doug!

Look forward to all the fun time ahead!
Mine are 14 and 17 and are now skiers and great boat drivers.

Mag_Red
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Congrats Doug!

Look forward to all the fun time ahead!
Mine are 14 and 17 and are now skiers and great boat drivers.Yeah....congrats Doug! :friday: Mine's 15 and a crappy driver :rant:

Ric
01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Congrats
Ahhh those sleep free nights are great!
Hey Mike Munn pulls classes with his little one in a carseat strapped in his 190

Ben
01-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Congrats, we're in the same boat. 8/27 will be #1. Looks like we'll be using the tilt wheel a bit more this summer.

If the wife suggests names I don't like, I always reply with, "If it's a boy, I really like Buck". That is a joke up here, but may be acceptable down there.

Lance
01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Congrats. Will this be your first?

MarkP
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
What a surprise.:dance: . Congratulations :woohoo: Doug and Mommy east TX

bcampbe7
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Congrats Doug! :friday:
My wife is getting baby fever also. I told her Tylenol may work for that. :D
I want a kid, just not yet...

Bubba (boy or girl ironically) always works in the South.

Leroy
01-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Congrats Doug! You'll almost never want to turn back to before kids once it happens.

Welcome to the rest of us fitting boating between piano lessons, soccer, basketball, volleyball, tennis, school, play days, and guess for you bull riding, rodeos, and horseback riding! ;)

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the well wishes all. We're very excited. It was nice to hear her docter say she could drive the boat. She's a little bummed that she won't be skiing this year (snow or water).

1. Not selling the boat ... ever. My wife would kill me.
2. Cooter Roy is a joke name, which is a tradition in her family. Her brother was "Rufus Levis" and even has a framed, fake fishing license to memorialize who he could've been. We figured we'd stay with somethig that sounded like a pair of pants.
3. This is the first baby and it was intentional.
4. As for sleepless nights, I hear Children's Benedryl works well once they are 9 weeks or older. ;)

mitch
01-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Congrats Doug, that's great news!! I actually did sell my boat when I found out wife was preggo w/ twins. That was a 14 years ago, and it was a good decision then, **and** I ended up in IB's shortly therafter, so all in all a good decision. Cooter Roy is good name, sleep on it, you have time!

Footin
01-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Congats Doug!

How Elvis for a boy and Bambi for a girl. These are the names I wanted but my vetoed them. (I can't image why)

Tom Wortham
01-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Doug,
Congrats! Keep us posted if it's a boy or girl (or both / twins) EEK. Glad to hear you are keeping the boat. Great to "rock them asleep" in. I have two boys, 5 and 3. Oldest snow skiied last year. He's ready for the water this summer. Best Regards.

Vern Swieringa
01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Congratulations Doug,

I have two and teenagers and they probably cost an arm and a leg, but I'm sure not counting. Nothing can compare with the joy children bring to your life. All those sleepless night will be over before you know it. Just have fun and enjoy them while you can, they grow up pretty fast.

G-man
01-07-2005, 02:43 PM
congradulations Doug,
We got our first inboard when my daughter was 3. She would ride in the open bow area and before you would know it she was asleep. moral of the story if the kids can't sleep go for a boat ride. See now you have another reason for an open bow.

george

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
More thanks.

Footin, those names will definitely go on the list. My wife' step mother is horrified with the idea of Cooter (even as a joke). Elvis and Bambi may be good alternatives with which to threaten her sensibilities.

Yup, looks like the open bow was a good choice afterall. Maybe I can teach him/her (sorry doesn't look like twins), to lean over the bow and work the smart timer until Daddy (me) can get magnets installed on the course. ;)

NeilM
01-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Congrats Doug! You could probably add Billy Bob and Billy Jo to your list, although I suspect those are found usually a little farther east...

' glad to hear you're keeping the boat.

dmac
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
I echo my congrats as well. And, having put down the deposit for the wedding/reception facility AND purchasing the wedding dress for the bride to be (and a prom dress for her sister) all in the last two weeks, my advice is enjoy them while they are little and save up.

I clearly remember rocking them to sleep as babies, wondering how they would grow up, etc. Before you know it, they are driving and wanting their own cars. Unfortunately I don't get a fleet discount.

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Texans, please call your state reps and tell them to lift the salary cap and pay the govt. attorneys more money. Daddy's gonna need a new pair of everything. :o

dmac
01-07-2005, 06:23 PM
If I still lived there I would. Both girls born in Ft. Worth.

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Appreciated, but really, I'm joking. Although I'd prefer no salary cap. I'm not a pro athelete for goodness sake.

André
01-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Congrats to you and Mrs East!Hope everything is gonna go fine!
That kid has a good chance to like waterski...
Good luck!

P.S.
André sounds good...Just an idea! :eek3:

Professor
01-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Congrats...and I vote for Cooter Roy. If we talk the Reps into the budget increase do we get to pick the names? Should be easy, most are attorneys right? Have to admit, I have not worked with many of those guys since I left D.C.

lakes Rick
01-07-2005, 08:34 PM
It actually depends on your last name...

Some REAL names here..

Local news caster Lars Larson

The wolf brothers, Red and Grey

Ex news guy here Tim Burr.. We have alot of trees here

The Balls named their son Harry.....

Leroy
01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Those are good Rick. Maybe Footer Skier, son of East Tx Skier. Would fit in here!

We used to have a Les Moore at work. Priest from ~8 years ago was named Father Sunny Day.

jimmer2880
01-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Congrats...

My .02 worth - do your own research about health/delivery, etc decisions. Doc's make mistakes also. It's a good feeling to be able to say "we wouldn't change any decision we made". The internet is full of good stuff (imagine a MC board for pregnancy)

It'll be fun!

bradamerry
01-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Congrats Doug, it will change your life. :love:

T Scott
01-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Congrats Doug.....Children ar so much fun! I have a Ski Skimmer (training sled) that my kids will have probably outgrown by the time your child is ready to learn to ski. I'll have to send it to you. One word of advice during pregnancy and always...KEEP MAMA HAPPY! If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy! Good luck.

Tom

PS- I vote for the name Roscoe :)

Dan K
01-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Congratualations Doug,
You should expand your preference on names to include those related to skiing like Andy etc...

You will find your life pretty busy but very rewarding.

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Congrats...and I vote for Cooter Roy. If we talk the Reps into the budget increase do we get to pick the names? Should be easy, most are attorneys right? Have to admit, I have not worked with many of those guys since I left D.C.

Don't worry about the D.C. guys, I'm talking about state reps. I'm a state employee.

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 11:32 AM
One word of advice during pregnancy and always...KEEP MAMA HAPPY! If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

The Texas variation of that is "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." I used to have the bumper sticker.

Ric
01-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Texans, please call your state reps and tell them to lift the salary cap and pay the govt. attorneys more money. Daddy's gonna need a new pair of everything. :o
I will make that call today. I mean, certainly they will understand your needs.

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Hey, I've said it before. I'm not a pro athelete. Why should my salary be capped.

Ric
01-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey, I've said it before. I'm not a pro athelete. Why should my salary be capped.
time for free agency

tex
01-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Congrats-Doug-I would go with a traditional name too, maybe, Sammy, Lucky, or Freddie!

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
time for free agency

If I didn't love what I do so much and it didn't afford me the kind of free time I know I'll relish when Jr. does arrive on the scene, I'd say you were right.

Thanks for the suggestions, Tex.

Ric
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I think that has a distinct value.
send me an email on the details when you have time because I dont pretend to understand the pay scales etc...

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 04:56 PM
I think it has great value, too.

Really not much detail. As of two or three years ago, I, and other full-time staff attorneys are statutorily prohibited from making more than a set amount, regardless of whether the State has money in the budget, and even regardless of whether enough money is allocated to our court and the court wants to give us a raise.

bcampbe7
01-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Looks like Texas is $10K+ lower than the National Average.
Time away from work is worth a lot though...

Ric
01-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I think it has great value, too.

Really not much detail. As of two or three years ago, I, and other full-time staff attorneys are statutorily prohibited from making more than a set amount, regardless of whether the State has money in the budget, and even regardless of whether enough money is allocated to our court and the court wants to give us a raise.

ok but does this same statute mean that no matter how little your court is allocated, your pay is prohibited from being reduced?

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I feel I lead a good life and all. But to put it in a way that makes it hard to forget, the State of Texas spends more money painting the white lines on its highways than it does on its judiciary. Don't even get me started on the yellow lines. ;)

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Does Texas pay more for the electric in Ole' Sparky than lawyer fees?

Ric
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
lethal injection in TX

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I often hear that it is more expensive to execute someone than to imprison them for life. Does anyone have the figures on this? I feel fortunate that I don't have to work on death penalty cases as they are all subject to mandatory appeal to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Thus, they skip the intermediate appellate stage.

OhioProstar
01-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Doesn't a few states have a "Multiple Witness" clause that fast tracks people to the sleep serium? That makes sense to me, if more than a few witnesses can place you as the killer then your a&& should be put on a first class ticket to the underworld. Sorry I think I started this thread off the intent:

Congrats!!!! :dance:

east tx skier
01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I appreciate the congrats. I think I sent this one periolously off track. No idea about the answer to your question. I don't think Texas has that Multiple Witness clause, but I could be wrong. Like I said, this stuff doesn't cross my desk.

bcampbe7
01-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Comedian Ron White has a skit about this.
Something like "most States are trying to abolish the death penalty while Texas is putting in an express lane..." :D

Professor
01-11-2005, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]Don't worry about the D.C. guys, I'm talking about state reps. I'm a state employee.[/QUOTE-- - - - - - - Okay......

captkidd
01-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Doug, Congrats to you and the Mrs. Your life is certainly going to change in the most wonderful ways. The sleep deprivation only lasts for a few months (hopefully).

Don't hold your breath on using the Benadryl; you'll find that new mothers are mighty protective of their little cubs. They'll search the entire Internet for information before giving their child any kind of medicine. Don't worry, you'll learn to appreciate this protectiveness and probably be just as bad in your own ways.