PDA

View Full Version : Late 80s Trailer Design

loeweb
01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey all, the trailer on my 88 190 is impossible to load by yourself. The lake I ski on has a fairly steep ramp, and it is very difficult to load/unload. Anyone have suggestions/ pictures of modifications they have made to make this trailer more functional and user friendly?

PendO
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey all, the trailer on my 88 190 is impossible to load by yourself. The lake I ski on has a fairly steep ramp, and it is very difficult to load/unload. Anyone have suggestions/ pictures of modifications they have made to make this trailer more functional and user friendly?

Hey man ... you do realize that it is an 18 year old trailer?

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 02:40 PM
If your problem is the bar, there's a link in the FAQ thread of BriEOD's boat buddy mod. Might be helpful.

chudson
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Know what you mean, my trailer always seemed to high in the front so I got a hitch that is adjustable up and down. I set it to a lower position which puts the front of the trailer lower and it makes loading the boat alot easier. I would not suggest towing that way cause it does not trail good in the lower position. Pain to adjust but it makes unloading and loading mush easier. Hope this is helpful, goodluck!!! ;)

Ric
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Hey all, the trailer on my 88 190 is impossible to load by yourself. The lake I ski on has a fairly steep ramp, and it is very difficult to load/unload. Anyone have suggestions/ pictures of modifications they have made to make this trailer more functional and user friendly? oh could I tell you some stories...

Ric
01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey man ... you do realize that it is an 18 year old trailer? are you saying he's out of warranty?

loeweb
01-26-2007, 03:06 PM
I should have clarified. It is the loading bar that must be held up to get the bow eye snapped in.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I should have clarified. It is the loading bar that must be held up to get the bow eye snapped in.

We (or brian I should say) got you covered. You'll need some welding skills (or someone that has them) and a boat buddy.

loeweb
01-26-2007, 03:14 PM
We (or brian I should say) got you covered. You'll need some welding skills (or someone that has them) and a boat buddy.

Welding skills I don't have but I know a fella. Thanks

chudson
01-26-2007, 03:15 PM

This could help if I get what your saying!!!

http://hitchsales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=21141&Category_Code=203&Product_Count=0

BrianM
01-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Yep the bar sucks. Although I never made the mod to my '88 as I always had someone competent to help me load and fortunately nobody ever lost a finger. As for steep ramps with that trailer the key is to first submerge until the bunks are completely wet then pull the trailer out until there is about 2" of tire showing. The trailer will be in reallly shallow but it works well on a steep ramp.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Welding skills I don't have but I know a fella. Thanks

You're welcome. I never had to deal with that setup, but from what I understand, it's a PITA. Good luck. If you have any questions, drop Brian a line. I'm sure he'd be glad to walk you through any of it that's not evident from the pictures.

Having had some welding done on my trailer, I can attest that it's not terribly expensive. Can of white krylon or rustoleum after primer will do fine for matching paint if you have a white trailer.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Just cleaned up the FAQ so all the pictures show up together.

To make it easier, here is Brian's Mod.

Before Shot

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-2.jpg

After Shots

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-3.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-4.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-5.jpg

TMCNo1
01-26-2007, 03:47 PM
The Boat Buddy and stand was introduced on the 1990 model boats. Until then the bow bar was the current technology MasterCraft used. Your local dealer can get you the stand and the brace bar from Mastercraft and you can buy the Boat Buddy complete with long boweye at most any marine supply or MasterCraft and modify your trailer like I did when I rebuilt it in 1997 as seen below. You already have the winch and strap I assume. If you choose to modify it to this system, I have the dimensions and drawings from Mastercraft for setting it up for the 1987 to 1989 Prostar and TriStar trailers. PM me your name and address and I will gladly sent you a copy of this info in the mail.

Kevin 89MC
01-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Yep, I converted to the Boat Buddy as well, just copied a 90's era factory MC trailer. Got the steel from a friend of mine, had a buddy weld it up at work. Painted it to match the trailer, and been smilin' at it ever sence. MUCH easier to load by myself. I did it once with the bar, never again.
I'd re-post my pics, but they are on my work computer. Mine's similar to TMC #1 (only not nearly as nice!) I'd highly recommend it.
Good luck.

whitedog
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Heres the mod on our 1988 SMP trailer, no boat buddy but works just as well. Had a post made and added a custom folding hitch, raised the trailer by 1" and added 14" wheels. Welding and materials cost under $150.00

Do what Brian suggests at steep ramps and you will be fine. Trailer does not need to be in the water as far as most people think.

SkiDog
01-27-2007, 08:41 PM
The Boat Buddy and stand was introduced on the 1990 model boats. Until then the bow bar was the current technology MasterCraft used. Your local dealer can get you the stand and the brace bar from Mastercraft and you can buy the Boat Buddy complete with long boweye at most any marine supply or MasterCraft and modify your trailer like I did when I rebuilt it in 1997 as seen below. You already have the winch and strap I assume. If you choose to modify it to this system, I have the dimensions and drawings from Mastercraft for setting it up for the 1987 to 1989 Prostar and TriStar trailers. PM me your name and address and I will gladly sent you a copy of this info in the mail.

Harold, you got more NUT covers on that trailer than a football team has jockstraps!:D

BriEOD
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm a little late to the party here, but I see Doug posted my handy work. I'd like to take that bar and beat the moron that invented that bloody thing with it. Do yourself a favor and weld on a stanchion and mount a boat buddy on it. It is night and day!

TMCNo1
01-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Harold, you got more NUT covers on that trailer than a football team has jockstraps!:D

You got to protect them nuts, ya know!:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Monte
01-27-2007, 10:40 PM
You got to protect them nuts, ya know!:rolleyes: :D :eek:

So they're kinda like jock straps for the trailer :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
01-27-2007, 10:45 PM
So they're kinda like jock straps for the trailer :rolleyes:

And cups, just keeps ya from sitting on them!:eek: